The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I recently purchased a Need Essentials 4/3 with a built in hood, based on a rec from a friend. The zip system is very similar to the chest zips on certain Oneill suits where it's already connected and you just pull the zipper across. Neoprene seems nice and flexible. It has a fluid weld on the outside seams, stitched and taped on the inside. Got that fuzzy material on the inside which gives it some extra warmed as well.

It does seem to flush water into the suit a little bit. The area above the zipper and off to the side, the flap that comes over the neck, lets some water in. I tightened the cinch cords which helped out, but I'm curious to see how it does in bigger surf when I'm getting thrashed in the whitewater.

Overall a comfortable suit, reasonably priced. We'll see how it holds up in the long term.

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yesterday I wore my older Ripcurl zipfree flashBomb+ because my current Isurus and backup Matuse were both wet. It's 4-5 seasons old now, but man, water was just pouring in every seam. It was a great suit for 2.5-3 years, but time for the donation bin at Birds. FWIW its zipperless entry still easier to get in/out than any chest zip.

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Just got my second 3/2 needessentials suit. The first one lasted me two years before I slashed the leg open on one of my fins. This time I got the one with the taped seams and thermal insulation. Definitely keeps the water out better and the thermal lining dries really fast and keeps me warmer. Good price for a good suit.

Reactions: Bman76 and Iceman
Mar 1, 2010
liking my oneill psychotech so decided to pull the trigger on a mutant i saw in stock. still have a couple months b4 i can switch to the 4mm but considering finding the 5mm was so difficult i don't want to be in that situation come may. changing all my suits over from xcel more so bc the fit is perfect on the oneills. super comfy and stretchy as well

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Just got my second 3/2 needessentials suit. The first one lasted me two years before I slashed the leg open on one of my fins. This time I got the one with the taped seams and thermal insulation. Definitely keeps the water out better and the thermal lining dries really fast and keeps me warmer. Good price for a good suit.
need essentials on. thanks for the honest review...next suit will be...

Reactions: SD_Dan

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I recommend as well. They aren't the most flexible suit, but they are really warm. Second season in mine. No water getting in yet.
I'll be rocking the all 2/2 full s/s. will report...but itll be a year. LOVING my rip curl of the same style....but it doesnt seem to be holding up so great...then again....wear and tear is the price of flexibility...and i DO use it a sh!tton

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I need to carry on the debate, smoothie v no smoothie.

Just got the Psycho One I ordered and somehow I hadn't noticed it doesn't have smoothie anywhere. I haven't had a suit without smooth skin on the chest and back in many years so I am sort of concerned it might be an issue. I realize some of you are very tuff and think a 4/3 is overkill in socal, but I am a big wuss and I get cold. I am considering returning it but they don't have any other suits I am interested in (hyperfreak or psychotech) in my size (large). They do have the mutant in my size but the beefed up thickness will really be overkill for down here.

Does anyone with a newer Psycho One find the lack of smoothie leaves you cold when the wind kicks up?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Does anyone with a newer Psycho One find the lack of smoothie leaves you cold when the wind kicks up?
have a psycho1 4/3 from this year and i don’t miss the chest smoothie at all. I think this is what helps with flexibility, too.

I do have a quicksilver 4/3 with smoothie and the “fleece“ on the inside for when it’s extra cold, but that’s like SF/Marin in the fall and when I need the mental toughness in SD but am almost always too warm in it if wearing booties or lots of paddling.

iirc, psycho1 has never had the chest/back smooth.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I need to carry on the debate, smoothie v no smoothie.

Just got the Psycho One I ordered and somehow I hadn't noticed it doesn't have smoothie anywhere. I haven't had a suit without smooth skin on the chest and back in many years so I am sort of concerned it might be an issue. I realize some of you are very tuff and think a 4/3 is overkill in socal, but I am a big wuss and I get cold. I am considering returning it but they don't have any other suits I am interested in (hyperfreak or psychotech) in my size (large). They do have the mutant in my size but the beefed up thickness will really be overkill for down here.

It's a new 4/3, you should be fine for the rest of the season regardless.

I'd keep it and see how it goes.

Guys here seem to really like em.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to suggest it did. I just goofed and ordered it thinking it was the PsychoTech.

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards sticking with it because my current 4/3 just sh!t the bed and I still want some extra warmth beyond my 3/2 some mornings.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I am more concerned about the long term without smoothie. It seems to help keep even worn suits a bit warmer with the wind blockage.

Reactions: rowjimmytour