Pe'ahi January 2021

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Laird, David Kalama, Derrick Dohnner and maybe a few more were known as The Strapped-In Crew in the early days of using ski boots / bindings, windsurfing foot stirrups, on surfboards and later on tow-in boards and foils. Those guys were the genesis of what you're seeing today.There was a vid on YouTube years back when those guys were testing "straps" at some break. Can't remember. Credit, where credit is due ~

Billy has talked about shaping "foam and wood boards" for towing, in the early days for Laird over a bottle of Black Label Scotch in the evenings sitting around shooting the bull ~ :beer:

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Laird, David Kalama, Derrick Dohnner and maybe a few more were known as The Strapped-In Crew in the early days of using ski boots / bindings on surfboards and later on tow-in boards. Those guys were the genesis of what you're seeing today.There was a vid on YouTube years back when those guys were testing "straps" at some break. Can't remember. Credit, where credit is due ~

Billy has talked about shaping "foam and wood boards" for towing, in the early days for Laird over a bottle of Black Label Scotch in the evenings sitting around shooting the bull ~ :beer:
Say what you want about Laird but his accomplishments cannot be denied.

Reactions: Boneroni

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Say what you want about Laird but his accomplishments cannot be denied.
Ummm?? I believe my comment " credit, where credit is due" was confirming your "his accomplishments cannot be denied." comment. My first paragraph states the beginning / genesis of tow in surfing and his strapped in crew and the follow up of his Dad, Billy Hamilton in building / shaping of different types of boards either foam or wood boards for tow in surfing.
I was in no way, down playing Lairds accomplishments. If you've surfed Hanalei at one time or another, you'll eventually surf with Laird. He's just on a whole different playing field in the ocean.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Ummm?? I believe my comment " credit, where credit is due" was confirming your "his accomplishments cannot be denied." comment. My first paragraph states the beginning / genesis of tow in surfing and his strapped in crew and the follow up of his Dad, Billy Hamilton in building / shaping of different types of boards either foam or wood boards for tow in surfing.
I was in no way, down playing Lairds accomplishments. If you've surfed Hanalei at one time or another, you'll eventually surf with Laird. He's just on a whole different playing field in the ocean.
Apologies just agreeing with you.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

There was just a very small clutch of guys thinking completely different dynamics of surfing which also included WINDsurfing where Laird, Kalama and Cabrina also excelled at on Maui. "Strapped in" were the foot stirrups that were used on sailboards eventually transferred from sailboard to tow-in board. By doing so, one got rid of the sail, the rigging and the oversized sailboard moving to the smaller and much more maneuverable tow-in board.
"The Rescue Ski" which Makaha Lifeguard Brian Keaulana brought to the forefront with the "bullyboard" attached to the rear of a jet ski enhanced the "Rescue performance" and tow-in capabilities immensely in safety concerns and speed when needed to remove ones self from harms way.
And that yellow helicopter showing up in Hanalei, blazing up the center of the Hanalei River and landing in Laird's yard can mean that he's headed somewhere or coming back from an outer reef.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Muscles

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta

There was just a very small clutch of guys thinking completely different dynamics of surfing which also included WINDsurfing where Laird, Kalama and Cabrina also excelled in on Maui. "Strapped in" were the foot stirrups that were used on sailboards eventually transferred from sailboard to tow-in board. By doing so, one got rid of the sail, the rigging and the oversized sailboard moving to the smaller and much more maneuverable tow-in board.
"The Rescue Ski" which Makaha Lifeguard Brian Keaulana brought to the forefront with the "bullyboard" attached to the rear of a jet ski enhanced the "Rescue performance" and tow-in capabilities immensely in safety concerns and speed when needed to remove ones self from harms way.
Uber respect for them. I'm blown away by how smooth Liard makes it look. It's like his board is immune to the chop. Around 1:18 he even looks really stylish in a heavy situation.

Kai, IMO, seems to be doing the same things as those guys, to a degree. I like his surfing a lot and it's always fun to watch someone have fun, which he seems to have. Kinda a little like Mason

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
all a bunch of toob dodgers!

straight off adolfs the whole pack of them, then and now!

:shameonyou::monkey::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Toobs are taken or attempted when presented at one's own satisfaction for any size wave. Surfing and completing the ride attempted, should bring the rider the satisfaction that he is / was looking for. Your attempt at tomfoolery, is duly noted. :poke:

toobdodgerout ~ :nana:

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Aspiring Straight Off Adolf ova heee!

We're not worthy, we're not worthy, we're not worthy!!!!

(Dana Carvey voice there ^^^^)

:poke::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::nana:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
In all seriousness, my preference is picking them off in the deep water, well before they crest... and riding them until my 7" fin is in danger of getting a volcanic rock close shave. Many times, on my knees lately even since spinal cord fusion tricks.

:shaka:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I remember the last 'la nina' when we had just as many clean days as this year, but not nearly this kind of swell action. It has been non-stop since early December. Crazy time to be alive. :jamon:

On the flip side, Sierra snowpack is 52% of average.

huge....

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Today is the first day I can remember, probably well over a month, that the NS is flattish. I can finally catch up on chores. WHAT A WINTER!!! Oh, I heard there's a 1 meter south swell coming this weekend. Lahaina waves!

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
There's no denying that 12 year old kids talent (and balls), but would you as a parent let your 12 year old do that?
They've probably got back ups.
In all seriousness, it depends how prepared you know he is. Have you seen him hold his breathe for a minute while swimming underwater? Have you seen him take a big wave on the head? On more normal days at Peahi and the outer reefs of Maui there are plenty of tow in and kite surfing adults putting themselves on waves that I suspect they'd barely survive should things go wrong. I really encourage my kite friends to go out and paddle some big waves with me when there's no wind to get the fear back and some experience in what getting rolled feels like.

Reactions: rowjimmytour