First time snowboarding, where to go?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
one thought about CA snow is Sierra Cement and learning do not go hand in hand.

harder to feel out edges on ice, heavier and wetter snow to move off the board, and harder pack to fall on and break your butt.
you can get those conditions anywhere

had the same type of snow in Colorado last season, and Utah the season before as I just did in the sierras this season.

California has some great resorts, and if you know anything about watching the temps and weather you can ride soft snow most of the time.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal

had the same type of snow in Colorado last season, and Utah the season before as I just did in the sierras this season.

California has some great resorts, and if you know anything about watching the temps and weather you can ride soft snow most of the time.
PlumpFag. Cali is ruined...

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
<iframe width="727" height="409" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Love
Reactions: Northern_Shores

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Also, if you're just starting out you dont need the most vertical, fastest lifts, most runs, most snow, etc....hell even if you've been at it for years you don't need any of that to have a great time. What you want as a beginner is no ice, minimal lift lines, scenery, not feeling like someone is always on the verge of running into you and a town/village that's really going to make you feel like you're on a snow vacation. Interior BC, although not an option this year is probably the way to go.

If you're dead set on either Colorado or Utah take a look at someplace like Ski Cooper/Leadville. Watch out for the altitude. Also keep in mind that sometimes April can be the snowiest month in Colorado

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Skip anything too close to either SLC(park city) or Denver if you dont want to spend most of your time in lift lines. Anywhere near a big population center and on the epic or ikon pass is not what you want. Hit Telluride, easy connecting flight from dallas into montrose and an an hour ride from montrose to Telluride.
Is that based on this year or prior years?
I’ve done solitude and snowbird the last couple of years, and on weekdays there were no long lift lines
Curious what lines are like this year

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Aloha,

At 38 years old in life, I have never been snowboarding and have only seen snow a few times in my life. My son who is born and raised in the Caribbean has never seen snow but loves to surf.

We are going to take a family trip to Colorado or Utah end of February or beginning of March.

Looking for a place where we can post up for five days and not have to go anywhere. Would prefer not to have to rent a car if possible but will consider if its a better way to go.

Not looking to break the bank at some posh resort but not stingy either.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, input you might have.
I love Colorado terrain but like these posts say PC is no brainer for first time. Grab an SUV from Fox, they are half the price($150wk) of the other rentals but you have to take a shuttle. Not in terminal.

Gear is easy to rent at Aloha in downtown PC. If you need some cheap warm gear hit Columbia at the outlet mall in Kimball Junc.

Canyon side of PC is really nice to stay at, more resorty. Can get decent airbnbs at Red Pine Condos. They have nice hot tub and sauna that's great for sore muscles and talking story with other travelers. Higher end rent the timeshare condos that are everywhere. Also, they just opened a Yotel if you don't mind a small place with a Murph. Free shuttles will pick you up anywhere In neighborhood to get to the lifts.

Park City side is the old town. Lots of shopping, art galleries and food. Haven't rented places there but many great places to grind at the end of the day.

Terrain wise you can find good beginner stuff on either side. It's massive resort and varies depending where you go so just explore. If you surf or skate then you'll pick it up quick and be wanting to hit intermediate stuff by end of the day. Plus, you'll ride better once you get off the flat stuff.

Pm me if you want some more insider tips. Have fun.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Is that based on this year or prior years?
I'm not flying out west to ski this year but both, especially in March when alternating spring breaks happen. For this year sub the denver/slc area residents working from home with season passes for spring break families. Although I'm guessing the Texas families wont give a sh!t and still flood Summit Co. The whole reservation skiing might be an issue for someone planning a trip and relying on buying lift tickets at this point.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Also, if you're just starting out you dont need the most vertical, fastest lifts, most runs, most snow, etc....hell even if you've been at it for years you don't need any of that to have a great time. What you want as a beginner is no ice, minimal lift lines, scenery, not feeling like someone is always on the verge of running into you and a town/village that's really going to make you feel like you're on a snow vacation. Interior BC, although not an option this year is probably the way to go.
Beaver Mountain is like this on the weekdays. Cheap too.

Also, quit while you're tired. There is always tomorrow.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
north star in tahoe is pretty cool, especially if u are staying in a "ski in ski out" lodging
ive snowboarded around 5 times, started around 45, no lessons, no problems

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Wow! I knew the erbb folks were good people, but damn you guys are gold! Thank you so much for your input and taking the time to give me all the suggestions. I have read them all with the wife and this has helped a ton!

Park City, Telluride, and Tahoe all sound like great options. I have a friend in Tahoe so maybe I should look into that more. But Park City really seems to check all the boxes. BC also sounds very appealing but I guess that's out this year.

Thanks again everyone. I've learned a lot and super grateful for this community here! Stocked!

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

count the icy days in Tahoe vs Utah over the last 10yrs and get back to me. OP didn’t ask about strike missions.

learning means falling a lot. falling in Utah is softer than falling in Tahoe 90% of the time, every time.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Wow! I knew the erbb folks were good people, but damn you guys are gold! Thank you so much for your input and taking the time to give me all the suggestions. I have read them all with the wife and this has helped a ton!

Park City, Telluride, and Tahoe all sound like great options. I have a friend in Tahoe so maybe I should look into that more. But Park City really seems to check all the boxes. BC also sounds very appealing but I guess that's out this year.

Thanks again everyone. I've learned a lot and super grateful for this community here! Stocked!
Tahoe zone is fun with lots of options big and small. Reno airport is easiest, Sacto second, and bay area airports third for ease of access.

How big is your boy? I might have some lightly used gear I could float you.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Thanks for the offer afoaf! He's 10, about average size for his age.
ok, I'll dig in the vault. I def have a shell, I probably have powder pants for that age.

if you gear up, focus on a bib or at least powder pants with integrated suspenders

you're going to spend a lot of time on your ass and it's more fun when the snow is
not going down the back of your ice laden pants