Pyzel Ghost?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
How much better do these paddle than say a CI Fever in roughly similar volumes.

Swell coming, need a board that fits that nice gap between paddling well to fight the current and fitting in tight pitching barrels at the local point break.
I have a 6'4 Fever and a 6'5 Ghost. Both stock dims and great boards.

The Fever and Ghost paddle about the same in the water. The Fever maybe a little less since it's a tiny bit less volume. However, when the waves are pumping or I'm in steep pitching waves I feel like the Ghost has an edge. It seems to have just an extra split second when paddling into a big wave. I agree with others when they say it catches waves exceptionally well. I've never been sketched out on the 6'5 in stock dims and I've taken it up to DOH. I would never attempt to surf the Fever (A squash tail perf board) in waves where I'll gladly take the Ghost.

All that being said, I surf my Fever more than I do my Ghost based on the conditions I normally encounter.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
6'4" fever is 36.6L and 6'5 ghost is 39.2L. Thats 2.6L. Not sure how that qualifies as a tiny bit. Not trying to argue here, guess my experience is different.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
no, that is significant.

Obviously the volume in the Ghost scales up quicker than then Fever.

It's got nothing to do with experience, they are just numbers mate.
You read them off the chart.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I guess I didn't realize they were that different. I never really pay attention to volume. Anyways, the Ghost doesn't really paddle that different from any other shortboard that I own. Catches waves much better though.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Would a Ghost offer more control in waves of size than a Seaside? Undoubtedly, yes.

Is a Ghost the best board for a novice surfer? I'm going with probably not.
Agreed. If you can't surf a HPSB, Ghost is probably not a good choice. Maybe a better design would be an all a rounder with a round pin such as the Hypto or something similar.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Patterson's Italo IF-15 is even easier than a Ghost. When I was emailing with Timmy he said guys in their 50's are ripping on IF-15's. He said he's never had a board that's designed for a CT guy but that so many regular joes have been ordering and loving.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Proton is an epic board but it is so hard to ride in anything other than perfect waves unless you're Dane. I'd much rather surf my ghost than the proton.

IF-15 is next on my list.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Patterson's Italo IF-15 is even easier than a Ghost. When I was emailing with Timmy he said guys in their 50's are ripping on IF-15's. He said he's never had a board that's designed for a CT guy but that so many regular joes have been ordering and loving.
I agree with that.
I found IF-15 easy from first wave.

took me a little bit more time to figure out rocker curve of Ghost. It definitely wants to surf a certain way. Feels completely natural to me.

Reactions: waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
oh. this glowing thread made it seem like The Ghost just auto-paddles you into the barrel of your life at Pipe. LOL
Wait what, it fucking doesn't?!
OK, scratched off the list now.

I agree with that.
I found IF-15 easy from first wave.

took me a little bit more time to figure out rocker curve of Ghost. It definitely wants to surf a certain way. Feels completely natural to me.
I was sold on one after your review on it. Been wanting a Gunter Rohn shaped board for a long time, and your write up pushed me over the edge .

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc