Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Geez! The squared surf keels are huge compared to the fascination fins!

Been surfing these two fins in the El Tomo lately and ive come to conclusion that the surf squared fins are great if you want speed and control, but a little too wide for tight turns.
The Fascination fins felt incredible after putting them back in after riding the surf squared fins for a few days. Super good pivot, but still have nice hold... and the stiffness on the Fascination feels better than the SS.

I was thinking about putting the surf squared on the frontside rail and the fascination fin on the backside rail?

Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
How have you guys modified the GX for good wave duty? Just switch for a round tail or did you play with rocker?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
How have you guys modified the GX for good wave duty? Just switch for a round tail or did you play with rocker?
I have. A few years ago I did a step up GX - roundtail - slightly narrower than my DD and a little blaider on the rails and left the rocker up to Tim. Only really have put it through its paces in Bali (Overhead Ulu)and Playa Hermosa. Worked as good as Id hoped. Only wish there were days around these parts Id actually need a board like that. Thing collects alot of dust but I guess it should last me forever.

Reactions: MathDebater

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Similar to above, I‘ve got a gx round tail which is 3” longer, 0.5” narrower than my DD. Works exactly as you would expect. Still gets in early and overall low rocker but pulled in outline to keep it out of the way.

unfortunately the world decided to stop producing waves in SD and I’ve rarely gotten to use it. have paddled it out in less than stellar days here and there and have been happy enough to want to hang onto it.

you may also want to consider the Blindspot which is halfway between the gx and scarecrow. From what I can tell it’s kind of a gx outline with a more performance oriented rocker and foil.

Last edited: