If your car is stolen while surfing an you have one of those little lock boxes

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Those are even easier to break into. Look into 'relay attack on keyless vehicles'

The more techy cars get with their locks, the easier they will be to hack and break into. Sad but true.
I guess the only solution left is to steal some aliens from Los Alamos and keep them in the trunk.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Those are even easier to break into. Look into 'relay attack on keyless vehicles'

The more techy cars get with their locks, the easier they will be to hack and break into. Sad but true.
You can relay attack any vehicle. I'd feel much better about a door code than leaving a lock box with my keys on the bumper.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
I have always just stashed a key on the car, usually somewhere in the grille. I see those lock boxes on door handles all the time and am pretty sure they just signal an easy mark for an experienced thief.

I always check first and if I see a sketchy person casing me I'll ostentatiously appear to be putting a key in the wetsuit pocket. Then I'll casually slip the real key in the grille. Been doing this for 35 years. No perfect solution nowadays with keyless ignitions.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Years ago, a co-worker stashed his pick-up key under a fender. When he returned from the session, the pick-up was gone. Made a police report, contacted his insurance company etc. As I recall, sometime later he saw his parked truck parked in a strip mall. Used his second key to get int the truck and drove away. The truck bed was full of power tools, ladder, etc. Scored.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Years ago, a co-worker stashed his pick-up key under a fender. When he returned from the session, the pick-up was gone. Made a police report, contacted his insurance company etc. As I recall, sometime later he saw his parked truck parked in a strip mall. Used his second key to get int the truck and drove away. The truck bed was fully of power tools, ladder, etc. Scored.
So he reclaimed the truck from the robbers, who undoubtedly stole all the power tools from someone else, which means your friend then became the possessor of stolen goods. Nice.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: john4surf

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Do those lock boxes block the signal from the so-called smart keys?
yes they do. Masterlock hanging lockbox is best solution I've found for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. There's some oxidation from salt air/water eventually so I spray some lock lube on the latch and dials every few months

I have always just stashed a key on the car, usually somewhere in the grille. I see those lock boxes on door handles all the time and am pretty sure they just signal an easy mark for an experienced thief.

I always check first and if I see a sketchy person casing me I'll ostentatiously appear to be putting a key in the wetsuit pocket. Then I'll casually slip the real key in the grille. Been doing this for 35 years. No perfect solution nowadays with keyless ignitions.
I did that for 20 years too... until my Explorer was gone when I came in from a session. Some spots are more vulnerable than others, but all it takes is once.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I do the same thing at home that I do when Im traveling and surfing abroad. Dont bring anything with me to the beach besides what Im bringing in the water, the clothes i drove down with and my phone (leave the phone in hotel if im traveling). Then, I dont lock my car.

If someone wants to steal the t-shirt, underwear and shorts I sleep in - have at it! The phone is covered under insurance, and if they take the car - so is that.

• Wow
Reactions: oeste858

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Get an old-looking diaper smeared with chocolate sauce, place key in it on the beach anywhere you want. No way no how is someone picking that thing up, even the hippiest picking up trash at the beach person ever.

• Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I do the same thing at home that I do when Im traveling and surfing abroad. Dont bring anything with me to the beach besides what Im bringing in the water, the clothes i drove down with and my phone (leave the phone in hotel if im traveling). Then, I dont lock my car.

If someone wants to steal the t-shirt, underwear and shorts I sleep in - have at it! The phone is covered under insurance, and if they take the car - so is that.
Thanks. The undies fit great.

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
yes they do. Masterlock hanging lockbox is best solution I've found for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. There's some oxidation from salt air/water eventually so I spray some lock lube on the latch and dials every few months
:ROFLMAO:

Also one of the easiest out there. Can be done in about a minute.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Admit it, drainer. You just put a liberal amount of lube from that 55 gallon drum of yours under each of your door handles to dissuade thieves.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Sometimes and some places you have to "layer" the theft prevention.

First step is to have hardened steel lock box bolted hidden inside the vehicle with the lid locked with a solid lock.

Next, if it is possible, get 2 spare keys that opens the door only, the no "chip" kine.

Take one door-only key and wire it under your car with stainless steel wire and weather proof with electrical tape.
Hide it good and remember where it is. This key is just in case you lose the other one, it's the back-up.

Take all your small valuables and the regular ignition/door key you use all the time and lock it in the strong box discreetly before you paddle out. Throw your dirty laundry on top of the lock box if you have any.

Take a look around for hoodlums and quickly stash your # 2 door-only key with a magnet box in your secret location under car.

For really sketchy spots, lift the hood like you are checking the engine for trouble and carefully disconnect something that disables engine start up. Just remember what you did. Research first and be very careful with newer vehicles, you might not be able to do this type of thing.

This method won't prevent a break-in, but it might help to slow them down from stealing the whole vehicle.
And with a fancy new car this would be harder to do also. This is just to try and keep your daily driver surf auto in the parking lot till you get back from surfing.

...I am goingoutside now....now you know..... how to steal my car....

Last edited: