The Jordan Peterson Thread

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I think the far left gets triggered by JP because he disagrees with some of their foundational beliefs.

Then the far right cheers him.

JP isn't far right.

It's more about enemy of my enemy.

The marginalized left has legitimate gripes.

They need to do better job expressing them.

Within the far left are people making power grabs.

I see it at work daily.

Again, the crazy far right is running the country.

They are the bigger threat to the republic.
I agree that there are both crazy far right and crazy far left running about our country. But I'm not sure I agree with calling the Trump administration crazy far right. Perhaps I've missed some policy choices on their part though (Seriously, I've tuned out a lot due to the overall signal/noise ratio)

What policies and/or bills has the Trump administration and/or Republican led Senate pursued that you or others here would categorize as crazy far right?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
LOL, keep moving the goalposts. Yes, I agree that it's existence is gross. However you specifically said, "talks to academics" on YouTube, that transgender people can also hear him ".

They can only hear him by listening. So maybe try not listening?
I see, you stupidly took my point literally, tried to make a gotcha With it and that's now somehow my fault.

When I said trans people can "hear him" I didn't mean literally sit in front of the computer and listen.

I meant that transgender people are aware of JP's hate, even when he's not talking directly to them.

I answered to the point somebody made that JP is talking to academia in his videos.

Try to follow the thread of the conversation next time. K?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I see, you stupidly took my point literally, tried to make a gotcha With it and that's now somehow my fault.

When I said trans people can "hear him" I didn't mean literally sit in front of the computer and listen.

I meant that transgender people are aware of JP's hate, even when he's not talking directly to them.

I answered to the point somebody made that JP is talking to academia in his videos.

Try to follow the thread of the conversation next time. K?
So it took you half a dozen replies to clarify your position? I'm supposed to know you didn't mean it literally, how exactly?

Either way, my point stands. Ever hear the expression 'If you don't like abortion, don't have on'. Do you agree? Pro lifers are upset about the fact that people get abortions, but most of us are sensible enough to not want to change laws to appease those folks.

Same goes for NFL fans who are butthurt about players kneeling. Feel free to change the channel during the anthem or better yet, don't watch at all. Vote with your feet, eyeballs, and dollars. It's called freedom of speech and capitalism.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I agree that there are both crazy far right and crazy far left running about our country. But I'm not sure I agree with calling the Trump administration crazy far right. Perhaps I've missed some policy choices on their part though (Seriously, I've tuned out a lot due to the overall signal/noise ratio)

What policies and/or bills has the Trump administration and/or Republican led Senate pursued that you or others here would categorize as crazy far right?
I'm thinking of the freedom caucus in the senate.

I can get you those bills but not just right now.

I got a teach a Zoom class.

Here's some fun reading in the meantime.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Ifailalot said it and he still stands behind it.
That's because he doesn't consider the fair or the circus.

I don't care how much dumb stuff they fry, if there are no barnyard oddities or something resembling that dinner table in Freaks, it's just not a fair.

Ifallalot actually has the advantage over us in one major way - he's in a place that will have those fairs. And I think I speak for all of us when I say I want to see some pics/vids of two-headed gila monsters, eight-assed monkeys, dwarfs running on coals, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I'm thinking of the freedom caucus in the senate.

I can get you those bills but not just right now.

I got a teach a Zoom class.

Here's some fun reading in the meantime.

that is a small group of Congressional Reps, I don't think they've done anything substantial other than get John Boehner to focus on lobbying instead of legislating

I tried reading that before and got bogged down. It was all State level stuff though in the portion I read. Eventually I will try again

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
that is a small group of Congressional Reps, I don't think they've done anything substantial other than get John Boehner to focus on lobbying instead of legislating

I tried reading that before and got bogged down. It was all State level stuff though in the portion I read. Eventually I will try again
I get the sense that any refusal by Americans to go along with the collapse of consensus on public reason is being labeled "extreme right wing." For example, I don't want my kids exposed to pedophiles at the library. Extreme right wing! I think CRT is a pernicious Marxist philosophy and Marxism in all its flavors killed about 100 million or more last century. Extreme right wing!

Others saying the right and the left are an equal problem are punting on real problems: "I'm washing my hands of this whole thing!" What is right? What is left? How big is each faction? What makes the "extreme" on either side "extreme?"

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I disagree.

Checks and balances don't allow Trump to pass policies he'd like to pass.

HIs rhetoric indicates that.

His worldview is what makes him far-right, not the actual policies he managed to push through congress.
OK, go ahead and list out the legislation that either the Republican Senate or the Trump Administration has tried to pass and failed. That, plus stuff they actually passed and Executive Orders are what comprises their policies. Not him being a moron on Twitter. There is 4 years worth of history to work with there, this shouldn't be hard.

To be clear, I agree that the guy is often a moron on Twitter. I think some of that is due to his beliefs. I think some of that is him playing to his base and I think some of that is him tactically dominating the news cycle because the bulk of the media and the left keep going for that same bait on a daily basis. Sharkbiscuit probably wishes he had lures that were this effective.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
OK, go ahead and list out the legislation that either the Republican Senate or the Trump Administration has tried to pass and failed. That, plus stuff they actually passed and Executive Orders are what comprises their policies. Not him being a moron on Twitter. There is 4 years worth of history to work with there, this shouldn't be hard.

To be clear, I agree that the guy is often a moron on Twitter. I think some of that is due to his beliefs. I think some of that is him playing to his base and I think some of that is him tactically dominating the news cycle because the bulk of the media and the left keep going for that same bait on a daily basis. Sharkbiscuit probably wishes he had lures that were this effective.
Again why legislation only? His rhetoric caused unrest and rioting, his refusal to even acknowledge racism in policing, his not so subtle nods to far-right groups..... the list goes on.

How does that not make him far-right?
Is Squidly not far-right because he didn't enforce any legislation?

But since you asked, the Muslim Ban and putting kids in cages are just two examples.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
So it took you half a dozen replies to clarify your position? I'm supposed to know you didn't mean it literally, how exactly?
Who takes metaphors literally? Idiots.

Either way, my point stands. Ever hear the expression 'If you don't like abortion, don't have on'. Do you agree? Pro lifers are upset about the fact that people get abortions, but most of us are sensible enough to not want to change laws to appease those folks.

Same goes for NFL fans who are butthurt about players kneeling. Feel free to change the channel during the anthem or better yet, don't watch at all. Vote with your feet, eyeballs, and dollars. It's called freedom of speech and capitalism.
No your point doesn't stand.

Pro lifers are upset because, in their mind, they're saving babies.
They perceive injustice, right or wrong.
They don't have to have an abortion to know that.

Trumptards are upset with NFL kneelers because, in their mind, anthem kneeling is disrespecting the flag and the troops.

You don't have to watch NFL to be aware of it or to be bothered by it.

You can stop watching it and guess what, yep they're still kneeling and disrespecting.

Turning a blind eye to something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

You are so fucking detached from caring about anything or anybody (other than transgenders) that you can't imagine giving a sh!t about something that doesn't affect you personally but affects other people (transgenders).

• Haha

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Again why legislation only? His rhetoric caused unrest and rioting, his refusal to even acknowledge racism in policing, his not so subtle nods to far-right groups..... the list goes on.

How does that not make him far-right?
Is Squidly not far-right because he didn't enforce any legislation?

But since you asked, the Muslim Ban and putting kids in cages are just two examples.
legislation only because that is the policy, not trolling on twitter. I disagree that his rhetoric caused unrest and rioting, the rioters caused that.

Putting kids in cages is a holdover policy from at least the Obama Administration.

Agree on the initial rhetoric around Executive Order 13769, though I'd add that the main thrust was attempting to prevent additional terror attacks in the US. However I think they overreached. The Executive Order the Administration replaced that with (Executive Order 13780 and the Presidential Proclamations attached to it) stood up to a Supreme Court challenge so I think it ended up in a roughly reasonable stance.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Putting kids in cages is a holdover policy from at least the Obama Administration.
Trump administration is the one who introduced the family separation policy and enforced it with zero tolerance. If he didn't get told to knock it off by the courts, we would still have children in concentration camps.

Agree on the initial rhetoric around Executive Order 13769, though I'd add that the main thrust was attempting to prevent additional terror attacks in the US. However I think they overreached. The Executive Order the Administration replaced that with (Executive Order 13780 and the Presidential Proclamations attached to it) stood up to a Supreme Court challenge so I think it ended up in a roughly reasonable stance.
So Muslim Ban attempt was not a far-right policy that was ruled illegal by the SCOTUS for that reason?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

There is also Stephen Miller's creating immigration policy.

The SCJ pick that is about to happen.

Reactions: plasticbertrand