Mexico/Central America retirement

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
LOVED visiting and surfing Iguana. It's flat-out amazing. But i get why FlyinRaptr got sick of the Karens. it's not like we ever got attitude as visiting surf-tourists, but all of the homeowner/expat nagging and BS from neighbors, especially in such a bubble, would drive me insane. Mr and Mrs Raptr are as laid back as can be, and walk the walk, learning the language, volunteering in a myriad of ways, etc. Totally get why they bailed further south.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
This is the first property we built in Nica - about a 100 yard walk to Colorado's. Subway and his wife stayed here a couple of times. This is what started it all for us.

View attachment 96916

This is the house we originally built to retire in .... about a 10 minute walk to Colorados or Panga Drops - 2 minutes by golf cart! Yes- that is a pizza oven.

View attachment 96917

This is the view from the bedroom of the house i'm currently building. Overlooking the bay at San Juan Del Sur - if you look closely you can see the statue of Jesus on the hilltop to the right of the bay. Before Covid - we would see Cruise ships dock in the bay - at night when they were all lit up - pretty cool to see. Can't wait to check out the view from the pool with a cold one after a surf session.

View attachment 96918

So to answer some questions - we originally had been taking some vacations in CR before convincing Mrs. Flyinraptr to give Nicaragua a try. One walk on the beach - and she proposed the idea of buying property in Nica - i suspected her of smoking weed behind my back. We built the rental place initially and made 2 or 3 trips annually before the idea of retiring and moving to Nica became a reality. We knew the rental property would not be big enough - so we went forward with buying another lot and building the second house. My Spanish - experience consisted of listening to Pimsler Spanish tapes on my way to work - prior to moving ... needless to say my Spanish was very very limited. Having never purchasing property outside the US - the idea of buying property within a gated community with an existing infrastructure seemed like a safe bet ... we had read about and talked to people who bought property and built houses with no water, electricity, roads, security, etc and it sounded daunting and way over our heads at the time. Now that we have been living in Nica for 3 years - and have a better understanding of how things work and the lay of the land - building a house is still an extremely challenging experience and way more hands on than we had anticipated. But at the end of the day ... i think the third time will be the charm and the thought of not having to deal with an HOA or other ex-pat @holes is worth the effort.
Killer! So do I contact you direct for rental info? Want to check it out...
Thanks

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The first question you need to ask yourself is what kind of waves you wanna surf, how often, and for how many years.
I want to surf right point break, like Malibu or Rincon, but with no one out, every other day until I can no longer, so optimistic estimate another 15-20 years.

So, next question, where should I go?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I want to surf right point break, like Malibu or Rincon, but with no one out, every other day until I can no longer, so optimistic estimate another 15-20 years.

So, next question, where should I go?
paging gbg....

Reactions: gbg

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who is thinking of doing the same thing. He wanted my opinion and therefore showed me his finances so I could help with making the decision. I was like “ you’re a freaking Millionaire???” You’d never know it. Very frugal guy.....And he’s about to unload his paid off house for an additional 450k....He’s been making 110k last 15 years and was able to stash away 70k per year....shows what having no kids, no wife, no pets to hold ya back.....He’s only 50 years old too! I told him he should have sold it yesterday and once everything opens back up to travel around and find “that place” ....so happy for him, a bit jealous too but just motivates me to save harder...

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
JJR just got back. Another epic trip. Empty the entire time.

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
guys talkin retiring crunchy square hollow mex points sorry those dont age well in yor 70s then your stuck in shittown as a geezer no thanx

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Lots of days that are not too heavy.

As long as you dont get fat and keep up on stretching and spinal mobility, you can surf into your 70s. Surfed down there with a guy that was 68. Charging 10 foot faces.
did you ask if he did a lot of squats and dead lifts?

• Haha
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit