Can we talk about single concave vs single to double concave?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Personally I've felt 2 things in boards I've had with single to double.

Tail feels a bit looser in a good way.
A little extra squirt available in some situations depending on rider input.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with the concave.

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
My experience/take:
Single to double is easier to ride, and feels more 'normal', or neutral.

Deep single feels spicier and super fast when pumped correctly. It will pull you up the face of the wave, which takes some getting used to.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Slight single works for me in most cases. S-D in others. Also depends on the board.

Shapers who bad mouth concaves don’t know how to make them properly.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I've had/liked boards with both a great deal. OG Rocket is supposed to be a deep single, and it doesn't feel bad/sticky going rail to rail to me. Have several single/double, and I like them too.

GG's posts on feel of concave, the 'cup' getting sucked up the face when unweighting is spot on relative to my experience. And vitally crucial in the 6-8 second thigh-chest onshore bump slop when I want to quickly generate my own speed.

Reactions: Havoc

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Fin placements were moved forward to compensate

Flat uses fins slighlty further back to create that livelyness + a whole bunch of other wonderfull things ;-)

20 more years and it will be re discovered - with videos and team riders !

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Then there's two kinds of single to double. Some doubles exit in V, others are double concaves that are actually set into a single concave. Not to mention depth, placement of deepest part of the single... :waving: it's enough to drive one off of his rocker. (see what I did there? Have fun)

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
You know it's dark days when GWS starts busting out the puns. :dancing:

I had Stamps make me the same board but one with single con, one single to double. The single felt like it had a little more forward projection, a little more spark in small waves. This one didn't have the tendency to be sticky but I have felt that sensation in some single con boards, especially when the concave is deep and goes too far forward. The single to double Tim makes is an inset double. Compared to the single it felt like it rolled onto rail easier. Less zippy, instant speed but more stable and predictable. Felt more stable at speed so had a little more upper range.

My favorite bottom contour or at least the most consistent, just looking back at all the boards that I've liked the most, is probably a fairly moderate single to inset double. If the board is wide and flat, some vee off the tail doesn't hurt but for a shortboard thruster type board I don't like much, if any vee. For a Twin it can be good because it feels like it gives somewhat of a center point but for a thruster it feels like just amplifies that center fin effect and feels too planted. I don't seem to like boards where the double concave is extreme and begins too far forward near where my front foot is placed. Maybe for people with a different weighting bias it would work but for me they have felt slow and unstable.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Quad concaves laying Inside a Single Concave ("QISC")... from the middle of the board through to the tail can produce good lift, traction and speed. I wonder if anyone is doing this right now?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and JDJ

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Fin placements were moved forward to compensate

Flat uses fins slighlty further back to create that livelyness + a whole bunch of other wonderfull things ;-)

20 more years and it will be re discovered - with videos and team riders !
Every board with concaves has fins placed forward?

Youve seen them all?