Crowds at your local?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Def more people out. People looking for something to do, can’t blame them.

Mostly innocent folk just out for a float. Do their best to not get in the way or position to be run over.

Used to hate to see some of the other locals out because we‘d get aggro against each other about some snaking back and forth over 10yrs ago. Now, I’m stoked to see them and we guard off the peak.

Reactions: mundus

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The amount of guys from LA/Socal I see out in San Simeon now is always a bummer. Luckily it's not all year though. But sometimes I think goddamn, is there a brochure being distributed in LA that says this a must-stop for everyone on their way to Big Sur? lol

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We all need to start smoking crack and start selling crack to kids.

Remember back in the 70's when surfing was anti establishment and surfers were bums? That made it unacceptable to respectable society. The only black surfer I knew back in the day (whose last name ironically was 'White') was forced to quit because his parents said surfers were druggies.

Now pot is legal and hippies are hip.

Time to change the image.

Enlist the Russian fake news apparatus to create a media stir about the renewed crack epidemic emanating from surf culture. errBB needs to lead the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kento

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Surfing the wrong spots, I surf solo alot in winter.
You should see the sh!t show in my town. Here's the thing. I live right in the midst of the best waves on my island. We have a cluster of about 7 jetties that get good and the entire rest of the island pretty much sucks. I live closer to these breaks than nearly anybody that surfs them. My preferred means to get there is on my bicycle. Sure there are places I could go to escape the crowds but for the most part they all require me to get in a car and drive somewhere else and most of the time those other spots won't be as good as what I'd be leaving unless I'm willing to drive over a half an hour to your area or Hal's area. Trust me I make those drives at times to escape.

Here's the fooked up thing, a lot of the inland idiots that are already in their cars driving to my spots could actually be in the water a lot quicker and possibly surf better waves if they'd simply stay on the AC Expressway and drive directly into AC rather than exiting onto the GSP. I blame it on all the surf cams and the sheep herd mentality of 90% of surfers. It wasn't bad like this in the offseason until about 10 years ago.

Reactions: 000 and mundus

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
True enough, just can't hate the the guy though(dont know him personally)
No hate whatsoever. Have known him since he was a raging grom. He's drawing his own crowds now when he surfs those spots. That spot is in a very exclusive neighborhood and it wouldn't surprise me that if crowds keep showing up there like last week that surfing will wind up being banned there. Knowing how that town operates it wouldn't surprise me a bit. Those bagillionaires who own those houses on that point probably don't want that many people around their neighborhood. It will be done on the grounds of safety no doubt.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm guessing you didn't see his recent videos. He's sharing those inlet spots now with a thick crowd of his own making.
That's why I said "when he surfs the ocean-facing beaches instead of the inlets".

I also agree that hooting and hollering that loudly in that zone looks like a bad idea and a bit overblown in general.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
You should see the sh!t show in my town. Here's the thing. I live right in the midst of the best waves on my island. We have a cluster of about 7 jetties that get good and the entire rest of the island pretty much sucks. I live closer to these breaks than nearly anybody that surfs them. My preferred means to get there is on my bicycle. Sure there are places I could go to escape the crowds but for the most part they all require me to get in a car and drive somewhere else and most of the time those other spots won't be as good as what I'd be leaving unless I'm willing to drive over a half an hour to your area or Hal's area. Trust me I make those drives at times to escape.

Here's the fooked up thing, a lot of the inland idiots that are already in their cars driving to my spots could actually be in the water a lot quicker and possibly surf better waves if they'd simply stay on the AC Expressway and drive directly into AC rather than exiting onto the GSP. I blame it on all the surf cams and the sheep herd mentality of 90% of surfers. It wasn't bad like this in the offseason until about 10 years ago.
Were not you mocking people for not driving 2 hrs to catch the last swell?

• Haha
Reactions: r32

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
No hate whatsoever. Have known him since he was a raging grom. He's drawing his own crowds now when he surfs those spots. That spot is in a very exclusive neighborhood and it wouldn't surprise me that if crowds keep showing up there like last week that surfing will wind up being banned there. Knowing how that town operates it wouldn't surprise me a bit. Those bagillionaires who own those houses on that point probably don't want that many people around their neighborhood. It will be done on the grounds of safety no doubt.
I saw those recent videos and was thinking the same thing. The condos behind him look expensive and shuttered. Wait till those owners finally stay there one weekend when there's a crowd and it's over. Also when he showed the parking area it looked like one of those exclusive area dead ends but he had like 20 cars all piled up doing u turns and parked on the shoulders. Party over for sure. Rich people hate that sh!t.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Were not you mocking people for not driving 2 hrs to catch the last swell?
For solid overhead waves like last week I will drive if the waves at home are going to suck. My point is in the post above is regarding the day to day crowding. The best sessions we've had in the past year have mostly involved a drive to chase optimum swell and wind directions.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
For solid overhead waves like last week I will drive if the waves at home are going to suck. My point is in the post above is regarding the day to day crowding. The best sessions we've had in the past year have mostly involved a drive to chase optimum swell and wind directions.
A hypocrite always has an excuse.

• Haha
Reactions: GromsDad