THE GOODS

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Honda is the best.
Watts/120 volts = amps.
How much power do u need?

That Honda will run 1 kitchen counter circuit, or 1.25 residential circuits.

Meaning, you can light a couple of rooms and a t.v.

Or

A light and a hair dryer
good question, I need to sort through the various appliances/computers to figure that out

in general, should I be thinking go big or go home (to my cold powerless dreary house)

For instance the Honda EU2200i vs EU3000is? Use case would be extended blackouts (meaning 7 days or more) or earthquake

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
good question, I need to sort through the various appliances/computers to figure that out

in general, should I be thinking go big or go home (to my cold powerless dreary house)

For instance the Honda EU2200i vs EU3000is? Use case would be extended blackouts (meaning 7 days or more) or earthquake
Definitely get something to keep your fridge and freezer cold. That could pay for the generator itself. I have the 1000 watt inverter for camping, and a 3500 watt for when the shìt gets real.

Your wife will go all WAP on you when u made sure she is living fine, and the neighbors are cold and dark.

That there is some primal caveman provider action

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Yeah the Honda small engines in general are super reliable.
Pops stopped winterizing his Honda outboard. Left the motor outside all winter on the skiff unda a tahp in the yahd. Stahted up fine in the spring.
Skyline. Made in USA. Wicked shahp.
1597785097425.jpeg

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I recently got a Benchmade knife and it's def the goods. USA made and guaranteed for life.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Definitely get something to keep your fridge and freezer cold. That could pay for the generator itself. I have the 1000 watt inverter for camping, and a 3500 watt for when the shìt gets real.

Your wife will go all WAP on you when u made sure she is living fine, and the neighbors are cold and dark.

That there is some primal caveman provider action
Ben Shapiro does not approve...

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

Spend the $$$ if you go with the 3000 and get the wheels for that puppy. I have the 1000 & 2000 Honda's. My old K-9 unit bought them just because. They got used more at the PineTree's Longboard and Iron's Brother's Keiki contest. 10 hours, all day with maybe a small refill for the 1000. 2000 would go all day for the PA system.
** get the wheels for that chubby 3000 ** I've picked up the 3000 a few times to move when I was pounding nails .... uuugghh! worth a hernia ~

Reactions: the janitor

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Calculate your peak power usage by looking on the back of your appliances and seeing how much power they use and deciding how many you will run at the same time. You will likely have to not run everything at once. Get a transfer switch so that you can switch at least some of the 15 - 20 amp circuits in your house, particularly the ones running your kitchen appliances and your computer - over to the generator. Get an inverting generator. The quieter ones are more expensive but worth it. Soon, we will all be running generators. The noise adds up.

Paging @ElOgro

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Been trying to do it on my vehicle.

Solar and a dual battery setup. One batterey dedicated to charge and start. Second battery to charge and power the periferals. Add in a solar panel to put a charge on the periferal battery.

Buy a Dometic 65 Qt cooler. Dual Zone. Freezer/cooler. No more ice.

Coolers? Dometic??? A whole legion of choices out there. Which is best???

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
USA made/good steel Kershaw = wicked sharp.
Benchmade = scary/surgical sharp.
Keep them sharp =
View attachment 96458
I dunno, I've used those and just about every other sharpening system there is and what has worked best for me is one of these cheapo 1x30 belt sanders with these belts and the finishing belt is a leather belt that you use some rosin on. There's a reason why barber shops have leather strops. I can run through a pile of kitchen knives, etc. in a half hour and they'll all be really sharp when I'm done.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Calculate your peak power usage by looking on the back of your appliances and seeing how much power they use and deciding how many you will run at the same time. You will likely have to not run everything at once. Get a transfer switch so that you can switch at least some of the 15 - 20 amp circuits in your house, particularly the ones running your kitchen appliances and your computer - over to the generator. Get an inverting generator. The quieter ones are more expensive but worth it. Soon, we will all be running generators. The noise adds up.

Paging @ElOgro
I’m over the small inverter generators. We have gone through four in eight years. They are great for weight, noise level, and economical gas consumption wise but with the inverters give up at around 2,000 hours. My wife was in town last week and she brought back this
07C537F7-8DB5-4AE2-BA88-E8776586935D.jpeg
It’s not quiet and is a gas hog but has power to run the house and a 40amp battery charger. 120/240.

The deciding factor for the ogra was the electric start.:drowning:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I dunno, I've used those and just about every other sharpening system there is and what has worked best for me is one of these cheapo 1x30 belt sanders with these belts and the finishing belt is a leather belt that you use some rosin on. There's a reason why barber shops have leather strops. I can run through a pile of kitchen knives, etc. in a half hour and they'll all be really sharp when I'm done.
IMO if you were willing to put the time in to learn the technique, etc, nothing beats Japanese wet stones then a strop.

Someday I’ll get around to getting as good as my Pops was with Kitchen knives and a sharpening rod.

I posted the Spyderco b/c
1) If there’s any easier/better way to sharpen serrated knives, I’d love to know?
2) Pretty much idiot proof/no way to ruin one of your good knives

Reactions: Aruka and Icu812