***Official Central Coast tourist madness thread***

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
The perfect storm of everywhere else up and down the coast being on fake "lockdown", and the heat wave driving the valley people to want to sit in the sand next to the water.
They are everywhere. In mass groups. The masks are chin covers accomplishing little more than averting unwanted attention.

If thousands don't die in the fallout of this insanity, what does that mean?
There is still no cure, no treatment, and no absolute understanding of the virus.
Yet we have weekly crowds of protesters in SLO, and currently have an ant like influx of overweight families from places where it's still ok to wear Tapout clothing, dragging ice chests and beach umbrellas, from the grade down to the mesa.

I don't want us to clamp down to stop the spread of this virus (the tourists, not covid) i think a much better idea would be to let people live where they live, so they aren't forced to come here to live.

For now though, every day in the 805 is the 4th of July.

Still can't go to Hawaii because "think of the potential horrific damage if people were allowed to do what they are doing there, but over here"
But everyone from Palm Springs is in SLO County.

Reactions: Havoc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The perfect storm of everywhere else up and down the coast being on fake "lockdown", and the heat wave driving the valley people to want to sit in the sand next to the water.
They are everywhere. In mass groups. The masks are chin covers accomplishing little more than averting unwanted attention.

There is still no cure, no treatment, and no absolute understanding of the virus.
Yet we have weekly crowds of protesters in SLO, and currently have an ant like influx of overweight families from places where it's still ok to wear Tapout clothing, dragging ice chests and beach umbrellas, from the grade down to the mesa.

I don't want us to clamp down to stop the spread of this virus (the tourists, not covid) i think a much better idea would be to let people live where they live, so they aren't forced to come here to live.

Still can't go to Hawaii because "think of the potential horrific damage if people were allowed to do what they are doing there, but over here"
:ROFLMAO:
Walked the dog at Toro yesterday. Saw 2 vehicles shamelessly occupying 2-3 parking spots, one Suburu and the other your typical obscene Valley issue double cab longbed brotard truck. Now, I understand and accept that visitors are a part life on the coast, however some basic manners in a highly impacted parking area would be nice.

Went into downtown Cayucos a bit over a month ago on a weekend afternoon and it was unbearable. Ended up coming straight home without even grabbing lunch.

That said, I think everywhere nice is fooked when it comes to this sort of thing and I don't really expect any sympathy from anyone else here.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Why is the parking lot at C street closed all weekdays. Friday Saturday and Sunday the lot is open for every non mask wearing non local to infect everyone. Full lot, plenty of opportunity
for virus spread. Why is it closed during the week?

Reactions: steamroller

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Why is the parking lot at C street closed all weekdays. Friday Saturday and Sunday the lot is open for every non mask wearing non local to infect everyone. Full lot, plenty of opportunity
for virus spread. Why is it closed during the week?
Because there are no contests during the week?

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Yeeeeeeah, basically any beach is dealing with your issue right now. It’s hot af inland, people are over this shiz, and thebeach is pretty much the only place where people feel at least a bit “normal” in this shitshow. More crowded than I’ve ever seen it here before 9am, and I can’t blame ‘em.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'd do the same if my home was inland. I just wish they'd all go to Guad, Pismo and Surf Beach to cool off instead.

Reactions: dunnder

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'd never seen all the Dockweiller lots completely full like that before

• Wow
Reactions: rts265

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think beach overcrowding on heatwave weekends is independent of the virus and that opening "where they live" would not lessen the crowd. I assiduously avoid the beach on days like this past weekend, especially when there is no swell.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
How is it different than any previous summer? lol

Every year, the SLO chamber of commerce and others advertise the sh!t out of the CC in all kinds of magazines, tv, radio, web, etc. which brings a ton of tourists to the area for beach, wine, and castle time. Each year, more tourists seem to show up than the previous.

And in August, even more people here because Poly kids are returning at same time tourists are still here. It's been an increasing shitshow ever since Poly started accepting more students than they could handle, which began sometime in early 90s. Now they have new(ish) dorms and are planning to build more. But the CC just doesn't have the instructure.

Welcome to Santa Barbara 2.0. Enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
How is it different than any previous summer? lol

Every year, the SLO chamber of commerce and others advertise the sh!t out of the CC in all kinds of magazines, tv, radio, web, etc. which brings a ton of tourists to the area for beach, wine, and castle time. Each year, more tourists seem to show up than the previous.

And in August, even more people here because Poly kids are returning at same time tourists are still here. It's been an increasing shitshow ever since Poly started accepting more students than they could handle, which began sometime in early 90s. Now they have new(ish) dorms and are planning to build more. But the CC just doesn't have the instructure.

Welcome to Santa Barbara 2.0. Enjoy your stay.
Pismo is basically Santa Barbara 2.0. They even allowed visitors and businesses to be open downtown on 4th of July weekend. Can't get enough of that valley and tourist teet.

Can you still park for free in the lot south of the pier? If not, it's just a matter of time before that get's tethered off too.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014

Is the MDO area getting trashed with all the crowds up there? I cant stand the rv people down here in ventura area. They take up lots of parking spaces in a certain area and then stay inside the rv the whole time or sit outside in a chair look at their phones. Also these inland kooks stock up before they leave so no money is spent in local economy

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Upper SB has never been this crowded. I drove from the Tajiguas turnout east one weekend and cars were parked along 101 almost to Refugio (like 1.5-2 miles), and every little nook with usually a few cars is full on any hot day. RVs are parking overnight along the road and a bunch of n00bs parallel park on the turnouts instead of head/back in, along with the RVs. Yeah, then there's the trash, diapers etc.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Haha good one bro. It's changed massively since the 90s and they are going full-on Santa Barbara 2.0 now.

Fookin hell, but that's already completed, right?

The lot I'm talking about is the one right up against the creek outlet.

Either way, it's gone. Even driving through on a non-summer weekend is a nightmare.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Just like the rest of the CC, Pismo does not have the infrastructure and open space to deal with the kinds of crowds they have turned it into. Every open lot next to the beach is developed now from Avila to Oceano. Ok, expected, but consider how many hotels are now within that little stretch and it's way over capacity for the area. Arroyo Grande keeps growing towards SLO. It's changed so much.

Shell Beach was kind of the last little enclave on that side of the coast that would be empty when everywhere else was packed. Non-locals simply didn't know where to park or how to get down to that beach with the stairs by the hotel, or the water outlet down the road. But even that tiny little beach (which disappears at higher tide) is crowded all the time now, almost year round. It's really crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: stringcheese

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
605B7B3D-03D2-42D4-8987-4E6181F3E03E.jpeg
Friday was pretty busy here. But there’s not a lot of services around so if you didn’t get a spot you were probably just passing by.:shaka:
4B375AC4-8C78-413E-890F-0D5AFF805E12.jpeg
Saturday was a mess from Ventura north! Absolutely no where to park along the beach by 9am. We got lucky here and found a few open spots right above the beach.