Bruce is back

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I was never a fan of his surfing or his aggro dudebro-ness.
Too Alpha for you?
He was kind of a poster boy for the vacuous, super baked, high school dropout brobra. Like one of the Santa Cruz guys, but in Hawaii.
Fair point. It's funny when you are in your 20s because a lot of us were somewhere on that spectrum, but by your late 30s/40s+ . . . . Not so much.

The clip of him connecting into the shorebreak backside at the Eddie is friggin all time.

Reactions: JonnyAvenues

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
No surfer has ever been more over hyped than Bruce.
In his prime he was far and away the best free surfer in the world, from 2 foot to winning the Eddie his second time ever surfing Waimea on a borrowed gun. You can think whatever about his personal life, etc. but Bruce Irons is one of the most naturally talented surfers to ever step on a board. His surfing on the Pipe/OTW stretch in the nineties is still legendary.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
If YouTube existed at the time, Bruce would have been way bigger than JOB is now

Never had a problem with the "all I want to do is surf" attitude. All I want to do is surf, too. I just can't do it well enough to be paid for it, so I have to do other shlt that I don't want to do for a while.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've seen a lot of pro surfers throughout the years on the North Shore and I have to say that far and away the three fastest and most casual surfers I've ever seen in person are: 1. Dane Reynolds, 2. Bruce Irons and 3. Dave Rastovich. And a few notches behind them would be Parko.

Airs, big turns, barrels, floaters are all cool, but to me the most amazing thing to see is really fast surfers who look casual.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
I've seen a lot of pro surfers throughout the years on the North Shore and I have to say that far and away the three fastest and most casual surfers I've ever seen in person are: 1. Dane Reynolds, 2. Bruce Irons and 3. Dave Rastovich. And a few notches behind them would be Parko.

Airs, big turns, barrels, floaters are all cool, but to me the most amazing thing to see is really fast surfers who look casual.
There was a question on the ”Nine Club” recently about when was the first time you really noticed you were in the presence of a “professional skateboarder “. I thought at that time it would fit here. Please go at it ERBB rippers!

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
There was a question on the ”Nine Club” recently about when was the first time you really noticed you were in the presence of a “professional skateboarder “. I thought at that time it would fit here. Please go at it ERBB rippers!
Watching Tony Hawk and Kevin Stabb skate the keyhole at Del Mar Skate Ranch in 1985/86.

Super66

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 24, 2019
In his prime he was far and away the best free surfer in the world, from 2 foot to winning the Eddie his second time ever surfing Waimea on a borrowed gun. You can think whatever about his personal life, etc. but Bruce Irons is one of the most naturally talented surfers to ever step on a board. His surfing on the Pipe/OTW stretch in the nineties is still legendary.
It's all personal opinion but to me he wasn't the best surfer in his prime. He was great...one of the best. Unfortunately Bruces prime coincided with Kelly's freakishly long prime. Bruce surfed with a little less power than Andy but with a better air game. Andy was a better barrel rider. Andy was a better complete surfer. Watching Andy surf J-bay was incredible. I will say Bruces style was much more casual than Andys and that's a good look. For me, he never lived up the the hype of the Bruce movie.