Best Glassing?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
We have a thread about all the various space age technology, but who can do the best PU glassing?

I always hear "the Lab" is a must for Channel Islands.

I wont buy another board glassed at mystery, sure it could be the blanks but I've seen a couple of shapers boards from mystery that were like egg shells.

Any contenders for most bulletproof PU?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Friend of mine just grabbed a cobra killer ...lost twin and it already is getting tail cancer 2 months into use.
Pretty bummed for him. My Driver feels solid, only ding is from a UFC style flying knee to the nose.
Is it just a crapshoot?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
We have a thread about all the various space age technology, but who can do the best PU glassing?

I always hear "the Lab" is a must for Channel Islands.

I wont buy another board glassed at mystery, sure it could be the blanks but I've seen a couple of shapers boards from mystery that were like egg shells.

Any contenders for most bulletproof PU?
The Lab has been consistent. CI‘s in house glassing is good if you get the ’S’.

Bob Haakenson also.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
there used to be talk about vacuum sealed polycarbonate (sheet plastic) doing a super quick and strong "glass job" that would also be quite cheap
still havent seen one in person but i reckon it would put most glassers outta biz

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
+1 for The Lab
Global Glassing
Never had a board from them, but have also seen & heard good things about Lights Out Glassing
So, pretty much the reputable ones in Oceanside

Last edited:

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
My pyzels (I think from CA) have held up great. Anybody know who they use?

But the Griffins that were glassed in HI were the highest quality glass jobs I've had.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Stamps in house glassing is good. Hit the tail of my egg on a rock ,thought session was over But only had a small crack that my Fingernail couldnt feel.I have had good luck with Roberts five star glassing also. My haaks have been okish but last one had a couple pinholes. All of my Ci’s have been dog sh!t

Reactions: Waterlogged05

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
is that the shop dk owns/runs?

moonlight and custom make bullet proof poly glass

tim can make them light and surprisingly strong

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002

Looks like it is - that is awesome. Thanks for the info retodd. Makes me even happier about my boards.

Reactions: retodd

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009

Tim does and amazing job with glassing but it's not really a shop that you can get other shapes glassed there like watermans or moonlight

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Had a few Stacey's a while back that were glassed at the "Glass Lab" in Oz. Not sure if it was the blank or the glassing but they bulletproof. Minimal dents on on standard double 4 top single 4 bottom. Boards felt stiff tho, wonder if they would have felt better with a lighter glass schedule.

Worst I've seen are CI's have had the in house, the Lab and some of the others and they were all disposable IDK maybe it was soft blanks but had one split along the glass weave lengthwise between the fins for 8".

JS are always solid.

Chilli's are pretty weak too.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Had a few Stacey's a while back that were glassed at the "Glass Lab" in Oz. Not sure if it was the blank or the glassing but they bulletproof. Minimal dents on on standard double 4 top single 4 bottom. Boards felt stiff tho, wonder if they would have felt better with a lighter glass schedule.

Worst I've seen are CI's have had the in house, the Lab and some of the others and they were all disposable IDK maybe it was soft blanks but had one split along the glass weave lengthwise between the fins for 8".

JS are always solid.

Chilli's are pretty weak too.
the Glass lab in tweed is know to have weak glassing. CIs from there snap super easy.

I think bourton gets epic glass jobs just not sure where now.

kazuma is a great glasser

aussie blanks must be more dense as they dent far far less than American made boards