“I can’t breathe” 2.0

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
No. The consequences for shooting someone of one race are much different than shooting someone of another race. This is true even for police.

I guess my friend was holding scissors to defend his dad who was mostly-paralyzed. He saw a prowler outside and called the police. The officers arrived and told my friend to drop the scissors. I guess he didn't do it fast-enough and one shot him thinking he was the prowler or something. I wasn't there so I don't really know what happened. I do know It's really easy to do a lot of damage with a firearm very quickly.
That sucks. Typical police work, shoot first then ask questions later. Scissors must have been traumatizing - those damn German folk tales. Figures the protest didn't do squat in getting justice.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That sucks. Typical police work, shoot first then ask questions later. Scissors must have been traumatizing - those damn German folk tales. Figures the protest didn't do squat in getting justice.

I don't want to paint all officers with the same brush. I have friends who are cops and a lot of them put up with a lot. It's like other jobs - there are good and bad. The consequences are just a lot higher when deadly force is involved so you have to have people of high moral character doing the job when, unfortunately, such people are increasingly hard to find. The problem is compounded by the fact that Americans increasingly treat cops badly.

My friend who got shot had gotten into heroin and his life was on a downward spiral. My other friend had to knock him out during one drug-fueled incident. Either way, things weren't going to end well for him.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Part of the problem is 3 black people wrong fully killed in a couple of weeks, If I was Black I bet I would be mighty angry,

Reactions: plasticbertrand

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

I don't want to paint all officers with the same brush. I have friends who are cops and a lot of them put up with a lot. It's like other jobs - there are good and bad. The consequences are just a lot higher when deadly force is involved so you have to have people of high moral character doing the job when, unfortunately, such people are increasingly hard to find. The problem is compounded by the fact that Americans increasingly treat cops badly.

My friend who got shot had gotten into heroin and his life was on a downward spiral. My other friend had to knock him out during one drug-fueled incident. Either way, things weren't going to end well for him.
The cops have no one to thank but themselves for the distrust and hatred some feel for them. They refuse to police their own and are often backed up by the Just Us system.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

People increasingly treat cops badly because of their long and wide history of abuse of power, corruption, brutality, and cover-ups. Rodney King was a watershed moment as what had been (and is still) going on for decades was captured on video. It wasn't an outlier in the slightest.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
People increasingly treat cops badly because of their long and wide history of abuse of power, corruption, brutality, and cover-ups. Rodney King was a watershed moment as what had been (and is still) going on for decades was captured on video. It wasn't an outlier in the slightest.
Now with Tech it the reality is harder and harder to hide/deny. The corrupt police unions still give it their best though.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I find it odd that no one is mentioning the influence of neuroception on these bad outcomes.

It's the key to everything.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The police issue should not be racial, it happens to whites too, just not as often. Remember the crying drunk guy who got shot dead in the hotel hallway, or the swatting victim shot from hundreds of yards away? Both those cops were not charged, qualified immunity has to end,

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This is one of the trade-offs for handing your safety over to others: they may decide to oppress you rather than protect you.

Modern police forces date to the Metropolitan Act of 1829 and were brought about to control poor people who stole and committed petty crimes due to the poverty of the Industrial Revolution. Prior to that, we got by for thousands of years without them. Men policed their neighborhoods themselves.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
This is one of the trade-offs for handing your safety over to others: they may decide to oppress you rather than protect you.

Modern police forces date to the Metropolitan Act of 1829 and were brought about to control poor people who stole and committed petty crimes due to the poverty of the Industrial Revolution. Prior to that, we got by for thousands of years without them. Men policed their neighborhoods themselves.
Started out as slave catchers as well.