what to do with car key when in ocean?

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
The key under the tire thing is my go to when no lock box. The trick is not to make it obvious, drop the key and lodge it under the tire with a foot while being concealed from view. Sometimes the gas tank door if it’s raining or a little wet out, shock absorbers and ledges inside the bumpers work well too.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Threads like this remind me why electronic keys suck and why driving a shitmobile is preferable.

I can't believe some of you guys are still hiding your keys. Even electronic ones. There are easy alternatives.

If you've been doing this your whole surfing life and haven't been ripped off yet you're really lucky.

And also, as someone else said, this thread is a great place for thieves to get info.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Depends where you are. Here in the islands there are few if any people around and you leave your vehicle at the end of some bush track, often where you cannot see it From the lineup. Do not lock the vehicle! It’s easy for someone to smash a window and they will assume that there is something valuable in it if locked. I have made the mistake before but leave it open always now.
In Oz at more crowded locations the lock box is king. No one is going to smash a mini safe with dozens of other surfers around.
Years ago in Puerto Rico we just left all the windows down........same logic there. If you lock it the thieves will just break a window.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
what with corona19, and many hangin' out at home,
i figured the thieves would be hungry too...
they are.

a bro name of Jackie was hit last week at malibu.
a dude name of Charles was hit yesterday at sunset.
we beach~boy elders are still tryin' to warn surf crew to not hide the car keyz.

last year we had an arrest at the beach, a rip-off crew was goin' from topanga to sunset, hittin' it.
a male, black + a female, black, were arrested. i had been watchin' that car, that was impounded, since 2018.
they made some $.

1 woman, in particular, is very mad at me.
because, when i am not lookin' for jumpin' sharks, well i watch the neighborhood, ya might say.

she yelled at me again today, just as she has for a long time,
even though LAPD has came out to have a chat with her, with me too,
in December, in January of this year.
i might have to go to court...

Here is a cute lil' vid of this angry woman yellin' at me, last month,
on April 2nd, after chasin' me up PCH, yellin' all the time, sayn' that she is wantin to push me into traffic,
all because we, the old~sterz, are warnin' youngsters not to hide their car key on their car:
Please boyz, warn your fellow riders of waves not to hide their car+house keyz on their vehicle!
thankx, rw
:drowning:

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
they are.

we beach~boy elders are still tryin' to warn surf crew to not hide the car keyz.

last year we had an arrest at the beach, a rip-off crew was goin' from topanga to sunset, hittin' it.
a male, black + a female, black, were arrested. i had been watchin' that car, that was impounded, since 2018.
they made some $.

because, when i am not lookin' for jumpin' sharks, well i watch the neighborhood, ya might say.

on April 2nd, after chasin' me up PCH, yellin' all the time, sayn' that she is wantin to push me into traffic,
all because we, the old~sterz, are warnin' youngsters not to hide their car key on their car:
Please boyz, warn your fellow riders of waves not to hide their car+house keyz on their vehicle!
thankx, rw
Probably same person hit Topanga yesterday. The bastard didn't even have the common courtesy to leave the poor guys key. Ripped him off and left him locked out of his car. Probably 3 months ago had another guy at Red Lee Black Lee reef (El Porto) ask to use my phone. Same thing happened. At least they left his car unlocked for him.

He left a message for his wife and she called me back a few hours later. She was pissed screaming on the phone. I had to suggest that she might want to drive down to the beach and bag her husband who was stuck on the side of the road in his wettie.

• Angry
Reactions: ~rwright~

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
hiya feralseppo!
that dude name of Charles was hit mid~day, at the exit of Gladstones parkin' lot, which is closed.
he too had the car+house keys taken, left his car here on PCH overnight,
AAA towed it this afternoon, wish i had gotten his email or cellie #,
i kooked it...

i got pix of a poi, {person of interest} lookin', no not at thee surf, the ocean,
but towards where Charles was parked, and changin' to go then surf...

they wait, watch ya,
what ya gonna do with your car keyz?
f**kers.

i also happened,
as i've seen this rip~off sheee-it happen too many a time,
+ well, i know that LAPD likes license plates #'s,
so i got a few pix of him on PCH,
leaving...

give me some info,
time of day, any descript if ya can, of thee Topanga prob,
send it pm or even publicly here, it might help us bust another crew...

this poi i saw, photograghed was just 1 guy, a male, black, 'bout 6'4".
pix show him with a red cellie in right hand, glued to his ear, watchin' the vicinity where Charlie is parked at Gladstones exit, he has on a grey hoodie over his head, wearin' his facial coverin, too, thee hoodie has black or blue+white checkers on both long grey sleeves, a wrist watch is on his left hand, he was wearin' some kinda dark/black colored sweatpants with multi pattern stripes on the legs, + dark/black sneakers with dark/black shoelaces...

thankx for any help man!
randy
:)

Last edited:

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
hiya feralseppo!
that dude name of Charles was hit mid~day, at the exit of Gladstones parkin' lot, which is closed.
he too had the car+house keys taken, left his car here on PCH overnight,
AAA towed it this afternoon, wish i had gotten his email or cellie #,
i kooked it...

i got pix of a poi, {person of interest} lookin', no not at thee surf, the ocean,
but towards where Charles was parked, and changin' to go then surf...

they wait, watch ya,
what ya gonna do with your car keyz?
f**kers.

i also happened,
as i've seen this rip~off sheee-it happen too many a time,
+ well, i know that LAPD likes license plates #'s,
so i got a few pix of him on PCH,
leaving...

give me some info,
time of day, any descript if ya can, of thee Topanga prob,
send it pm or even publicly here, it might help us bust another crew...

this poi i saw, photograghed was just 1 guy, a male, black, 'bout 6'4".
pix show him with a red cellie in right hand, glued to his ear, watchin' the vicinity where Charlie is parked at Gladstones exit, he has on a grey hoodie over his head, wearin' his facial coverin, too, thee hoodie has black or blue+white checkers on both long grey sleeves, a wrist watch is on his left hand, he was wearin' some kinda dark/black colored sweatpants with multi pattern stripes on the legs, + dark/black sneakers with dark/black shoelaces...

thankx for any help man!
randy
:)
I haven't noticed anyone around matching that description. Guy that got hit had a Volvo SUV. He got out of the water about 2pm.

Reactions: ~rwright~

MBfreek

OTF status
Jul 22, 2006
crunchy SoCal beachbreak
I've been using this: SeaLine dry bag, Small. SeaLine See Pouch
I ordered some 3"x3" 6mil thick ziplock bags on eBay. whole car keyfob goes into heavy-duty ziplock, then that goes into drybag.
Has worked well so far. Car has proximity entry so once drybag is sealed up, no need to re-open. Can use remote buttons through the plastic as well. I wear bag on cord around neck under wettie. Kept cord short so it stays up high, so not in the way when paddling. Also can stick just below front of shoulder under collarbone. So far, so good. It's a tad bulky under the suit, but not a dealbreaker. Can tie to loop in thigh pocket for boardshort use.

SeaLine pouch, small.jpg

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I ordered some 3"x3" 6mil thick ziplock bags on eBay. whole car keyfob goes into heavy-duty ziplock, then that goes into drybag.
Has worked well so far. Car has proximity entry so once drybag is sealed up, no need to re-open. Can use remote buttons through the plastic as well. I wear bag on cord around neck under wettie. Kept cord short so it stays up high, so not in the way when paddling. Also can stick just below shoulder under collarbone. So far, so good. It's a tad bulky under the suit, but not a dealbreaker. Can tie to loop in thigh pocket for boardshort use.

View attachment 91452
Just get a waterproof fanny pack

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
they are.

they made some $.

thankx, rw
Interesting she seems so concerned with what you're doing.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Has worked well so far. Car has proximity entry so once drybag is sealed up, no need to re-open. Can use remote buttons through the plastic as well. I wear bag on cord around neck under wettie. Kept cord short so it stays up high, so not in the way when paddling. Also can stick just below shoulder under collarbone. So far, so good. It's a tad bulky under the suit, but not a dealbreaker. Can tie to loop in thigh pocket for boardshort use.

View attachment 91452
This looks pretty cool but...

...a couple years ago I was on the Big Island with a rental car that had a key fob (and no valet key). It still had an old school manual (stick the key the door) lock on the driver’s side. Went to surf and decided, fuck it, I’ll just stick the key/fob in my pocket figuring it would ruin the electronic opening.

Nope. Got out of water a couple hours later and the fob worked just fine.

Try at your own risk.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
hiya afoaf!
it is indeed, a pain in thee arse,
to realize that your belongin's have been stolen...

now~a~dayz,
whom of ya that surfs does not have their wallet, $, credit/debit cards, cell phone, maybe even your laptop or a camera, sk8, extra surfboard{z} in your vehicle? i had a board stolen up at some nook+cranny spot, name of el matador many years ago, waves were soooo pumpin', so glassy that december day, waaay better than radar towers that we surfed that morn', back when you could still drive on the sand{!}, thee thieves did not smash my dodge's windows to get it, nor the camper shell atop that ol' '91 pick~up truck, they pulled down hard on my tail~gate lever, got it opened up, stole 1 of 2 boards left i had inside, i never got that 1 back, though i have gotten other stolen boards, ah, returned to me in years past. the tail~gate was still pulled down open, shell closed when i, my bro got there, realized a theft had happened, but i had my car key on me, so we got back home, thee rest of my valuables were hidden, as was my buddy's, i've learned that thieves are not gonna spend toooo much time searchin' inside your vehicle when they go inside of it, they do it as quick as possible...

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Years ago in Puerto Rico we just left all the windows down........same logic there. If you lock it the thieves will just break a window.
Wildo 2x. Middles once. Marias too.

i leave car unlocked w/flip flops and tshirt in car.
Nothing else.

Reactions: CutnSnip

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Interesting she seems so concerned with what you're doing.
i hear ya!
weird to see a woman get made because i, we, thee underground surf community
are gettin' involved to stop thefts when we surf, dive, swim, sun~bathe, hang~out, yak', etc...

i told her,
this angry woman, yesterday, durin' our most recent argu~ment, err, discussion, done with social distancin' in mind,
that she, her friends too, would be sooo pissed if a buncha white surfer boyz went into her loc, her neighborhood,
and started breakin' into their carz, but she still luvs to argue with me about this theft issue,
"it's not yo' business, call the po~leeece!"

can you imagine a man, or an angry woman, arguin' with me, you,
about porch/package theft of merchandise that you had ordered online?
thee kinda sheee~it you see from those front door cams?
"it's not yo' business"!!!
WTF?
pffft...

for thee 'po~leeece',
well this is just a minor crime, right?
they hardly can be bothered, it seems,
for if you hide{?} your car key/house key on your vehicle,
well that was stupid, right?
and you went to college?!?

don't believe me, call 'em up, here in L.A.to report a car burglary.
they want ya to come to them, off SM Blvd near the 405 freeway, to file a report,
or you can wait for 2 to 3 hours, as thee boyz are over-worked, coverin' West L.A. + Thee Palisades,
yada~yada~yada...

l8erz,
:shaka:

Last edited:

MBfreek

OTF status
Jul 22, 2006
crunchy SoCal beachbreak
Agree with Randy. PD couldn't give a sh!t less about your car getting ripped off.
#1 PD would need to witness crime, AND
#2 witness that vehicle was locked BEFORE crime occurred
#3 even if perp arrested, no bail, and will be immediately released.

The crazy lady in the video, wtf. It's like helping the surf community is taking opportunity from her nephew or something.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Thieves like to hit the cars in my neighborhood, just across the Malibu/Palisades city line so that its Lost Hills Sheriff territory (unincorporated Malibu) instead of LAPD. As far as one can possibly be from the station or their patrol area.

A few years ago when they decided to purge the jails it was a small epidemic of thefts and home break-ins for a few months. Neighbors banded together and hired a full time rent-a-cop to patrol.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Someone posted one of these a while back. Hitchsafe. Cancels out the signal on the transponder key. My key won't allow it to be locked in the car. If i have my bike rack on the hitch, I just put the key in the Hitchsafe and leave in the car locked inside. Take manual door lock key into the water. Alarm goes off until I can open it up and get the key out. Annoying but works.

1590180741098.png