Watch out! Cyclist coming through

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Very cool.
Not really.

I service and build my bikes myself anyway, except for wheels.

My local bike shop was ran by an old, grouchy guy whose shop was like a bike museum. We became good friends and his shop was kind of like a hang out where you go and shoot sh!t about bikes and politics and cars, while he was blasting either Dylan or Coltrane from his vintage stereo.

He was very much a traditionalist, loved steel bikes and had an enormous depth of knowledge of history and design (he used to be a welder for Masi).

He would do quirky things, like he would take all bike size stickers off his frames and would not tell customers the sizes to encourage them to ride bikes first (and to prevent them from then going home and ordering same size online). He built many wheels for me and I bought many frames through him.

He always helped homeless guys with their bikes for free.

So naturally, I was hiding my Canyon from him. :poop:
I just didn't want to offend him but I think he knew where the industry was going and made his peace with it.

He's retired now and makes wooden canoes by hand in Oregon. Miss that guy and his shop.

Took some photos of him once. He raced on drop bars off-road before Tomac did it and long before gravel bikes were a thing.
View attachment 91312
Very cool.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Not really.

My local bike shop was ran by an old, grouchy guy whose shop was like a bike museum. We became good friends and his shop was kind of like a hang out where you go and shoot sh!t about bikes and politics and cars, while he was blasting either Dylan or Coltrane from his vintage stereo.

He was very much a traditionalist, loved steel bikes and had an enormous depth of knowledge of history and design (he used to be a welder for Masi).

He would do quirky things, like he would take all bike size stickers off his frames and would not tell customers the sizes to encourage them to ride bikes first (and to prevent them from then going home and ordering same size online). He built many wheels for me and I bought many frames through him.

I just didn't want to offend him but I think he knew where the industry was going and made his peace with it.

Why do you hate grumpy Chuck?

He's retired now and makes wooden canoes by hand in Oregon. Miss that guy and his shop.

Took some photos of him once. He raced on drop bars off-road before Tomac did it and long before gravel bikes were a thing.
View attachment 91312

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Not really.

Why do you hate grumpy Chuck?

View attachment 91312

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
You are going from a single speed to Ultegra required?

Get what you can get now, replace the components when they break?
don't come in here and fk with my retail therapy, dog

the Ribble bike looks rad

I think I'm just going to call local shops and see if anyone is sitting on some 2019 inventory
they are trying to move in endo/cyclo/gravel type setup

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
So if you buy a Canyon, if you take it to a bike shop for service/repair, do they give you some attitude?
Is Canyon the Firewire of bikes?

Support your local handbuilder.

This is where my 11 y.o. and I are at:

We researched the geometry of 7 kid's 26ers. Mashed up the numbers and came up w/ a template. Gonna trace it onto some eps I had laying around and shape it. Got the CF in the mail today. Found a Rockshox SID world cup CF 26" on ebay.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I want to build sailing outrigger canoes

I need to find a bay

There is a company in Nanaimo that makes expedition outriggers that can be sailed or paddled, or even have a 2hp attached. I met the guy years ago at some outdoor expo years ago. Vancouver Island is pretty rad. I'm trying to figure out how to live there.

Reactions: jkb