Watch out! Cyclist coming through

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
where are you looking?

I look around Rogue River area....
In late summer/fall, when the forests catch fire, Rogue River Valley air is rather unpleasant.

Then come the winter/spring/summer rains and overcast skies.

Not to say a person can't make the best of things though...before the spring melt on the upper Rogue:
1589990047075.png

And so help me, if anyone buys out that parcel of land I've been lusting over for the past 20 years with an all cash offer 20% higher than the asking, well, dangnabbit, why do you hate my retirement dreams so much?

PS
A friend lives a super low-key life in Roseburg, Oregon, as a vet (both small and large animal). She used to live in Seattle, Portland, and for a while in Oakland/San Francisco. She says that small town is somewhat rural Oregon isn't as idyllic as people image and that after a few months, charm is gone and grim rainy early fall, winter, and spring rain invokes feelings similar to being sick when everyone else is out enjoying a sunny 4th of July picnic.

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Moving to Oregon seems to have a high failure rate among Californians. Or maybe a certain failure rate? It's usually, 'cold, rainy, tired of hugging a wood stove 8 months out of the year, the neighbors are inbred hicks and the town is run by a religious cult, something something...'

But maybe you could make the Serbian accent thing work for you? Tell the rubes you're from Eastern Oregon where everyone talks like that. Assimilation will happen. ;)

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
A friend lives a super low-key life in Roseburg, Oregon, as a vet (both small and large animal). She used to live in Seattle, Portland, and for a while in Oakland/San Francisco. She says that small town is somewhat rural Oregon isn't as idyllic as people image and that after a few months, charm is gone and grim rainy early fall, winter, and spring rain invokes feelings similar to being sick when everyone else is out enjoying a sunny 4th of July picnic.
That's why I'd want to be somewhere in the Portland's orbit.
Plenty to do, makes winter more bearable.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Moving to Oregon seems to have a high failure rate among Californians. Or maybe a certain failure rate? It's usually, 'cold, rainy, tired of hugging a wood stove 8 months out of the year, the neighbors are inbred hicks and the town is run by a religious cult, something something...'

But maybe you could make the Serbian accent thing work for you? Tell the rubes you're from Eastern Oregon where everyone talks like that. Assimilation will happen. ;)
Judging from Aruka's Session Reports Oregon is heaven on Earth.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

My accent is a mish-mash of languages, most people think I'm Italian, though the more astute ones think I'm from South Africa. :unsure::poop:

I spent couple of years on and off in Portland and didn't mind the winters.
After living in the UK, they're a piece of cake. And also, snow!

Summers in Oregon are amazeballs, unless you live on the coast full time.

I think the key to surviving winters sane, especially in the boonies, is being able to afford to travel, escape and reset.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
My accent is a mish-mash of languages, most people think I'm Italian, though the more astute ones think I'm from South Africa. :unsure::poop:

I spent couple of years on and off in Portland and didn't mind the winters.
After living in the UK, they're a piece of cake. And also, snow!

Summers in Oregon are amazeballs, unless you live on the coast full time.

I think the key to surviving winters sane, especially in the boonies, is being able to afford to travel, escape and reset.
An early to mid February trip does wonders for beating the winter doldrums.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Ski.

I love winter. I love good fresh, light snow. A good untracked ski run through deep powder is like catching a set wave. Not snowboarding. Skiing. Grew up with guys like Scott Schmidt, Glen Plake at Squaw Valley. Nowhere near their levels. Even back then. But I could be happy doing it all winter long. Did a lot of trail riding with Scott out at Hollister Hills. A great guy.

Reactions: $kully

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal

You can't bring California with you. Or Serbia...

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Tell the rubes you're from Eastern Oregon where everyone talks like that. Assimilation will happen. ;)
I recommend saying it is the Basque accent. Eastern Oregon (mainly South Eastern)has had a bit of Basque immigration in the past and is now part of the regional make-up...not a whole lot, but enough to be noticed. Also includes NE California, North Nevada, and SW Idaho.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Being able to afford things like 'travel and escape' is why you move somewhere else.

Or wanting to be be able to pay off college debt ASAP in my case.

Edit:

Hey, there is a local bike builder who makes custom titanium frames. Be fun to try and see if there really is a big enough difference (from steel frame) to warrant such a price premium. Still, would it be all that wrong to bet I would get more bang for my bucks on better components and stick with a reasonably sized steel frame?

Edit2 for post below this one:

With regards to the 'Too much of anything and I need a reset"

I know the feeling all too well. I try to use this feeling to remind myself not to act hasty and fall for the lies that Aruka is posting about decent surf and not telling the truth that he is really talking about Grays Harbor jetty sessions or further north at Moclips.

Last edited:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Who paid too much for a titanium bike?
Damn my titanium old ass trek beats me up pretty bad, the steel front fork is nice and keeps my hands from dying.
Just started this cycling thing on a fucked up old Trek single speed conversion from craigslist. Been bored and lacking waves so been putting a few miles on it. My gooch (guch? taint?) hurts. Need new seat.