Apr 1, 2009
one of my employees brought some in
too hipster for me and expensive
kind of like yuppie pastries

Rather have real malasadas or donuts
but I'm an old fut

still like custard pies and dobash cakes
everyone in my office hates them

If ever on Maui, a drive to Makawao and a visit to Komoda Store and Bakery is a must. The best.
When they built Krispy Kreme on Maui, I questioned the location they chose. When I saw all the Krispy Kreme boxes being carried on inter island flights I understood. Why anyone would opt for Krispy Kreme over Komoda bake goods is beyond me.
Maybe like the Coors beer syndrome back in the day. Unavailable in Hawaii, and you were a major hero if you returned from the Mainland with a case of Coors.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
When on Maui we always stop by Komoda. It's crack.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
If ever on Maui, a drive to Makawao and a visit to Komoda Store and Bakery is a must. The best.
When they built Krispy Kreme on Maui, I questioned the location they chose. When I saw all the Krispy Kreme boxes being carried on inter island flights I understood. Why anyone would opt for Krispy Kreme over Komoda bake goods is beyond me.
Maybe like the Coors beer syndrome back in the day. Unavailable in Hawaii, and you were a major hero if you returned from the Mainland with a case of Coors.
yup
komoda t
homemaid
four sisters

once in early 2000 we took the staff for a day trip to maui
our boss at that time was a decendant of the fleming family (sugar cane)
all we did was food shop
no krispy kreme back then but we ate just about everything
I think stick donuts is a hawaii thing
capping it off with a guriguri before going to the airport
i see those krispy kreme fundraiser sales folks everyone in barbers point
makes me wonder what the taste like after sitting in the ewa sun a day
those sales folks remind me of the korean rose/flower sellers on the side of the road

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
yup
komoda t
homemaid
four sisters

once in early 2000 we took the staff for a day trip to maui
our boss at that time was a decendant of the fleming family (sugar cane)
all we did was food shop
no krispy kreme back then but we ate just about everything
I think stick donuts is a hawaii thing
capping it off with a guriguri before going to the airport
i see those krispy kreme fundraiser sales folks everyone in barbers point
makes me wonder what the taste like after sitting in the ewa sun a day
those sales folks remind me of the korean rose/flower sellers on the side of the road

Homemade Bakery, my place of choice for malasadas on Maui. I must admit that a late evening stop at Homemade is still something I do. Zippys is here now, but the Maui old school feel of Homemade keeps it my choice.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009

This may be of interest to you regarding the hotel situation.

Ian Lind has a daily blog and it can be interesting and informative. A former investigative reporter in Hawaii.
A bonus of following him is that his Father was one of the founders of the Waikiki Surf Club and he has some incredible photos from the early days of the WSC and Waikiki.

Last edited:
Reactions: PPK96754

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Nice photos, thank you.
My closest friend from Ewa has passed on. Not a surfer, but we worked together as Doormen in some clubs in the day.
Folks I knew from Ewa? Dick Delong, not originally from there, but lived there when I knew him. The Garrabrant brothers, one who has passed, (If memory serves me correctly. Barry at Inter Island has his EBSC boardshorts with the EBSC patch on the back at his shop). Nathan Moody, still on Maui, I believe. Calvin and Clay, prior to Clay moving to Maui and after he arrived here, surfed with him at a few places, mostly Paukukalo,
All good folks and good surfers and watermen.
yup
dickie delong used to surf SC/oneula allot in the day with butch. Our red beach house fronted SC. He was a shaper for Surfline back then, allot of ewa beach guys worked in the industry especially for surfline and bolt. Rode a borrowed Surfline diamond tail mini-gun by Ryan Dotson for years in the country. My brother sees Barry every now and then at diamond head. He always gets me interisland hats, shirts and stickers to reminice about sparky and joe kuala. I used to always stop at the progressive expressions shop when I was on kauai. Clayton passed away recently and Calvin's a classmate. The Eaton's are one of the original residents of Ewa Beach or Pu'uloa.

below is our beach playground as kids. My first surfboard shaper lived in a quonset hut across the dirt road he made me this state of this state of the art hotdogger in 1970. Tried to make it a "tri-fin" with some stick on plastic fins. The start of my surfboard addiction.

uncle-sonny's-beach-house.jpg

uncle-teds-bus.jpg

scan0032 (1).jpg

• Wow
Reactions: PJ and bluemarlin04

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
yup
dickie delong used to surf SC/oneula allot in the day with butch. Our red beach house fronted SC. He was a shaper for Surfline back then, allot of ewa beach guys worked in the industry especially for surfline and bolt. Rode a borrowed Surfline diamond tail mini-gun by Ryan Dotson for years in the country. My brother sees Barry every now and then at diamond head. He always gets me interisland hats, shirts and stickers to reminice about sparky and joe kuala. I used to always stop at the progressive expressions shop when I was on kauai. Clayton passed away recently and Calvin's a classmate. The Eaton's are one of the original residents of Ewa Beach or Pu'uloa.

below is our beach playground as kids. My first surfboard shaper lived in a quonset hut across the dirt road he made me this state of this state of the art hotdogger in 1970. Tried to make it a "tri-fin" with some stick on plastic fins. The start of my surfboard addiction.

View attachment 90939

View attachment 90938

View attachment 90940

Ryan Dotson was such a great shaper.(RIP). I remember his old shop. Lahaina Surf Shop in Lahaina, did not last long before he headed back to the North Shore. The Surf Auction had one up for auction a few years back. The first I had seen in years. It looked to be original and in great shape. If I would have known what the winning price was going to be, I would have bid on it. Got some great stories about Ryan, but not for prime time.
Sparky was one of my favorite longboard shapers, eccentric but so talented. Inter Island was, and still is, one of my favorite logo designs. When I do make it to Honolulu, always stop by and pick up an IISS shirt or two. Always brings back such a good feel. What a list of talent rode and shaped their boards. Glad Barry has kept it going.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

This may be of interest to you regarding the hotel situation.

These are big numbers floating.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Th
Simple question

Whats going to happen to all these hotels
Josh Green is proposing that the state buy the hotels(there's tons in waikiki downtown) that get into trouble, when the REITS want to unload them using state bonds and convert them into affordable housing to bring the people from the ewa plains and further out back into the city where they actually work. Today only the rich and privilaged can live in the main city corridor.

Freakonomics recently had a show talking about a similar housing model in a foreign country where they setup these extremely high end built affordable housing units but let people stay on even when their income eventually disqualified them to be there. In the end they ended with a blend of residents representing different parts of the economy who started out together and got to stay together building stronger communities than the typical gated HOA neighborhood approaches of today. Kind of like how neighborhoods of old used to work. People living where they worked not 2-3 hour commute away.

The state is really trying to restart/redo the economy for the better.
It's a one shot deal that we've been gifted with and will never have a chance to do again.
Just like how nature slammed a reset to everything in the world its an opportunity to rethink tourism and quality of life for everyone here especially the hardworking now unemployed multi-job to survive resident.

Don't just make it the same, make it better. I think the labor unions, state, and city and county workers are going to have to give a bit too so we can put more into other hurting parts of the economy than in their high-5 retirement pensions.
They need to act more like the private sector, no job should be guaranteed, you should earn your stay across the board. The future economy of this place can't carry all this dead weight red tape anymore.

And if people here don't want to participate and just want to take care of themselves, then they can leave and go to where ever they fit in (Vegas?). There's lots of people here who would want to do what ever they can to make things better and allot of people wanting to come back home to be part of making this place better than just being slaves to a bunch of uncaring strangers. Which is tourism in nutshell.

You know the surfboard manufacturing industry could be a player in this.
Most of that revenue they generate stays on island maybe the state should find ways to help these guys export their wares more globally like the factories in Asia they are competing with.

It's not about making america great again
It's about making things better for everyone than its been forever and that's everyone not just the loudest mouth in the room

We'll see

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
The State is going to grab money from anywhere possible. Any reserve or money not spent from any State entity will be gone. I wonder about the excess funds in OHA? Don't put it past the Leg to take that too.
I'm all for buying local though I do go Costco. So do most of my business owner friends. I'm very fortunate to work in a profession that 99.9% will never be laid off. Blessed that I'm still getting a check. But when people don't have the money are they going to the local restaurant or local market. Doubt it. Costco for bulk and the 1.50 hot dog drink or the value menu at McDonalds. 10 dollar plate lunches a piece (or more) for a family of five or hot dogs/sodas or burgers and fries? Gotta stretch that dollar. Surf industry too. People ain't going to have that extra money for a new board. State needs to open up inter island travel soon, like this month, without the 14 day quarantine restrictions. Like the news said tonight, test the people from the mainland and other countries before they get on and again when they land. Set a limit on flights entering the State. Continue to use masks and sanitizers. Those in the high risk categories (elderly, respiratory issues) stay home.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Taxes will go Way up to buy those hotels - thats huge + maintanance costs
Same guys behind the rail in charge ?
Airfares will Go Way up if tourists are limited , myself being one :-(

The economic fingers of tourism stretch Way out affectting many - most - non tourist jobs

Selfish me is not happy about this

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
just like leashes, the internet ruined everything

ex. we had to have two helicopter rescues last week one on oahu and one on the big island of hikers getting in trouble. Hikers from the mainland who violated quarantine and were doing something they shouldn't and got busted for it. But these things are not getting any positive reactions from the locals who've been locked up and unemployed. The instagram/selfie "I don't care about anyone or thing except my social media hits" generation is ruining tourism here for everyone. There's really no "real tourists" anymore just a bunch of spring break partiers or travelers on the cheap.

tourism cutting it's own throat

Reactions: Bullnutts

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Being " Tolerant" of all the funky done in Hawaii has been the norm to live there .

All these years of maximizing the #'s of tourists and focus on that $ at the cost of residents has now come to a head .

Hope I can afford to visit again .