*** Official Fin Thread ***

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Full size twin fronts, with smaller quad rears? Anyone running this kind of set up in their quads, and if you liked it?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I surfed my Banjo with Futures EN today after surfing it with Surf Squared keels yesterday. The conditions were different size wise (2-3' yesterday vs 3-5' today) but it was an interesting comparison either way. I love the pivot of the EN's when the wave has a little juice but the drive through cutbacks with the SS keels is hard to match. However I have found the SS keels to become "too fast" pretty quickly once it's over 3-4', at least for the kind of waves I surf. If I surfed more lined up points or something I could see using them when it's larger.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I surfed my Banjo with Futures EN today after surfing it with Surf Squared keels yesterday. The conditions were different size wise (2-3' yesterday vs 3-5' today) but it was an interesting comparison either way. I love the pivot of the EN's when the wave has a little juice but the drive through cutbacks with the SS keels is hard to match. However I have found the SS keels to become "too fast" pretty quickly once it's over 3-4', at least for the kind of waves I surf. If I surfed more lined up points or something I could see using them when it's larger.
I feel ya on the SS keels or really most keels being a little much once it gets over a certain size. I generally just switch to a different board because once it's over head high or so I wanna ride a short board anyways. I have had a lot of fun on the Banjo running upright twins when it's a little bigger or just more bowled up where a more vertical approach is the call.

I have yet to really click with the EN's in any board yet. They're fine but I prefer the True Ames or Drab Twins. A nice middle ground between those upright twins and a keel is the NVS Album Fascination Twins.

Anyone else tried those?

Reactions: MathDebater

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I feel ya on the SS keels or really most keels being a little much once it gets over a certain size. I generally just switch to a different board because once it's over head high or so I wanna ride a short board anyways. I have had a lot of fun on the Banjo running upright twins when it's a little bigger or just more bowled up where a more vertical approach is the call.

I have yet to really click with the EN's in any board yet. They're fine but I prefer the True Ames or Drab Twins. A nice middle ground between those upright twins and a keel is the NVS Album Fascination Twins.

Anyone else tried those?
I’ve got the TA twins in a locally made MR type twin. Love em. Decent drive, cuts back real nice. Used them today in some fun beachbreak. Sometimes use with stabilizer, sometimes not.

Unrelated, , Kalohe was out there as he had to come south due to OC lock down. Doing some man hacks. Cool to see.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD

Anyone else tried those?

That's fair. It's a very fine line. I ride the banjo up to head high or so at the reef breaks around here before I switch but it really depends on how big the sets are versus the tweeners. I think I will stick to using the keels when the non-sets are under 3 feet then switch to upright fins.

I've don't have any other upright twins so I haven't done any experimentation but really have no complaints about the EN's. Definitely keeping an eye out for other used upright twins.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Full size twin fronts, with smaller quad rears? Anyone running this kind of set up in their quads, and if you liked it?
Always thought that woudl be my winning combination...love quads and love twins with a trailer. Absolutely HATED the large twin fronts with small/tiny quad rears. couldnt stand it. seemed liek the worst of all worlds. All the drawbacks, not a single positive. I know many others have luck with it..but i couldnt stand it.

Reactions: oeste858

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Wow, you just articulated so well, what I was hoping I would get out of trying this combo. In theory, I pictured the "twin fronts" moving the pivot point up a bit, and the smaller trailers keeping connected, but fast. Well I guess I'll just save my favorite twin + trailers for the right board.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Wow, you just articulated so well, what I was hoping I would get out of trying this combo. In theory, I pictured the "twin fronts" moving the pivot point up a bit, and the smaller trailers keeping connected, but fast. Well I guess I'll just save my favorite twin + trailers for the right board.
I've been thinking of trying twin plus small quad trailer on my RNF Retro. Been running controllers (which I love in other boards) but it's just too much fin for me, too drawn out. I know the design isn't lent to straight ups but I think I can find a combination that's looser in the pocket. I think the trick is you need micro trailers. I tried f8 wit 3.75 trailer (futures on my RNF Redux) which went incredible backside but kind of fast but tracky frontside (is why I never stuck with it) but, say T1 with that would have more area than controllers albeit differently proportioned. Not sure a smaller rear quad available tho...

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
The Captain Fin Dane fins are back in stock after being sold out for a long time. The side fins are gigantic and the center fin is much smaller. Curious how they go.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I have been using the CF Dane's in my grinder for a year or two like them a lot. I forgot how big they were since I've gotten used to them. I don't find the center fin to feel "small" even though it is.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
The Captain Fin Dane fins are back in stock after being sold out for a long time. The side fins are gigantic and the center fin is much smaller. Curious how they go.
I really liked them in my GX and phantom. Their Dion fin is basically a fiberglass version of the medium Dane fronts with the CF medium center. The front foil on the Dion fronts is pretty thick compared to the Dane

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I liked the Dane Mediums when I was like 10lbs. lighter. The graphics are hideous though if I got a set of the larges I think I'd have to paint them.

Reactions: MathDebater

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Had a Firewire quadfish way back when they were made in the USA. Favorite setup was MR-TFX in front with these Q-1 "pivot" fins in the rear. They dont make them anymore, but Von Sol has an identical set.
1589243413085.png

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Aren't the Danes pretty much just the CF with a smaller trailer and a badass cat?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Twin plus nubs on narrow tails....

906731CD-DFCE-4931-93E3-FC0025EBA62F.jpeg