*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i think someone on here already ennobled me as "Jarl" of Long Beach (although there are some serious hard ass silver backs that still live here, both surfers and non surfers alike) so i think we will operate like a small nation state, like an Isle of Mann or something. I can be Jarl of Atlantic Ave, and the other blocks and apartment towers will elect their Jarls (whether through calm democratic process or a bloody turf war, either way) I'll start a bank, and shelter offshore accounts for the wealthy of the north eastern alliance and the "Oregon rocks and California is ok" western Pact.

We'll go back to barter and gold, and small strong globally accepted currencies minted by states like yours. Or we use bitcoin, whatevs. I can live off veggies, the sea, and some chicken and hogs raised by whoever owns the empty super block (or whoever takes it by force, fuckk those developers. Just try and cross the bridge, i-Star, i dare you)

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Is this happening in your neighborhood?
People needing food assistance

A good idea to fund paying local framers to provide locally grown produce and stuff to fill the food banks instead of the typical can good donations as well as stocking the shelves of local grocers instead of the cheap mainland flown in stuff.

Really shows that the illusion of the "great economy" wasn't all that "great" after all with so many people really living the so called paycheck to paycheck "fake news" story line. The "market's doing great" and "GDP's up" has always been the wool pulled over a certain media focused set of the population's eyes. But this sudden and relatively so far brief interruption is really exposing the inbalance across society at so many levels.

Where ever the so called "service economy" runs the highest is where the masses are hurting the most. Maybe they should just rename it the "slave economy". Because that's what is really is or maybe "in servitude economy"

Demand for food assistance in Hawaii skyrockets during COVID-19 crisis

With Hawaii’s economy in the tank due to the coronavirus pandemic, more people than ever are reaching out for food to feed their families.

Food drives and giveaways across the state are drawing huge numbers of people as officials scramble to meet demand.

Ron Mizutani, president and CEO of the Hawaii Foodbank, said the situation is causing him sleepless nights.

“I can see the shelves getting empty, and it really scares me,” Mizutani said from his office. “But we’ve been able to weather the storm so far.”

Demand on the Hawaii Foodbank has increased by about 56% since mid-March. Ordinarily, the food bank distributes nearly 1 million pounds of food every month. But, he said, the organization is on pace to nearly double that total for April.

Photo Gallery: Hawaii Foodbank and Hawaii Farm Bureau partner to provide healthy food to those in need

“This is unprecedented. The needs are incredible,” Mizutani said.

At the Salvation Army, demand has soared from 10,000 food boxes or meals a month before the COVID-19 crisis to 12,000 per week.

And that doesn’t even count Saturday’s huge drive-thru giveaway at Ala Moana Center, where eggs, bread, milk and potatoes were handed out to thousands in need who waited in a line miles long.

“We expected it to be big. No one knew the line was going to be that long,” said Victor Leonardi, the Salvation Army’s incident commander for COVID-19 response in Hawaii and the Pacific islands.

A recent food drive at the Kroc Center in Kapolei may have offered a hint. People started lining up two hours before it was to start. When it did start, 400 bags of food disappeared in 13 minutes, he said.

Leonardi said all 140 Salvation Army food locations in Hawaii are experiencing increases in weekly demand, and some locations are seeing double and triple.

“This has thrown everybody for a loop,” he said.

Business is booming at Aloha Harvest, Hawaii’s largest nonprofit that rescues excess quality food for delivery to shelters, food pantries and transitional homes.

On a typical week the organization rescues 25,000 to 30,000 pounds of food from grocery stores, restaurants, events and other food venues. Since the start of the coronavirus emergency, that number tripled in two weeks, fueled by numerous business closings and event cancellations and prompting Aloha Harvest to expand to eight trucks from three, said “Phil” Augustus Acosta, executive director.

While demand has since leveled off and could even dry up eventually, Acosta said he expects that work serving the island’s hungry will only be in greater demand in the weeks and months ahead, and Aloha Harvest is already evolving to meet the increasing needs.

“Unfortunately, the economic impact will far outlast the public health crisis,” Acosta said.

Hawaii has seen more than 200,000 unemployment claims since the state shut down under emergency orders last month. When the schools closed, families who relied on free or subsidized school meals to keep their children fed began facing even greater need.

Mizutani said Hawaii Foodbank typically spends $33,000 a month on food purchases. In the last four weeks alone, the agency has spent $640,000 on food and supplies to help deal with the COVID-19 emergency. In April, he said, the food bank is projecting to spend another $350,000 to $500,000 to meet the growing demand.

Mizutani said the crisis is only making it harder to fulfill the food bank’s mission. Many of the organizations that usually donate large volumes of food have shut down. Restaurants and hotels have closed their doors, while some grocery stores, which ordinarily share unsold inventory nearing its best-by date, have little to donate because of their own demands.

What’s more, Hawaii Foodbank is experiencing a sharp decline in its volunteer labor force, he said, because many of the volunteers are older folks who need to shelter at home for their own health and safety.

“Our warehouse is operating as efficiently as possible, but there are many pukas in our shelves,” Mizutani said.

The challenge right now is getting food to Hawaii as quickly as possible. There are seven containers of rice and other food items on order, he said, but “the trip across the Pacific Ocean is something we have no control over.”

In the meantime Hawaii Foodbank on Tuesday announced a partnership with the Hawaii Farm Bureau that will help keep farmers farming and ranchers ranching while boosting the agency’s food assistance programs.

Under the program, Hawaii Foodbank committed to purchase $200,000 in local agricultural products.

Several foundations are supporting the initiative, including the Harold K.L. Castle Foundation, Hawaii Community Foundation, Ulupono Initiative and Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation.

“Thanks to various grants and other funding, these food purchases by Hawaii Foodbank will provide much needed income to farmers and ranchers and allow them to continue their operations. In turn, this partnership ensures these locally grown food products are distributed to those most in need,” Hawaii Farm Bureau Executive Director Brian Miyamoto said in a news release.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Gavin Newsome leading the pvssy charge today, saying that if everyone behaves themselves and does exactly as they are told, maybe in two more weeks we can hear some of his plan for incrementally coming out of hiding, as long as we're prepared to go right back in if he says so.
I'm not quite as cynical of it as you, but that 'big' announcement he has been promising was certainly lacking of any substance.
The six indicators are nothing new or have any real measures when they are met. And he seemed to omit what harm the shut down is doing now and that it will continue to increase suffering as it continues.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Seems like we’re not testing nearly enough. California has tested only 220,000 people.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
** Demand for food assistance in Hawaii skyrockets during COVID-19 crisis **

On Kauai's north shore, The Garden, in Kilauea (huge acreage) on Lighthouse Road is selling vegi's and fruit for $20.00 a box every day.I go twice a week. Banana's Bok Choy, mixed greens, baby carrots, cilantro, straight out of the ground. Cleaned and ready assorted items. They also have a portable refridg unit on wheels to keep vegi's fresh. Farm to table. Support the local farmers.

BUT, in the lower 48, farmers are plowing their food under because they can't sell there crops. WTF?? Give it away to your neighbors or food banks but to plow it under seems senseless even if there's no profit at the moment or sell it at a loss but Feed the people.

Last edited:

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
** Demand for food assistance in Hawaii skyrockets during COVID-19 crisis **

On Kauai's north shore, The Garden ,in Kilauea on Lighthouse Road is selling vegi's and fruit for $20.00 a box every day.I go twice a week. Banana's Bok Choy, mixed greens, baby carrots, cilantro, straight out of the ground. Cleaned and ready. They also have a portable refridg unit on wheels to keep vegi's fresh. Farm to table.

BUT, in the lower 48, farmers are plowing their food under because they can't sell there crops. WTF?? Give it away to your neighbors or food banks but to plow it under seems senseless even if there's no profit at the moment or sell it at a loss but Feed the people.
This is what I don't get. There is a massive need at food banks, but farmers are plowing under their harvests. Pupule.

Reactions: PPK96754

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Too expensive to pay the labor to harvest it, so it ends up costing the farmer more than it's worth on the market. This is how a lot of veggie growers have been operating for many years.
They should charge the public to come in and pick the veggies like the apple orchards in Julian. They charge approx $10/bag for the public to come in and pick apples. The farmers could open up their fields to the public and charge for the veggies...win/win.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Open the farm up. Let the public harvest on there own?? Pay by pound at a discount? I just hate to see food wasted is all.
Joshua2415 said:
They should charge the public to come in and pick the veggies like the apple orchards in Julian. They charge approx $10/bag for the public to come in and pick apples. The farmers could open up their fields to the public and charge for the veggies...win/win.
Agreed, although there could be some safety/liability and logistic concerns with that. Lots of fields entail driving on muddy roads with steep embankments, not to mention lack of parking, bathrooms, sanitation, etc. Partnering up with non-profits could also help. Regardless, more could be done to prevent that kind of waste.

"When white people harvests a crop it’s known as “berry picking” or “pick your own fruit.” Under these conditions, white people are expected to work leisurely with no real expectations and then they pay for the privilege to do so. In other words, berry picking is the agricultural equivalent to a private liberal arts college. It’s no surprise white people like it, because much like a liberal arts degree it feels like you’ve done real work when you really haven’t. "

:ROFLMAO:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Peter
sounds like you got it covered
you and everyone over there stay safe
been raining/flooding allot
cleaning the aina and exposed hard surfaces from SARS2 droplets

you seen the latest?
Gov Ige looking at cutting all State Employee Payrolls by 20% across the board.
Teachers, medical and first responders included.
New hire freezes and no new purchase contracts allowed.
All this due to the massive tax revenue loss.

things gonna get ugly quick
I can see a fight over the tourist tax between caldwell and the neighbor islands coming soon

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
My son has been out of work forever a week because he had a fever, and his job said, go get a test and come back when you get negative results or at least 2 weeks from a positive test
3 day wait for a test
5 days and counting for a result
1 week without pay
All of his sick time was used the last time he got a test and waited for results
He works in a nursing home, so I agree they need to be careful
So yes the test was eventually available and someday the results will be available and eventually he’ll go back to work and getting paid, but this testing is not beautiful