Why don't more shapers describe surfboards by rocker curve?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
The Tokoro 4VC and Kerry Tokoro’s M7 both have single to double to vee. I’ve ridden that bottom on many boards for NS and big town for many years. Pintails most of them. All of them were great to magic boards.

Josh Moniz won the Volcom Pipe Pro a couple years ago on a Kerry M7. And the Tokoro 4VC was won a lot of Triple Crown events and clinched the world title at Pipe for Medina, Mick, Sunny, Occy. Some those guys may not have won the Masters but won enough heats to clinch. Andy won Pipe and Tahiti on a 4VC.

I have faith in that bottom and many top pros do too.

Reactions: SharkBoy

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
The Tokoro 4VC and Kerry Tokoro’s M7 both have single to double to vee. I’ve ridden that bottom on many boards for NS and big town for many years. Pintails most of them. All of them were great to magic boards.

Josh Moniz won the Volcom Pipe Pro a couple years ago on a Kerry M7. And the Tokoro 4VC was won a lot of Triple Crown events and clinched the world title at Pipe for Medina, Mick, Sunny, Occy. Some those guys may not have won the Masters but won enough heats to clinch. Andy won Pipe and Tahiti on a 4VC.

I have faith in that bottom and many top pros do too.
I am pointing out that the requested description is only part of the Rocker of a board .

Its a combination that few will try to explain what it does in detail .

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I am pointing out that the requested description is only part of the Rocker of a board .

Its a combination that few will try to explain what it does in detail .
Fair enough. I was going to add that the success of Wade and Kerry’s design is a combination of outline, fin placement, nose rocker, tail rocker and years of R & D.

Both Wade and Kerry have team guys that cost them money to make boards for. They look at that as an investment in promoting their business and for feedback from surfers of the highest level. Kerry has worked with Bam and now with Josh Moniz on their own signature models. Wade’s association with Sunny and JOB have produced legendary results. It’s kind of the industry standard, find a promising grom, hope he turns into the next Curren, Kelly or JJF. It’s why most er’bbers get so excited on new models when they see a video of a pro ripping on one. Kelly riding Akila’s designs blew his demand off the charts. Wade and Kerry see doing social media stuff like Instagram as a necessary evil. Even doing interviews and videosof design descriptions are taxing. If you know them you can see how uncomfortable they look doing those videos and interviews.

Some of the things I’m really proud of both of my shapers are they make great boards, put a lot of work and money into creating their designs. Use the minimal amount of smoke and mirrors to promote themselves. And never ever tear down other shapers or designs in the whole process. If there’s anything shady that involves them the shady comes from the other side.

I’m going surfing hope you all get some waves too.

Last edited:
Reactions: SharkBoy

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
'Both Wade and Kerry have team guys that cost them money to make boards for.'

Amazing how much money shapers put out for so little. Every board a shaper makes for a team guy, a giveaway, a hope that surfer will promote their brand, costs the shaper/business a pretty penny. $200-$400 per board!! That's a lot of investment!
It's gotta be his rockers!

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Rocker is the arc of a given radius. It can be measured this way.

Example. A rocker with a radius of 28 feet will turn a certain way. A rocker with a radius of 40 feet will be flatter.

Continuous rocker is when the curve keeps the same radius from tail to nose flip.

Staged rocker is the blending of several radii. An example would be a 20 foot radius in the tail, blending to a 30 foot radius in the middle up to the nose flip.

Graduated rocker would be where the radius changes the length of the board. An example of this is the C.I. MBM model, where the tail is the flattest and as it moves from the tail, the rocker is continually getting more curved.

Bottom contours do not affect stringer rocker. The rocker is set to the design, and the rails are raised or lowered. An example would be concave, where the stringer rocker is set to the design, and less foam is removed at the rails.

It is a mistake to think of concave as removing more foam along the stringer, but instead the shaper thinks of concave as removing less foam along the tail. (This is from the shaper 's view of the board belly-up in the stands).

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Rocker is the arc of a given radius. It can be measured this way.

Example. A rocker with a radius of 28 feet will turn a certain way. A rocker with a radius of 40 feet will be flatter.

Continuous rocker is when the curve keeps the same radius from tail to nose flip.

Staged rocker is the blending of several radii. An example would be a 20 foot radius in the tail, blending to a 30 foot radius in the middle up to the nose flip.

Graduated rocker would be where the radius changes the length of the board. An example of this is the C.I. MBM model, where the tail is the flattest and as it moves from the tail, the rocker is continually getting more curved.

Bottom contours do not affect stringer rocker. The rocker is set to the design, and the rails are raised or lowered. An example would be concave, where the stringer rocker is set to the design, and less foam is removed at the rails.

It is a mistake to think of concave as removing more foam along the stringer, but instead the shaper thinks of concave as removing less foam along the tail. (This is from the shaper 's view of the board belly-up in the stands).
:shaka: great explanation...

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Don't shapers add the concave last?
Generally yes, a shaper starts at the rails, and works to the stringer. A good shaper has the complete design in his head before he picks up the planer.

A bad shaper shapes the board, and then adds contours as an afterthought.

Me personally, I skin the bottom, then set the stringer rocker, and work towards the rails from there.

Reactions: Havoc