Relocating to San Diego - What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Clairemont, if you can find a place within your budget. Centrally located to fun and establishments north and south to your chosen profession.
I was trying to sell it to Ifall a few years back when he was down here. For core surf value it aint bad, we've got a 40+ y/o surf shop (Eggers older bro used to be the grom cashier way back), I see Skip walking the neighborhood here and there, half the MacMeda crew and descendants are here, I see Marshall ( early moids crew) around once in awhile and Birds is 5 mins away....

Reactions: Ifallalot

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Don't know. I know nothing about the job markets in areas you posted. Aint easy but it just is. Wasn't as easy for us as out parents either.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Choosing to move to SD now doesn't make sense to me. The crowds are more intense than ever and cost of living is out of control. I would move to Capetown, France, Portugal, or Oz NZ.
I’m pretty much over surfing. Such a bro brah circle jerk mutual admiration pyramid scheme spawned by clothing companies. So sick of hearing jerk offs regurgitating bullshit they read or hear on beach grit, Surfline, wsl contests. It’s like going to work to have to deal with the same dipshits you don’t like day in day out. I got a few good years where i got to remote, uncrowded, sketchy spots where it was all about the surf and it was super sick.

san diego has a few things that fit in with some plans i have for a little down the road. Service industry is a stepping stone. I’m one charming motherfooker when i want to be so I’m not worried about getting a good job.

i’ve met a bunch of people from hood river and I’ll take a pass

i’d love to move overseas but it’s a huge hassle to bring my dog and she’s more important

the longer I’m in Baja the more i want to work it so I’m down here at least half the year. The US as a society is pretty fucked in general.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Not sure about your personal life, but if I were to find myself single and looking for a change of scenery, San Diego would probably be the top of my list. No way I'd move to Oregon or any other #tuglife outdoorsy brotown.

The corporate office of my employer is in SD County. I always enjoy going down there.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
It is.

Vanlifers get gym memberships to use gym showers.
ha, not Vanlife but I had a gym membership for the no extra fee stuff:

- shower, soap, lotion, toothpaste, shaving razors, shave cream, after shave
- jacuzzi
- sauna
- hard copy of LA Times
- desk and undisturbed Wifi get a few hours of AM work and calls out of the way
- a few flatscreen TVs with remote (movies, shows, etc) and a big sofa
- a pool w/ patio tables and umbrellas
- coffee, tea, hot water, filtered water
- membership events with free wine, beer, food, dancing, socializing
- clean, fresh white towels I could take home, use, and return, and they would do my towel laundry.

Reactions: grapedrink

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I was trying to sell it to Ifall a few years back when he was down here. For core surf value it aint bad, we've got a 40+ y/o surf shop (Eggers older bro used to be the grom cashier way back), I see Skip walking the neighborhood here and there, half the MacMeda crew and descendants are here, I see Marshall ( early moids crew) around once in awhile and Birds is 5 mins away....
Yup.

And it was on the list before I had to come up here

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I’m pretty much over surfing. Such a bro brah circle jerk mutual admiration pyramid scheme spawned by clothing companies. So sick of hearing jerk offs regurgitating bullshit they read or hear on beach grit, Surfline, wsl contests. It’s like going to work to have to deal with the same dipshits you don’t like day in day out. I got a few good years where i got to remote, uncrowded, sketchy spots where it was all about the surf and it was super sick.

san diego has a few things that fit in with some plans i have for a little down the road. Service industry is a stepping stone. I’m one charming motherfooker when i want to be so I’m not worried about getting a good job.

i’ve met a bunch of people from hood river and I’ll take a pass

i’d love to move overseas but it’s a huge hassle to bring my dog and she’s more important

the longer I’m in Baja the more i want to work it so I’m down here at least half the year. The US as a society is pretty fucked in general.
If this is all true, pass on North County, PB, La Jolla.

If you are not doing a morning commute, IB is worth a look.

Reactions: BrownFish and 000

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
#blessed. New York doesn’t get good very often but when it’s on it can really turn on, and it’s all 400 yards from my front door. My career is very much New York based. Sure I can get a lot done remotely and often close 6 figure deals whilst surfing in exotic locales, but the ad industry and most of my core clients are based here, so here is where I will stay while the getting is good. the second stage of my long term plan towards financial independence is under way, with years of earning (and more acquisitions hopefully) ahead of me in an exasperating and high stress world, but even 12 years into it, having six figure weeks of billing, closing fat deals with new clients etc, balances out some of the banality and stress. I have hands off management (except when they check in on me to make sure I am still mentally in one piece lol) because if you want big bucks it takes a lot of expertise, hard work, stress, roller coaster commission pay outs, etc and a LOT of good luck, to live in ANY of these A grade coastal DMA’s with a comfortable existence and some leftover to save for the future, invest in spouses and real estate and index funds etc.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
#blessed. New York doesn’t get good very often but when it’s on it can really turn on, and it’s all 400 yards from my front door. My career is very much New York based. Sure I can get a lot done remotely and often close 6 figure deals whilst surfing in exotic locales, but the ad industry and most of my core clients are based here, so here is where I will stay while the getting is good. the second stage of my long term plan towards financial independence is under way, with years of earning (and more acquisitions hopefully) ahead of me in an exasperating and high stress world, but even 12 years into it, having six figure weeks of billing, closing fat deals with new clients etc, balances out some of the banality and stress. I have hands off management (except when they check in on me to make sure I am still mentally in one piece lol) because if you want big bucks it takes a lot of expertise, hard work, stress, roller coaster commission pay outs, etc and a LOT of good luck, to live in ANY of these A grade coastal DMA’s with a comfortable existence and some leftover to save for the future, invest in spouses and real estate and index funds etc.
Were you wanking when you wrote that? You were, weren’t you.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Not sure about your personal life, but if I were to find myself single and looking for a change of scenery, San Diego would probably be the top of my list. No way I'd move to Oregon or any other #tuglife outdoorsy brotown.

The corporate office of my employer is in SD County. I always enjoy going down there.
Guys, he wants to be a bartender. I've had several friends in SD who were bartenders. 20+ years later they still are. Showing up for corporate gigs once a quarter is a lot different than trying to make it in a flooded job market. If you have money, and time, and can surf mid to late mornings, SoCal is a lot of fun.

AJ, you've already said you don't like surfers, or kiters from the NW, but you can be charming when you want to be. Sounds like you should get a job with the other sociopaths in Hollywood management. You'll fit right in!

People don't appreciate my ability to think outside the box...

Last edited:
Reactions: tsenn

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I could see bartending being competitive, but serving? Seems like there are so many restaurants that you wouldn’t have to work too hard to get your foot in the door.