Relocating to San Diego - What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Australia is primarily short period swell. Like size, (weather) conditions and shape, once you get used to surfing California style clean, long period swells, it's hard to get excited about chop. Ask yourself why people like Tomson, Curren and many others moved/returned to live/surf in Calif.

That's the fatal flaw/attraction of California: world class surf, but available only on a limited basis - the classic resource scarcity conundrum. So, the original pioneers had it great, but then like anything which is revolutionary, fun and healthy, it took the world by storm. (Pun semi intended.)

I mean, consider the original exodus to San Diego & Santa Barbara by the West LA/South Bay crew (original CA ground zero) back in the 60s. That is the stuff dreams are made of - N county, Rincon, the ranch. But, nothing lasts forever, especially in the most dynamic economy on the planet
CA has alright surf, definitely not “what dreams are made of” the vast majority of days. It’s more of a lifestyle thing, after traveling the world scoring perfect surf for so many years those guys want to do other things. Straya is a big country with wide and varied surf conditions, the EC having mostly short period surf. The thing is it’s not really an issue, you’ll ride more waves and get more tubes on an average day than CA

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
CA has alright surf, “what nightmares are made of" mostly nowadays
a crappy day at a C spot has 5 guys out at sunrise and enough waves for 2

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Australia is primarily short period swell. Like size, (weather) conditions and shape, once you get used to surfing California style clean, long period swells, it's hard to get excited about chop.
That's a generalization for the entire country, but it depends on what you're into. CA is frustrating for me because there's not enough waves for the size of the crowds. East Coast OZ there's too many waves.

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
CA has alright surf, “what nightmares are made of" mostly nowadays
a crappy day at a C spot has 5 guys out at sunrise and enough waves for 2
another reason why I'm looking toward expatriation, So Hemi is a where it's at

Reactions: afoaf and 000

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Where?

South America? South Africa? Australia?

I love love love South America.

I can't explain why. I just do.
Oz, particularly the nether regions of Vic. Been on a few trips before, EC not really my vibe. Don’t mind a bit of cool water, scares most of the Brazzos away. This year was the last chance for the holiday working visa, turned 31 recently so put the app in before the deadline. Going to spend a year before deciding to make it permanent. Tried ZA last year for 6 months and while being a beautiful country with abundant surf it’s much less liveable than more developed countries.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
That's a generalization for the entire country, but it depends on what you're into. CA is frustrating for me because there's not enough waves for the size of the crowds. East Coast OZ there's too many waves.
Surprising amount of surf for being on wrong side of Continent, way better than SOCAL, lived in both.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Oh Gary Berry,

Making projections once again to bolster your image. You even have some here following your bullshit.

Listen up OP, San Diego is rad - stay coastal - Coronado north if you are a bartender/Server.

Another lazy local who made poor life choices and bitter they are in a shitty place.

Since 1992, I've taken your waves and fucked your girls. Sincerely, a transplant.
Another lazy local who made poor life choices and bitter they are in a shitty place.

Since 1992, I've taken your waves and fucked your girls. Sincerely, a transplant.

Last edited:

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Isn’t the surf there as crowded if not my crowded than CA?
But 100x better. No waves in California compare to the length and rippability of snapper, the speed of Lennox heads, the perfection of angourie.

in my whole life in California I’ve neVer once seen a wave as good as snapper. The only true comparison to aussie point breaks is rincon.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
But 100x better. No waves in California compare to the length and rippability of snapper, the speed of Lennox heads, the perfection of angourie.

in my whole life in California I’ve neVer once seen a wave as good as snapper. The only true comparison to aussie point breaks is rincon.
Well, I mean, he's "ulu surfer" so, like, there you go, man.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
That’s a generalization for the entire state.

Oct 28, 2020
Chicago
I was in San Diego many times but for a short period of time. I remember those days when booking cruises were the most anticipated thing for me to do. Now COVID-19 changed for a while that, no worries! I’m busy right now anyways with my parents. They will move soon to their first senior independent living community Minneapolis , they are a little stubborn but good they have understanding that additional help is required for them. Time will pass and they will love that place. I know they will be in good hands there.

Last edited: