Does the Bern stand a chance?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Trump could lose to himself. Make a serious unforced error. Or, stroke out while scarfing that one Big Mac too many.

Reactions: CutnSnip

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The age thing is pretty amazing when we think about it. Age at the beginning of their terms:

53 - Carter
65 - GHWBush
47 - Clinton
55 - GWBush
48 - Obama
71 - Trump
Did you omit Reagan for a reason? 69!

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
So is he still talking about a 97 trillion dollar budget?

Yeah why not.

Put it on the the card.
why weren’t you saying that when the the tax cuts were passed (without corresponding spending cuts?) Why don’t you say that when you see the military budget? Seriously how do we afford trillion dollar 20 year wars in the Middle East? But the idea of having health care when you are young, old, employed, unemployed, just laid off, coverage for your entire life, the entire life of your parents then it is faint on the couch how will we ever afford!

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
why weren’t you saying that when the the tax cuts were passed (without corresponding spending cuts?) Why don’t you say that when you see the military budget? Seriously how do we afford trillion dollar 20 year wars in the Middle East? But the idea of having health care when you are young, old, employed, unemployed, just laid off, coverage for your entire life, the entire life of your parents then it is faint on the couch how will we ever afford!
What makes you think I haven't complained about all of those things? You're making stupid assumptions. Pulling them out of your ass and posting them up like they came from somewhere other than your own ass.

I have complained for decades about "conservatives" who spend like drunken sailors. I've complained about the cost of USA world police and our bloated military budget for decades. I have always been opposed to plunging into the quagmire of war/nation building in the middle east. Further I have loudly stated many times that our healthcare system is profoundly broken. But you apparently thought you would make up some random allegations and throw them against the wall. Stupid behavior on your part.

So given that we are in deep debt, that we have massively overspent, tell me where the 97 trillion is coming from? It's a legitimate question. I understand that you want a fix for our broken health care system. But 97 trillion? From where? We are in a horrible financial position as it sits. You want to go deeper? Try and look at this like an adult instead of a juvenile making out his Christmas list.

(CNN)While the new spending programs Sen. Bernie Sanders has proposed in his presidential campaign would at least double federal spending over the next decade, he has provided little detail about how he would implement or finance such a massive increase.
The Vermont independent's agenda represents an expansion of government's cost and size unprecedented since World War II, according to estimates from his own website and projections by a wide variety of fiscal experts.
Sanders' plan, though all of its costs cannot be precisely quantified, would increase government spending as a share of the economy far more than the New Deal under President Franklin Roosevelt, the Great Society under Lyndon Johnson or the agenda proposed by any recent Democratic presidential nominee, including liberal George McGovern in 1972, according to a historical analysis shared with CNN by Larry Summers, the former chief White House economic adviser for Barack Obama and treasury secretary for Bill Clinton.

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
If it looks like the Bern is going to win, I (and likely millions) will be dumping their 401k/IRA stock portfolios gains into cash/money market funds. Lock that sh*t in while you can.

Stock markets will be in for a hell of a ride, at least at first. Predictions of election night Nov 2016 crash (which did the opposite) would look like a mild speed-bump.

Do any of you really think Bernie bro's policies will be a boon for a capitalist economy?

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and rts265

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
sh!t. Good point surf dog. We need to start a thread here. When do you pull the trigger? I went all cash beginning of year in anticipation of yearly crash. Didn’t happen. Got back in in that dip we took a couple weeks ago, but didn’t make the killing I had anticipated

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
What makes you think I haven't complained about all of those things? You're making stupid assumptions. Pulling them out of your ass and posting them up like they came from somewhere other than your own ass.

I have complained for decades about "conservatives" who spend like drunken sailors. I've complained about the cost of USA world police and our bloated military budget for decades. I have always been opposed to plunging into the quagmire of war/nation building in the middle east. Further I have loudly stated many times that our healthcare system is profoundly broken. But you apparently thought you would make up some random allegations and throw them against the wall. Stupid behavior on your part.

So given that we are in deep debt, that we have massively overspent, tell me where the 97 trillion is coming from? It's a legitimate question. I understand that you want a fix for our broken health care system. But 97 trillion? From where? We are in a horrible financial position as it sits. You want to go deeper? Try and look at this like an adult instead of a juvenile making out his Christmas list.
You are forgetting that the world we live in is now binary.

Queationing how we will pay for $50-100B worth of social programs = ignoring and/or apologizing for the wayward spending priorities/programs since WW2

#ilked

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If it looks like the Bern is going to win, I (and likely millions) will be dumping their 401k/IRA stock portfolios gains into cash/money market funds. Lock that sh*t in while you can.

Stock markets will be in for a hell of a ride, at least at first. Predictions of election night Nov 2016 crash (which did the opposite) would look like a mild speed-bump.

Do any of you really think Bernie bro's policies will be a boon for a capitalist economy?
I already parked 40% of my 401k into a bond fund a few months back. If it looks like Bernie could win, I will move another 50%. Not going to lose the #gains of the last few years to Bernie’s unicorn economics and social programs. We are already due for a correction anyway, likely hastened by Trump and no fault of Bernie, but the market gonna market either way.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
You are forgetting that the world we live in is now binary.

Queationing how we will pay for $50-100B worth of social programs = ignoring and/or apologizing for the wayward spending priorities/programs since WW2

#ilked
It's utterly mindless.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Try every single fucking country in the Western world dummy.

Every single one.

None of them want American healthcare.

Iliteratte turd.
lolz. Euro countries have much higher income taxes, in many cases approaching or exceeding 50%. Many have a 20% VAT on just about everything you spend money on. Even with all that, they still can’t afford to pay out all the bennies they promise and have double digit unemployment.

You think it’s an accident that Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K. wanted nothing to do with the Euro dollar? They saw the writing on the wall, and now Germany is stuck footing the bill for Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy, etc. Those same struggling countries rank among the lowest in the world for incoming foreign investment as well. Weird:unsure:

That said, I agree that our healthcare system needs an overhaul, although Bernie’s spending ideas go far beyond healthcare.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
lolz. Euro countries have much higher income taxes, in many cases approaching or exceeding 50%. Many have a 20% VAT on just about everything you spend money on. Even with all that, they still can’t afford to pay out all the bennies they promise and have double digit unemployment.

You think it’s an accident that Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K. wanted nothing to do with the Euro dollar? They saw the writing on the wall, and now Germany is stuck footing the bill for Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy, etc. Those same struggling countries rank among the lowest in the world for incoming foreign investment as well. Weird:unsure:

That said, I agree that our healthcare system needs an overhaul, although Bernie’s spending ideas go far beyond healthcare.
Higher taxes but no need to pay $800 a month to health insurance middlemen.

Your math is a little wonky.

Your illiterate screeching is funny tho.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
I already parked 40% of my 401k into a bond fund a few months back. If it looks like Bernie could win, I will move another 50%. Not going to lose the #gains of the last few years to Bernie’s unicorn economics and social programs. We are already due for a correction anyway, likely hastened by Trump and no fault of Bernie, but the market gonna market either way.
What? Bernie sucks but it doesn’t matter because trump sucks and the market is going to suck independent of everything else sucking? But, you’re a smart investor so it doesn’t matter.