Bolton book: Trumby directly tied Ukraine aid to investigations into political rivals.

Uberkuque

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 19, 2014
Are you dense? Are you aware of the process? It was the job of the House to subpoena witnesses before they impeached. Its the job of the court to rule on a subpoena and compel a witness if the subpoena gets challenged.

The House Impeached without the testimony they now cry that they need. At the time they were saying what a great case for peach mints they had. Was their case not so good as claimed???????

Now you're asking the Senate to do the job the House should have done. The job of the senate is not to build a case for peach mints. That is the job of the House under our Constitution. The job of the Senate is to rule on the merits of what was done in the House and to provide a remedy.

Perhaps the democrats will get it right in Peach Mints 2.0
Idiot doesn’t know the senate proceedings are a trial, and not an appeal from the house impeachment proceedings.

Reactions: manbearpig

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
So. Is the GOP arguing now that the house should've subpeonaed witnesses? Cause they would've complied? Even though they didn't comply? And the senate cannot issue subpoenas? What?
That's what the courts are for. Just because they object to the obvious delay doesn't make it obstruction to attempt to use it.

This kind of thing happens every day in our legal system.

Reactions: Ifallalot

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Yet when normal folk ignore subpoenas there’s actual repercussions.
As I understand it the basis is executive privilege, which the House has no right to unilaterally rule on. Like it or not it goes to the courts.

"I am rejecting this demand on xxx grounds - see you in court" happens every day in our legal system and it is not charged as obstruction.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
As I understand it the basis is executive privilege, which the House has no right to unilaterally rule on. Like it or not it goes to the courts.

"I am rejecting this demand on xxx grounds - see you in court" happens every day in our legal system and it is not charged as obstruction.
yep that’s the one that puts the executive branch above the law.

something the trump groupies screeched against. Funny how that drain the swamp thing suddenly doesn’t look so great to them.

Uberkuque

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 19, 2014

Ok. Let me respond to this once again.

Trump did not claim executive privilege. If he had, he would have had to identify with particularity which specific conversations could not be disclosed —I.e., were privileged. This winnows the process, resulting in a shorter timeframe to resolution.

Trump claimed absolute immunity. Every conversation could be kept secret, no matter if it related to privileged material or not! There was no good faith basis for such a ridiculous claim. The concept of “absolute immunity”for the executive simply does not exist. It would have, and indeed its entire purpose, was to embroil the courts in litigation for months, if not years.

And, here, time was of the essence. The reason? Because trump was trying to influence the 2020 election. There was testimony from multiple witnesses that they understood trump to be asking for a false investigation and announcement in the run up to 2020. He wanted to create a “Hillary’s emails” 2.0 — this time, Biden and Burisma! Mulvaney said so! And there has been no — zero, zip, zilch, nada — evidence showing otherwise. And now, Bolton says yes, it’s true.

That’s why, in those circumstances, the house’s failure to litigate “absolute immunity”does not undermine the legitimacy of the proceedings.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

Trump did not claim executive privilege. If he had, he would have had to identify with particularity which specific conversations could not be disclosed —I.e., were privileged. This winnows the process, resulting in a shorter timeframe to resolution.

Trump claimed absolute immunity. Every conversation could be kept secret, no matter if it related to privileged material or not! There was no good faith basis for such a ridiculous claim. The concept of “absolute immunity”for the executive simply does not exist. It would have, and indeed its entire purpose, was to embroil the courts in litigation for months, if not years.

And, here, time was of the essence. The reason? Because trump was trying to influence the 2020 election. There was testimony from multiple witnesses that they understood trump to be asking for a false investigation and announcement in the run up to 2020. He wanted to create a “Hillary’s emails” 2.0 — this time, Biden and Burisma! Mulvaney said so! And there has been no — zero, zip, zilch, nada — evidence showing otherwise. And now, Bolton says yes, it’s true.

That’s why, in those circumstances, the house’s failure to litigate “absolute immunity”does not undermine the legitimacy of the proceedings.

• Love
Reactions: $kully

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad

So because it was an emergency that's why the House had no choice but to bypass their legal remedy and to levy an obstruction allegation for a problem they created for themselves?

Try harder. Because that's not how our legal system works. Motions to dismiss warrants and their proceeds over various errors and technicalities get used every day. Trials over murder allegations usually take place many months and even 2 and 3 years after the arrest as a result of the various legal maneuverings. Running the clock is a perfectly legal play in our legal system, and defendants don't get stacked with obstruction charges as a result of mounting the vigorous defense.

The burden of proof is on the State, not the accused.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
hal9000 said:
Bolton book: Trumby directly tied Ukraine aid to investigations into political rivals.

According to whom? Bolton's "book" has not been released. If true, who in Ukraine, did Trump make this deal with? When? It wasn't during the call with Zelensky.....you know, the one when you previously said it happened.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
So because it was an emergency that's why the House had no choice but to bypass their legal remedy and to levy an obstruction allegation for a problem they created for themselves?

Try harder. Because that's not how our legal system works. Motions to dismiss warrants and their proceeds over various errors and technicalities get used every day. Trials over murder allegations usually take place many months and even 2 and 3 years after the arrest as a result of the various legal maneuverings. Running the clock is a perfectly legal play in our legal system, and defendants don't get stacked with obstruction charges as a result of mounting the vigorous defense.

The burden of proof is on the State, not the accused.
You're ignoring that whole "the House of Representatives have the sole authority over impeachment" constitution thing.

The courts don't have authority once the House begins impeachment proceedings. This is settled law.