Tomo Quad Fins

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Archer not the arrow
you'd probably be making that same turn on a Manta or a Hovercraft
That's my point. Straighter railed mph's can go vertical and surf in the pocket just fine, if you learn how to surf them. Timing and placement are important (just like every design) but are a little different. I remember having to work on my reaction time when surfing one of these for the first time because they were so damn fast. When I improved on those skills, the board worked better.

And I'm not claiming these are the be-all-end-all. Tons of different designs out there work and work very well. There just seems to be a lot of blanket statements that they can't do this or that because of their design characteristics. I'm saying those blanket statements are simply not true.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
That's kinda why I recommend using a regular boar then going back to tomo, will help w control.
When I had someone informally coaching me (lol) he made me ride a single fin mid length all day because I was so spastic.
Cleaned up a lot of my movements.
JKB is that on that Gmm2? thats on my list as well as copying Casa's sharpeye, and a rusty SD. Gf gonna kill me if I order more than 1 board before fall.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
That's my point. Straighter railed mph's can go vertical and surf in the pocket just fine, if you learn how to surf them. Timing and placement are important (just like every design) but are a little different. I remember having to work on my reaction time when surfing one of these for the first time because they were so damn fast. When I improved on those skills, the board worked better.

And I'm not claiming these are the be-all-end-all. Tons of different designs out there work and work very well. There just seems to be a lot of blanket statements that they can't do this or that because of their design characteristics. I'm saying those blanket statements are simply not true.
ya that was what tomo was saying when mph boars first came out. need to adjust and react faster.

im old and slow and cant react fast enough for the tomos lol

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If I remember jkb rides upright fins in his MPH shapes

I'm sure the YUs I was riding worked against me - stiff and rakey.

I found myself washing out with more upright fins.

Gentle with my back foot is not my forte.

Archer issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and Havoc

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
no reincarnation?
Maybe... But not another Deforest.
I keep forgetting to post this but Tomo isn’t the designer of the blunt nose shortboard. Rusty and Todd Chesser are. The whole clip is sick but the blunt nose ripping starts at 1:40. Love and miss you Todd.

hahah!! That’s awesome! I’m definitely saving that video. Lots of ripping going on... Lots to be learned from those surfing moves.

Reactions: teeroi

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Oddly, I found that on the Tomos I surfed, I can go vert as heck, but I couldn't do a roundhouse cutty / off the whitewater and back for sh!t ... or at least consistently. Often times I'd hav e a magic turn, other times, I'd just bog the rail for no apparent reason. Archer for sure, but something in those designs was much too on/off for this specific archer.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
That's kinda why I recommend using a regular boar then going back to tomo, will help w control.
When I had someone informally coaching me (lol) he made me ride a single fin mid length all day because I was so spastic.
Cleaned up a lot of my movements.
JKB is that on that Gmm2? thats on my list as well as copying Casa's sharpeye, and a rusty SD. Gf gonna kill me if I order more than 1 board before fall.
Yes GMM2!. Incredibly fun board, IMO.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
If I remember jkb rides upright fins in his MPH shapes

I'm sure the YUs I was riding worked against me - stiff and rakey.

I found myself washing out with more upright fins.

Gentle with my back foot is not my forte.

Archer issue.
Obviously we all have our different opinions on what works best for us. I happen to like very sensitive boards because of the control it provides and the quick directional changes. I feel like those are some of the mph style boards strong suits. Others prefer more stability in their boards because I think it gives them predictability and maybe an element of forgiveness. (And of course there are all the designs that are in-between these two). Do you happen to prefer more stability in your boards?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Obviously we all have our different opinions on what works best for us. I happen to like very sensitive boards because of the control it provides and the quick directional changes. I feel like those are some of the mph style boards strong suits. Others prefer more stability in their boards because I think it gives them predictability and maybe an element of forgiveness. (And of course there are all the designs that are in-between these two). Do you happen to prefer more stability in your boards?
totally agree.
And I certainly was not trying to say that Tomos can't be surfed vertically, at all. Just that I notice a lot of the guys who ride them don't seem to adjust their reaction time as you and I described.

Reactions: shikaka and jkb

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Depends on the waves.

As of late

I really like the Xanadu X21 for curvier beachbreak and reef conditions here in CA and small Hawaii. Waist to just barely overhead. I use the Futures DHD fin. It's quite a bit more sensitive than any of the MPHs I've ridden but I never found the Vader or Vanguard to be particularly sensitive. Usually see the Mick Fanning FCS fin ridden in the board but saw Thiago Camarao in Hawaii and he was using the Futures WCT which kinda blows my mind.

Head + with push in reefs and points and good beachbreaks where there's opportunity for better quality turns I want stability but the board still has to be able to release. JS Monsta 6 and Xanadu Viper-CT have worked well for me in these kinds of waves (real waves). The Monsta 6 rails are a bit full for my liking.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Tomos have always felt small to me. But I like a lot of rail line to push against. I didn't feel the straight rail line = more rail line. Still feels like a groms board... And I'm built like a middle schooler.

When tomo first came out here, I rode brownfish's raptor w hatchet fins for 2 weeks. It felt Slidey off the bottom, but stiff off the top. Halcyon said there's a reason you don't see a fish w those fins.

But the fins u foiler said about burch's fin, don't you see a cutaway keel?

I like big upright fins, but i can't surf like tomo... Or burch.

Reactions: jkb and retodd