Northern California Storm

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
You look at a storm like this today. It's an inconvenience. Back in 1840 it was a life changer. A survival event.

Reactions: gbg

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The whole Donner thing has interested me lately. Been doing a lot of research, reading about it.

What a lot of people might not know is the party split up into two groups at the end. One by Donner Lake west of Truckee. The other group went into a side canyon northwest of Truckee. Two camps. The outcome was the same.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
1977, 8th grade, SNOW, not hail or frost on the beach in seal beach. In early January. We wore aqua lids and Playtex gloves back then.
I lived a block inland from Mitchell’s cove and remember having enough snow to make a snowman.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The whole Donner thing has interested me lately. Been doing a lot of research, reading about it.

What a lot of people might not know is the party split up into two groups at the end. One by Donner Lake west of Truckee. The other group went into a side canyon northwest of Truckee. Two camps. The outcome was the same.
The Ken Burns documentary is pretty enjoyable.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

I want to open a diner at Donner Pass and name the food after members of the group

Reactions: retodd and mundus

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
of course I am....you're welcome, btw.
Another super fun day. Smaller but offshore, corners galore and still no crowds. Maybe they're shopping? Or stuck up in the mountains? Or in Hawaii? Five good sessions this week. I feel like a surfer again.

Yesterday was bumpy so we went for a hike in Altadena. Snow must have been about 2000 feet. We only had to hike 30 minutes to get the the bottom of the snow.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
visiting the family for the holidays

we layered up last night and did a snow walk

probably 3-4" on the ground this morning
I was just there, Tues - Fri. The drive back on the 395 was pretty crazy, and the ground was mostly snow covered, all the way to maybe 5 miles before Magic Mtn. There must be some kind of record for most sq miles blanketed in snow in CA at one time. I've never seen anything like it.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
"However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”.

“Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he said.

March 2000.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA

the snow level was insane during their time up there. 26 feet where they were is incredible. spent a lot of winters at Donner lake and seen nothing close to that.