*** Official Hawaiian Pro thread ***

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It'd be cool if Slater won this and Sunset. I was checking and it looks like he's never won at either of the two.
Cool for who?
It'd be cool to see Kemper validate his surfing as a local Hawaiian carving out a career in waves that are difficult for everyone else.

It'd be cool to see Barron solidify a position on tour with a win at one of the Triple Crown events in addition to being the best young guy at Pipe since John John.

It'd be cool to see Wade, a workhorse on tour, validate power surfing and his position on tour in waves that call for it in an era of flyboys taking wins.

It'd be cool to see Ethan requalify and have a second go at the CT.

Kelly is far from the best guy out there. Barron, Wade, Ethan, Kemper.... All surfing at a way higher level than the old boy. I'd rather see better surfing vindicated and win the event than an old guy who has had plenty of opportunities in his time and taken them. Kelly winning is boring. Wrong boards. Wrong surfing. Wrong era. Kelly is an easy story because we've been talking about how great he is for 30 goddamn years. We need some new material.

Reactions: shaheeb

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Cool for who?
It'd be cool to see Kemper validate his surfing as a local Hawaiian carving out a career in waves that are difficult for everyone else.

It'd be cool to see Barron solidify a position on tour with a win at one of the Triple Crown events in addition to being the best young guy at Pipe since John John.

It'd be cool to see Wade, a workhorse on tour, validate power surfing and his position on tour in waves that call for it in an era of flyboys taking wins.

Kelly is far from the best guy out there. Barron, Wade, Ethan, Kemper.... All surfing at a way higher level than the old boy. I'd rather see better surfing vindicated and win the event than an old guy who has had plenty of opportunities in his time and taken them. Kelly winning is boring. Wrong boards. Wrong surfing. Wrong era. Kelly is an easy story because we've been talking about how great he is for 30 goddamn years. We need some new material.
Fuck all that, I hope kelly wins all 3 events!

But yeah, Barron is impressive through and through, can't wait to see him on the CT when he qualifies, hopefully for next year already. He's on the cusp and Hawaii is his forte.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Cool for who?

I really didn't put that much thought into it other than it would be cool and neat-o and rad etc to see Slater pick up those wins so he would have won all four main NS contest breaks in his career (Pipe, Waimea, Sunset, Haleiwa). But yeah, those other guys too and all those other reasons would also be cool/neat-o/rad/etc.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Really hoping Barron can pull it off. Such a great surfer.

Super bummed about Jack Robinson though. Hey, maybe he will win sunset

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Barron drops 1530 I think in his top five. He’s going to pick up around 5000pts which puts him at 19000 and change. He’s going to qualify even if he doesn’t make it out of the quarters.

Reactions: Aruka

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
some will double qualify pulling some guys in from the cusp.

Baron is set for big things. hopefully will surpass Zeke who seems...kinda... i dunno? I bet he pissed for losing

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
The only surfer double qualified is Deivid Silva but he’s at 21 on the CT. He could drop off. Yago is at 24. ADS, Mikey Wright or Leo will take the injury wildcards. Plus there’s some CT guys really good at Pipe that will need a big result to stay on. Seabass and Joan. Soli Bailey is way at the bottom of the rankings but he won the Volcom Pro at Pipe before. Drama at the top of leader board for the title drama at the bottom who gets to stay on.

Heard a rumor from an industry guy that Pat O wants to cut the men’s CT field down even more. That only JJF and Gabby move the needle on viewership. Maybe why they’re starting the Challenger series with more qs10000’s. If they cut the field events will run a lot faster.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Barron drops 1530 I think in his top five. He’s going to pick up around 5000pts which puts him at 19000 and change. He’s going to qualify even if he doesn’t make it out of the quarters.
Went and looked, I think you need Semis to get 5,000 pts cause if you lose quarters you only get 3,700 pts. Which would still put him in top 10 going to sunset. So I'd say Barron needs to make one more heat at Haleiwa (preferably final) to be safe going into Sunset.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Heard a rumor from an industry guy that Pat O wants to cut the men’s CT field down even more. That only JJF and Gabby move the needle on viewership. Maybe why they’re starting the Challenger series with more qs10000’s. If they cut the field events will run a lot faster.
We can only hope.

Right now the top 10 QS includes: Jadson, Alex Ribeiro, Conor Oleary, Miguel Pupo, Fred Morias and Matt Banting. Did we go back in time??