America's workers still struggle despite strong jobs reports....

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Insanely high costs for employers to stay in business. As costs to do business go up you can only raise prices so high before customers stop buying. The burden is maxed out and wages are stuck. Big bloated government is the problem.
It certainly is an issue. I would love to hire another technician right now because I’m slammed but I’d lose money. It’s so expensive to hire someone in California. You take the wages paid plus the unseen (by the employee) costs it’s nuts.

Pay for a certified tech is $25-30 an hour and I can bill him/her at $75. Problem is that my real cost to employ is roughly triple the wage. I’d lose money.

I‘m just a little guy with a small business trying to create “green jobs” which the government says they want to support but they put so many road blocks in the way.

It‘s one job that will never get created and the only reason is regulatory obstacles.

Frustrating and sad.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Where did I say "any"

Stop with the black & white thinking
I'd have no debt besides mortgage if I had that money back; and that's just from 11 months of this year
it reads like you want that money back

you didn't say "some" of that money

forgive me for reading the words you wrote and deriving
meaning from their literal definition

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
it reads like you want that money back

you didn't say "some" of that money

forgive me for reading the words you wrote and deriving
meaning from their literal definition
You’re playing games. Two separate sentences, two separate thoughts

But who doesn’t want that money back. You’re an idiot if you’re happy the government took it

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It's easy to make over $100K/year by age 30 in these jobs and many, many more:

Plumber
Software developer
Engineer of any kind
Pretty much any of the trades
Accountant
Financial analyst
RN
PT/PTA
and so on...

If somebody majors in whiny-ass bullshit studies and then complains about being left behind as they struggle to pay off their loans while freelancing articles on their blog and pouring capuccinos, they should STFU and strap on a nail bag or learn to set tile of some damn thing.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
It certainly is an issue. I would love to hire another technician right now because I’m slammed but I’d lose money. It’s so expensive to hire someone in California. You take the wages paid plus the unseen (by the employee) costs it’s nuts.

Pay for a certified tech is $25-30 an hour and I can bill him/her at $75. Problem is that my real cost to employ is roughly triple the wage. I’d lose money.

I‘m just a little guy with a small business trying to create “green jobs” which the government says they want to support but they put so many road blocks in the way.

It‘s one job that will never get created and the only reason is regulatory obstacles.

Frustrating and sad.
You've nailed it. I meet with the owners and top management of small and medium businesses every day and its a common theme. Rank and file employees don't get the connection either. They think the boss is screwing them. The costs to keep the lights on at a business are staggering and the costs of employees far exceed what the employee sees on their paycheck. We've maxed out what we can squeeze out of employers to the point that most can't pay higher wages even when they want to.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
You’re playing games. Two separate sentences, two separate thoughts

But who doesn’t want that money back. You’re an idiot if you’re happy the government took it
you should choose your words more carefully if you want people
to understand what you mean when you say it.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Everything is the workers fault, never mind massive corprate profits and the yuge corprate tax cut.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
One of the issues we're still dealing with, is catching up with overall inflation not counted in typical reporting.

The stagnating wage growth from 2000 to 2016 was pretty brutal. We went thru more than a decade without much for raises, unless you were a bottom rung employee moving up. Many with more senior positions saw little in wage increases during those 16 years. Granted "basic" inflation was not off the charts either, but other taxes and fees were NOT curbed at all (Obamacare being one huge chunk out of small business). Only recently are we seeing any real semblance of wage growth, but we still have a lot of catching up for the previous 16 years of stagnation. It will take years of wage growth to get back to anything resembling "normal".

Exactly. I still think inflation is much worse than reported.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Yes, you realize first hand when you go into biz on your own, and have to pay yourself on payroll.

Basically DOUBLE your SS and Medicare withholdling tax and add in a few local/state taxes on top that the employer usually pays. Then pay full insurance premiums on top of that, instead of partial amounts.

I thought at first I might make double my earlier employee income, but it's turning out about 50% more at best, but now having to manage all the quoting, PO's, invoicing, accounting, blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: Ifallalot

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The GOP solution to poverty:

-Word harder
-Stop being so poor
What’s Hal’s solution?

(Asking for the people that can’t find a job where they can post on the erBB all day and buy a slum house that they rent to a herd of wetbacks.)