Surfboard volume = your weight / 6

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Doing airs?

Damn. I’ve never done one on purpose.
Trying to keep up with the kids/guys that can stick them is (and has) doing my knee(s) in. I'm six months older than Kelly and seeing him punt every once in a while keeps my trying jumps. My make rate has done down exponentially the last couple of years.

It's still fun to see if I can hang with the groms/much better sarfers in the above the lip department. I was NEVER an air guy, but appreciate the approach. Some du that looked like he was within four years my age, landed some crazy rotations last weekend at my local. It was Greg Browning's Surfers Walk of Fame day, so I assumed he was an ex pro (that I obviously didn't recognize) there for Greg. My kid equates good sarfing with airs, so that's why I go for them time-to-time.

Reactions: oeste858

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Trying to keep up with the kids/guys that can stick them is (and has) doing my knee(s) in. I'm six months older than Kelly and seeing him punt every once in a while keeps my trying jumps. My make rate has done down exponentially the last couple of years.

It's still fun to see if I can hang with the groms/much better sarfers in the above the lip department. I was NEVER an air guy, but appreciate the approach. Some du that looked like he was within four years my age, landed some crazy rotations last weekend at my local. It was Greg Browning's Surfers Walk of Fame day, so I assumed he was an ex pro (that I obviously didn't recognize) there for Greg. My kid equates good sarfing with airs, so that's why I go for them time-to-time.
Yeah, I pulled an allie oop once by accident and occasionally will hit the lip too high and flip a little ollie, or get thrown out into the flats.

But I don’t think I ever thought “I’m gonna punt this section” and actually pulled it off.

I’ll try it next time I get the chance.:drowning:

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Don’t get sick in Indo, and I smoke, put sugar in my coffee and eat banana honey pancakes for breakfast when there. Yet somehow the pounds drop.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Trying to keep up with the kids/guys that can stick them is (and has) doing my knee(s) in.
Watched the Snapper world champs heat. There was panic for a few seconds among the commentators when post-MCL recovery Mick went for an air and landed awkwardly "NOOOOOoooooooo"

coquearaujo

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2004
Nigrán, Galiza, Europe
www.waira.com
187 lbs and 48 here and boards between 31 and 32 liters seem to be my magic number. I know in theory this is being under volume, BUT recently made myself a 34 L HPS thinking that's the way to go since I'm getting old and not surfing much, so I should ride more volume but it didn't work for me. The board felt stiff, and I was even riding slower and fighting to make faster sections because I generate speed much better on my 31.5 L HPS. :shrug:

I'm fit, but I don't surf that much anymore.

BTW, most pros are riding more volume these days. Look at Ethan riding really reasonable volume for his weight.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Last time I was in the stumps factory I put my hands on a couple of simpos boards and thought, damn I could ride this. A bit small but not by that much.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008

Last intentional air I did was about 4 years ago, just before I turned 50. Backside front arm grab. Then ruined my shoulder, didn't surf for a year plus, and now I suck. #cryingemoji

I still do enjoy surfing.

Oh yeah, per this thread: 54 years old, 5'10", 165 pounds, usually use about 29-30 liters.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
If I rode a 32 liter board all the time I'd be one grumpy dumpling.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
187 lbs and 48 here and boards between 31 and 32 liters seem to be my magic number. I know in theory this is being under volume, BUT recently made myself a 34 L HPS thinking that's the way to go since I'm getting old and not surfing much, so I should ride more volume but it didn't work for me. The board felt stiff, and I was even riding slower and fighting to make faster sections because I generate speed much better on my 31.5 L HPS. :shrug:

I'm fit, but I don't surf that much anymore.

BTW, most pros are riding more volume these days. Look at Ethan riding really reasonable volume for his weight.
In my experience going from like 29-30 to 33-34L the past few years, it makes a big difference how the foam is distributed- even hidden in the outline. Some shapers are better at this than others. All 34L boars are not going to feel the same, obviously

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
In my experience going from like 29-30 to 33-34L the past few years, it makes a big difference how the foam is distributed- even hidden in the outline. Some shapers are better at this than others. All 34L boars are not going to feel the same, obviously
I have a 34L 5-11 x 19.75 and a 34.5L 6-0 x 20.5 and the 5-11 paddles noticeably better. I also have a 38.8L 5-11 x 20.5 and both of the lower volume boards paddle better than it.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
My 33+ liter 5'6" GMM2 is noticeably different - and not in a good way - to my 30 liter 5'7" GMM2 that @sdsrfr inherited. The larger 5'6" obviously pushes water more and doesn't have the same 'get up & go' that the smaller board has. Interesting because they're the same width (19") but the nose and tail on the 5'6" are wider.

That 30L one is THE one.

• Wow
Reactions: sdsrfr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My 33+ liter 5'6" GMM2 is noticeably different - and not in a good way - to my 30 liter 5'7" GMM2 that @sdsrfr inherited. The larger 5'6" obviously pushes water more and doesn't have the same 'get up & go' that the smaller board has. Interesting because they're the same width (19") but the nose and tail on the 5'6" are wider.

That 30L one is THE one.
Are they both done by XTR or is one/both PU hand shaped by Jake or Wegener? Both have the tomo channel? I had an early one without the channel and didn’t like it as much. RK claimed it didn’t make much difference when I asked him about it, but i missed it.

edit: I think as you go up in length, you gotta slim width way down.
the 5’8 I had was a full inch narrower than the 5’6. Both felt about right balance. Once the 5’6 got too short for me to paddle, I wish I hadn’t sold the 5’8 to a buddy.

Last edited: