Surfboard volume = your weight / 6

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I used my weight divided by 6 multiplied by 10 and it worked perfectly for my balsa Olo.

• Love
Reactions: jkb

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
240/6=40 liters. I ride 42 liters in my 6’6 short board and 47 in my 7’0 step up. 8’0 gun is 58. 9’0 67, 10’0 79. Interestingly I can duck dive all of them except my 10’0. Most of my buddies can’t even duck dive their 7’6s.

• Love
Reactions: Muscles and Maz

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I think it should be weight/ 7 , maybe even 8. Volume should be minimal to maximize performance. No less than neck deep sitting on your board. I surf so much better when people listen to me.

May 10, 2018
Serious question for those of you capable of surfing very low volume boards: how do you 'swim' the board into the takeoff?

I absolutely suck at it, just like I suck at catching waves bodysurfing or on an alaia.
Paddle as forward on the board as you can, stay as low as you can but arch your back just enough. Think about paddling 'into' the wave not 'onto' the wave. Someone mentioned bodysurfing. That is a good way of thinking about it.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Paddle as forward on the board as you can, stay as low as you can but arch your back just enough. Think about paddling 'into' the wave not 'onto' the wave. Someone mentioned bodysurfing. That is a good way of thinking about it.
Forward on the board for sure.

It might sound weird to some but for me, the most efficient paddling position is when the tip of the boards nose is just slightly submerged under water. That's paddling through the lineup. When catching a wave, I'm either in the same position but digging harder/paddling faster or positioned just slightly aft so the nose pops out above the surface.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
You can get away with a lot less volume in the Islands IMO. Waves that pull you into the takeoff vs waves where you have to battle your way in. I've brought home boards I thought were magic that were barely surfboards in west coast waves.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
The reverse is true too. Not having been surfing in the reefs of Asia in 20 years and taking boards that work great here I found some of them boaty over there with the draw in the reefs.

Last edited:
Reactions: claw87

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Well, I've gone from 180 to 174 in 3 weeks. Will let you know when I hit 170, and I'll eat my words then but be very pleased.
Ya bastard...I was hot on your heels (or so I thought at 182) and now you've gapped me.
Going to the Philippines in less than 2 weeks for 3 weeks so plan on shedding quite a bit there.

Reactions: Maz

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
As someone that has been getting mostly custom borts for almost 40 years, I know my dims and how they've changed with my body's changes and my ability level going up, and unfortunately starting a backslide the last year or so. I find the volume # handy to figure out how a bort will feel (boaty vs. not enough float). I can still ride my 27-28L borts (I'm 6' and 173 as of this am), but I think I'll be ordering my next Stumps with dims that = around 30L to make things easier for my 52 year old self.

I did have a positive aging moment this past Monday. My daughter was watching our local spot and told a friend (and an occasional sub at her high school, RUHS) that she thought she saw a local QS surfer, Magno Pacheco, do a nice air. He said "Magno is in Brazil, that's your dad". He (my buddy and occasional sub for my kid) paddled out and told me about the exchange which got me pretty stocked.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
As someone that has been getting mostly custom borts for almost 40 years, I know my dims and how they've changed with my body's changes and my ability level going up, and unfortunately starting a backslide the last year or so. I find the volume # handy to figure out how a bort will feel (boaty vs. not enough float). I can still ride my 27-28L borts (I'm 6' and 173 as of this am), but I think I'll be ordering my next Stumps with dims that = around 30L to make things easier for my 52 year old self.

I did have a positive aging moment this past Monday. My daughter was watching our local spot and told a friend (and an occasional sub at her high school, RUHS) that she thought she saw a local QS surfer, Magno Pacheco, do a nice air. He said Magno is in Brazil, that's your dad. He paddled out and told me about the exchange which got me pretty stocked.
Doing airs?

Damn. I’ve never done one on purpose.

• Haha
Reactions: ChaseTMP

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
All of my boards are over volumed now.

Need to buy my Pod and Wizard Sleeve back.

Sold my Pod to Roy Orbison’s son.

Send it back, Orbie!