What's the erBB's stance on GMOs?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
VeniceSrfr said:
I think the term is misused. We have been cross breeding seeds for generations but some companies like Monsanto take it too far with putting sheep dna into plants, etc.

They also partake in some really bad business practices. I'm not against GMO's, I'm just not for Monsanto.

I think we need a better term to describe the frankenfood that Monsanto creates. "GMO" is too general.
This is my stance as well

My good friend from high school has a MS in Food Science and he loves GMOs

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
It is a funny, fragmented discussion. The more extreme engineering is a bit concerning re: long-term effects, but I'm not too worried about that. I think the real concerns revolve around the business practices of the GMO producers, especially Monsanto. Patenting seeds which are capable of drifting to farms that haven't purchased them and enforcing those patents against the faultless farmer is one concern. It seems the biggest concern though is the practice of developing GMO products that are pesticide resistant and testing those crops in the wrong areas, i.e. close to schools, water sources, etc.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
sizzld1 said:
It is a funny, fragmented discussion. The more extreme engineering is a bit concerning re: long-term effects, but I'm not too worried about that. I think the real concerns revolve around the business practices of the GMO producers, especially Monsanto. Patenting seeds which are capable of drifting to farms that haven't purchased them and enforcing those patents against the faultless farmer is one concern. It seems the biggest concern though is the practice of developing GMO products that are pesticide resistant and testing those crops in the wrong areas, i.e. close to schools, water sources, etc.
Same here. I don't agree with many of the ethical and business practices relating to GMOs but don't see what the big deal is from a chemical and biological perspective. I'm amazed at the number of people who think GMOs cause cancer or expose us to "toxins". People who use the term "toxins" often have little to no understanding of toxicology.