what is q-cell?

luvtosurf77

Michael Peterson status
Jun 12, 2003
VA
I want to fill in a few pressure dings on the bottom of my board- this seems to be the stuff to use. What is it and where can I get some?

bobsurf

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2003
Blue Oyster Bar
If I understood JJR correctly last week, they make a type of "filler" that dries clear as opposed to white like q-cell. Might be a better option for filling in pressure dings.

q-cell is a very fine powder that you can mix with resin to fill in large gaps where you might have lost some foam. You mix it to a nice pasty consistency and slap it in. Sand to desired shape.

anarchy_burger

OTF status
Jan 14, 2003
If your pressure dings are water tight (most are), just leave them alone.

Q-cell is for reparing fairly large holes (e.g. from a collision) or deep rail dings.

BTW, make an investment in a good filter mask before you crack open a bag of q-cell. That stuff is tiny (like asbestos) and you don't want to breath any of it in.

luvtosurf77

Michael Peterson status
Jun 12, 2003
VA
oh, ok. My pressure dings are rather small, about the size of a quarter or less. One is slightly deeper than the others. I love my Channel Islands board so much that I wanted to make it perfect again. But I guess I will just let it go.

dk

Kelly Slater status
Sep 14, 2003
Leucadia
Visit site
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by luvtosurf77:
<strong>oh, ok. My pressure dings are rather small, about the size of a quarter or less. One is slightly deeper than the others. I love my Channel Islands board so much that I wanted to make it perfect again. But I guess I will just let it go.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you would be crazy to fix "2 pressure dings" with q-cell. would just make the board more ugly, and wouldnt make it any better.

pressure dings are not a big deal. excessive dings and leaving other dings open, may lead to delam...but just pressure dings shouldnt hurt.

never heard of a surfboard without a pressure ding

dk

dk

Kelly Slater status
Sep 14, 2003
Leucadia
Visit site
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Rob Olliges:
<strong>Try a heat gun. They work like magic.

Rob Olliges</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah, just be careful, u could fvck it up pretty good, maybe even make it twice as big, or cause some delam.

dk