Travelling with foils.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
i'm in the process of changing foil brands after a few purchase errors(takuma,fvck those guys) and moving away from my beginner gong setup but some of the decent options out there like signature/unifoil (wing and fuse together) and gofoil (mast and fuse together) don't pack down into a nice easy to throw on a plane case like some of the other options.

who's done air travels with gofoils and signature style wings here? how did you pack em to not get damaged?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I went to Oahu with mine from Maui. Packed in a regular board bag, the wider fish style board bag. Traveled fine. With everything carbon fiber they're very strong. you should see the beating they take when someone doesn't clean thier gear and a wing gets stuck on the mast. I saw Alex literally using everything he had to whack the wing with the rubber hammer to get the thing unstuck.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
kaser, do you think it'd fit in a 4 board coffin bag on top of a bunch of boards? maybe the tuttle mast with plate adaptor might be a better way to go i you needed to pack it in with boards tightly?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
kaser, do you think it'd fit in a 4 board coffin bag on top of a bunch of boards? maybe the tuttle mast with plate adaptor might be a better way to go i you needed to pack it in with boards tightly?
Yes and yes

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
my light weight SuP paddle and prone board and GoFoil29.5" mast with lots of extra padding all pack in a SUP board bag just under the weight limit...xtra wingsplate adapter and tools and kite stuff go in another checked bag...

but yeah...the 24" mast just *barely* used to fit in a supersized suitcase...the 29.5" mast has to go in the board bag