*** The Official 2022 What Are You Listening To Thread ***

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Did anyone else catch this story about North Sentinel Island? According to John Callahan and verified by the photographer on board in 1999 a boatload of surfers anchored off the notorious North Sentinel Island and had an encounter with the generally hostile natives. The following song was playing on the boat's sound system when the natives approached in their canoe holding spears, bows and arrows. They paddled around their boat listening to the music for a while and then paddled away. Good thing the music was mellow, contemplative instrumental. If it was heavy metal the surfers may have been murdered.

"In 1999, after our first trip to the Andamans ex-Phuket, I received a request from XXXX, then working at XXXX, for some info how he could send a crew of surfers to the Andamans. I gave him the name and contact of the company we had used in Phuket for the boat charter and some tips on where to look for waves. I also specifically said not to try to go to North Sentinel, as it was off limits to everyone as the tribal people, unlike the Jarawa and Onge people, were well documented to be hostile and known to attack any visitors with spears and poisoned arrows."

Cut

"Suddenly, the warriors stopped paddling. Gliding towards the boat they looked transfixed. With no engine noise from their canoe, the captain said they could hear the music from the sound system on the boat."

"They could throw spears or shoot poisoned arrows at any time, and we were scared shitless. But they did nothing, appearing to be listening to the music. After three slow circles around our boat they paddled away, reached the sand, carried their canoe up past the tree line and disappeared into the forest"

Escape from North Sentinel Island | Swellnet Dispatch | Swellnet

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LBKpilot