The GOAT passed away exactly 30 years ago. Senna forever missed.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
A lot like the crash that killed Dale Earnhardt, the crash really didn't look all that bad. Drivers survive or even walk away from the craziest crashes all the time and then you have two of the greatest ever in their forms of racing who die in seemingly minor crashes.
There were countless red flags that weekend before the race. On Friday, Barrichello crashed hard and had to go to the hospital (albeit only minor injuries and a broken nose). On Saturday, Roland Ratzenberger crashed and died.

1994 had way too many accidents, crazy they let that happen. That year they removed all of the electronic driver aids and didn't reduce the engine's power, so the cars were almost impossible to drive.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Ernhart or Senna cutnsnip?

The Formula 1 Drive to Survive documentary took viewers into the pits, the boardroom and the tracks around the world. Highly entertaining (if you’re into fast cars) and informative.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: brukuns and PJ

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
A lot like the crash that killed Dale Earnhardt, the crash really didn't look all that bad. Drivers survive or even walk away from the craziest crashes all the time and then you have two of the greatest ever in their forms of racing who die in seemingly minor crashes.
Yes - Earnhardt's crash did not look bad at all but he went from 190 mph to zero in a split second, snapping his neck. Then Adam Petty died in a crash a month or so later. The chassis tubing was protective from intrusion but short stops like that were still deadly, unlike the wild ride of end over end over end, scrubbing off a little speed each time and slowing gradually. This put Nascar into high gear safety-wise and they mad a lot of improvements in a short few years. Circle Track magazine was just loaded with HANS devices on helmets and shoulders to protect the neck (other race series had HANS already), much stronger driver seats with battleship-like head restraints on either side, SAFER shock absorbing barriers around the track, etc.
My wife and I are really into F1 now, watch qualifying and race each week. We’re going to Silverstone England this year to see the race, 3 day passes with our son and his girlfriend too – making a 2-week trip out of it. Bringing my Nikon D810, 600mm lens and bought a new monopod, rain hood (actually hoping for some dramatic rain shots) and backpack for all the stuff.
My son works for Google – the McLaren team is sponsored by Google with the colors on the wheels – so I had stickers made for my Corvette :cheers:
IMG_8216.JPG

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Yes - Earnhardt's crash did not look bad at all but he went from 190 mph to zero in a split second, snapping his neck. Then Adam Petty died in a crash a month or so later. The chassis tubing was protective from intrusion but short stops like that were still deadly, unlike the wild ride of end over end over end, scrubbing off a little speed each time and slowing gradually. This put Nascar into high gear safety-wise and they mad a lot of improvements in a short few years. Circle Track magazine was just loaded with HANS devices on helmets and shoulders to protect the neck (other race series had HANS already), much stronger driver seats with battleship-like head restraints on either side, SAFER shock absorbing barriers around the track, etc.
My wife and I are really into F1 now, watch qualifying and race each week. We’re going to Silverstone England this year to see the race, 3 day passes with our son and his girlfriend too – making a 2-week trip out of it. Bringing my Nikon D810, 600mm lens and bought a new monopod, rain hood (actually hoping for some dramatic rain shots) and backpack for all the stuff.
My son works for Google – the McLaren team is sponsored by Google with the colors on the wheels – so I had stickers made for my Corvette :cheers:
View attachment 179325
Nice! Once or twice a year I venture to the New Jersey Motorsports Park to shoot racing and club events. I've never been to a big race though. Its good camera practice but the settings for the track are very different than shooting surf like I usually do.

1714587538034.png

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
View attachment 179325
:shrug:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
And the crazy thing is, Senna complained loudly about some parts of the track being dangerous and unsuitable, during the walk through inspection.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Who was Senna?

Never heard of him.

I thought this had something to do with Kelly Slater.
Just a Brazilian F1 pilot who is considered by many the best F1 pilot of all time. His death crushed Brazil hard, everyone loved him and followed him every race. Many tough old men cried like little children exactly 30 years ago. I cried, but I was only 11.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
only true and a bit older F1 fans will remember Senna and his iconic yellow helmet.

I was little but remember my dad bought one of those big ass satellite dishes just so we could watch hockey and F1 races. His favorite drivers were Senna and Mansell. I remember when Senna died. My dad was quite somber that day.

Reactions: brukuns