Tamarindolike Surf?

Apr 13, 2005
Can anyone recommend a spot with waves similar to Tamarindo that is good for quasi-beginners. I am sort of a beginner (from east coast, only get to surf during summer, not that often and kind of crappy waves, with a few trips to costa rica and cali) and have been to Tamarindo a few times and LOVE the waves. Am looking for a sort of similar spot (i.e. good for beginners, nicely shaped waves, relatively calm water and not TOO scary) to travel for surf vacation. As a point of reference I spent close to a month surfing in Tamarindo and loved it (July) but then went to mal pais and was too scared to get in the water. I am not a total baby -just want the vacation to be fun adn get a lot of surfing in without constantly worrying about drowning - warrented or not. Notravel restrictions - any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much. I really need a vacation.

Apr 13, 2005
Thank LI. Any particular place in NJ?? Do you happen to know of any similar places abroad?

Long Island Surfer

Michael Peterson status
Sep 4, 2002
islip
I feel bad, I was being sarcastic

try california towards the end of the summer, water isnt tropical but you will probably get some swell

Sep 3, 2003
Lotta fun waves around Playa Hermosa and south of there a bit...can get a little bone crushing over 6 ft, but at least you only hit sand...

Apr 13, 2005
oh and of course i totally took you seriously. thanks though i will be in cali end of summer. maybe i'll try nosara - any excuse to go back to CR. Malpais was beautiful and I loved the place, but when i was there the waves were huge and very intimidating, especially when i had just come from tamarindo. then two friends broke boards in the first few days so i was nervous. thanks for all your input - am also thinking about mexico????