Surfing in Singapore

Aug 19, 2005
Hey dudes and dudettes,
So I'm going to Singapore for a year next summer, doing a year abroad for school, and I was wondering if anyone had any info on the surf on the actual island of Singapore. I know Indo is surrounding it, so I'll be taking trips every chance I get outta class to go surf some of the best waves in the world, but I was wondering if anyone knew any waves really close to Singapore itself. Any info would be appreciated, thanks folks

adikgede

OTF status
Sep 1, 2004
GMT +8
Look at a map. Where would the waves come from?

They only waves on Singapore come from the traffic in the Strait of Malacca. Go to Indonesia. What youll learn about Singapore after being there for a week is that you will leave every chance you get.

diroberts

Miki Dora status
Apr 14, 2003
ProHoVille
Plan on getting a good surf case/coffin (hard cases work the best) and making MANY weekend runs to Indo. In my view, Singapore is probably the BEST city for a surfer to be "landlocked" in given the proximity to all of Indo....

Aug 19, 2005
thanks guys, i know i'll be hopping over to the different places all the time, I was just hoping something would be washing down from the north into the harbor or something, but I guess it's wishful thinking. thanks for all the info

adikgede

OTF status
Sep 1, 2004
GMT +8
I was just hoping something would be washing down from the north
Your chances would be better taking the ferry across to Batam or Pinang in Riau. But I don't think a northern exposure on the South China Sea would help. Look at this photo of the waves generated by the Christmas Tsunami. Not much going on on the west side of Borneo in the South China Sea.