Surfers ear surgery cost ??

Shacks

OTF status
Feb 16, 2012
Hello anyone have the surfers ear surgery
Or know about the cost ?? I’m in San Diego
Was dealing with an infection recently and went to Ent .told me my ear was completely blocked with surfer ear and need immediate surgery.. like in 3 days he’s sets the appointment and find out it’s 70k total and 4k out my pocket ( deductible) does that even sound right ??

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Insurance paid for mine and I can't remember the deductible amount, but that seems pretty damn expensive. If I were you I would contact Dr. Hetzler in Santa Cruz and see if you can get in there. He pretty much invented the best technique for doing it. He did both of my ears at the same time (100% and 98% blockage), using a chisel when SoCal doctors were insisting on one at a time and using a drill. It cost me less than what you were quoted, there was zero pain, and my ears were healed within 3-4 weeks. Good luck!

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
There’s lotsa docs that use the same exact technique as Hetzler - chisel (& OP is in San Diego- not gonna want travel back to SD after that surgery) & guaranteed the wait time for that guy will be very long - can take days for them just to return a phone call.

Just make sure whomever is doing the surgery has tons of experience doing them w a chisel n if they don’t find a doc that does have the experience.

If it’s completely blocked, doc can’t see ear drum as he’s chiseling away- they have to go way slower n the chance of rupturing the ear drum goes way up.

Insurance and deductibles are all over the place. Call your insurance provider n confirm the deductible.

Reactions: Woke AF

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Hello anyone have the surfers ear surgery
Or know about the cost ?? I’m in San Diego
Was dealing with an infection recently and went to Ent .told me my ear was completely blocked with surfer ear and need immediate surgery.. like in 3 days he’s sets the appointment and find out it’s 70k total and 4k out my pocket ( deductible) does that even sound right ??
Sounds scammy.
They won't do the surgery until the infection is healed. 70k sounds way out of line but? 20 years ago mine was 10k no insurance.
My other ear is 99% closed got referred to the hot shot surgery because the other Kaiser surgeons didn't want to do it and they all said they could do chip or drill but strongly recommended drill because less guessing.
I did schedule with Hetzer in SC 10 years ago but he said since I rarely get infections no hurry. The hot shot surgeon said the same, if you get tired of infections get the surgery.
I haven't had an infection in over a year so I see no reason to schedule the surgery. My surgeon friend said to find a surgeon who doesn't need the work and get their opinion. They won't invent an emergency you don't have. Hetzer did seem the most straight forward and I would go with him if I had a choice.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Somehow missed the 70k maybe that was was a typo? If not - then run in the other direction.

I had both done a couple yrs ago - don’t remember the cost - but def a fraction of 70k