Sternum Pain

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
About 3 months ago I started to get pain in the sternum when I paddle out, sit up on board, etc. Its not the normal rib pain you get when you haven't paddled in awhile. It like a ligament pull just under middle of chest. When the pain really acts up its pretty sharp when I first start paddling. Close your eyes, suck it up, keep paddling pain and dont arch back up as much. Suck the stomach in to sit on board. I thought it went away as I was in mainland mex 2 weeks ago and all was good. Now I just just reactivated it with this little south swell. Ive been surfing 40yrs since a little kid. Never had this one nor heard of anyone complaint about it in the water. Thoughts?

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
They think diagnosis is Costochondritis. I’m supposed to use a padded kook rash guard after 2 weeks off. Any experience with this out there?

Ando

Nep status
Mar 12, 2003
the porkroll state
I have something similar going on, I believe it’s scar tissue pressing against a nerve,
Sharp pain , It’s worse 2nd day If i don’t surf for a while ... probably swelling on the ribs..
I get the normal rib pain after lack of surf but this is a spot like a bone spur maybe

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I have something similar going on, I believe it’s scar tissue pressing against a nerve,
Sharp pain , It’s worse 2nd day If i don’t surf for a while ... probably swelling on the ribs..
I get the normal rib pain after lack of surf but this is a spot like a bone spur maybe
Sounds the same. It’s nothing like normal rib pain after lack of surf as you said. Mine has been on-off for 3 months. You?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
If you are in a full suit most of the year, and then go on a trip surfing in trunks, you are gonna be hurtin. I got one of these.
Screenshot_20200904-085418_Amazon Shopping.jpg

inlandLocal

Nep status
Jul 8, 2008
I've been dealing with this for the past 2 months and have not been able to surf in about 4 weeks. 1st rib on my right side where it attaches to the sternum, super sharp pain when I go to pop up or if I move a certain way throughout the day it will grab you like someone hitting your chest with their fingertips. I have a physical labor job and am sure that does not help, but I've been doing ice/heat and ibuprofen for the last week after work so hopefully I'll see some progress.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I've been dealing with this for the past 2 months and have not been able to surf in about 4 weeks. 1st rib on my right side where it attaches to the sternum, super sharp pain when I go to pop up or if I move a certain way throughout the day it will grab you like someone hitting your chest with their fingertips. I have a physical labor job and am sure that does not help, but I've been doing ice/heat and ibuprofen for the last week after work so hopefully I'll see some progress.
That’s it. Brutal. Once it settles down try this. It fits under your suit so nobody will notice. It’s working for me. It’s expensive but I’m in the water. It distributes the force across your ribs. https://sportguard.net/

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I would not put heat on that. Ice only.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I know-I wear it every surf now. LOL My ego makes me put it on fast and cover with my wetsuit fast....I look around-did anyone see that?