SNOT Romney returns

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
YUK! Don't i look GREAT in a suit? Isn't my church wonderful?
At least he makes Donald look good.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
When Trump's conduct can compel people to discuss topics that were previously considered so extreme they didn't bear discussion then that moves the Overton Window in that direction. Had Bernie won the window would be moving in the opposite direction.

It pays to be a winner. For a while, anyway.

Everyone to the right of his critics is becoming desensitized to those complaints, however you'd characterize them. I think that apathy will persist long after Trump is gone.

With that said, you guys should thank Allah that Trump's primary strength is his willingness to go on offense with the church of the media rather than being the smartest guy in the room. If Trump was as smart as Newt or Ted you guys would really be hating life right now. His unforced errors are the only thing holding his ratings down.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
GDaddy said:
Everyone to the right of his critics is becoming desensitized to those complaints, however you'd characterize them. I think that apathy will persist long after Trump is gone.
Everyone to the right of his critics probably has a very significant overlap with the people who still supported GWB after most of the country didn't. Trump's support in the Alabama special Senate election was 48 for, 48 against. Perfectly split in a very red state.

The GOP base has not been part of the reality-based community in well over a decade. Obama's a Kenyan-born Muslim. WMD.

I'd amend your second bit that Trump's problem is letting his presidency default to the Pence/Ryan/McConnell agenda, a deeply unpopular one that Obama ran against to beat Romney in 2012, and that Trump ran against to win the GOP primary in 2016.

The tax cut is unpopular because the under 50 rank and file can see that they're getting a single peanut per year now, and it will cost them a PB&J sammy per month when it's their turn for Social Security and Medicare. No amount of unforced errors caused that. It lost Mitt Romney the election, and he was as perfect a candidate as you could ask for in terms of unforced errors.

Remember when "binders full of women" was the biggest faux pas, followed by "the trees are just the right height"? That guy still lost what was almost entirely a class warfare election.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Young people were fucked by the SS and Medicare system long before Trump even thought about running for President

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
ifallalot said:
Young people were fucked by the SS and Medicare system long before Trump even thought about running for President
So did he veto the tax cut, and make an attempt to shore up funding for those by cutting DoD spending or raising the income cap on payroll tax?

Or did he sign the tax cut into law?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Sharkbiscuit said:
ifallalot said:
So did he veto the tax cut, and make an attempt to shore up funding for those by cutting DoD spending or raising the income cap on payroll tax?

Or did he sign the tax cut into law?
No President has done anything to help SS since FDR. The fund is constantly stolen from to fund other sh!t government programs.

I'm not excusing the current administration, but to act like this is some innovation to defund SS and Medicare is simply idiotic

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Romney got so played by Trump when the Cheese invited him to the Tower and Romney, who had been critical of Trump, accepted the invite. Mit thought he was being considering for Secretary of State. :roflmao: I wonder what was really said at that meeting? I'm thinking Trump rubbed Romney's face in it.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
ifallalot said:
to act like this is some innovation to defund SS and Medicare is simply idiotic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starve_the_beast

You are the person who just yesterday said the free market ended slavery. I suppose because the Federal Government sent the Union Army, which included conscripted soldiers, to set Georgia on fire?

:foreheadslap:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Sharkbiscuit said:
ifallalot said:
to act like this is some innovation to defund SS and Medicare is simply idiotic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starve_the_beast

You are the person who just yesterday said the free market ended slavery. I suppose because the Federal Government sent the Union Army, which included conscripted soldiers, to set Georgia on fire?

:foreheadslap:
Not directly, but it was the wealth of the North that defeated the South. The wealth that came from the free market. I had a feeling that many people wouldn't make that connection, so that's why I left it vague on purpose. I figured some people wouldn't understand, but I thought more of you

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
ifallalot said:
Not directly, but it was the wealth of the North that defeated the South. The wealth that came from the free market. I had a feeling that many people wouldn't make that connection, so that's why I left it vague on purpose. I figured some people wouldn't understand, but I thought more of you
Yes, but you made it in a thread concerning government intervention on the behalf of a discriminated population. I don't disagree ,at all, that the industrialized economy won that war; I disagree that the issue of slavery itself was solved, even indirectly, by the free market, in a free market vs. government intervention thread.

We're talking a President who baited the South into the war and suspended habeas corpus.
Segregation involved Kennedy sending the National Guard down to Alabama.

I don't think these two instances, slavery and segregation, are particularly good examples is all.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
The war was inevitable as soon as the Treat of Guadalupe Hildago was signed, and most likely even before that, probably during the Jackson presidency.

The National Guard didn't stop segregation, it was fought over long after Kennedy was shot. The mass media, a Northern, capitalist, "free market," invention, is what ultimately swayed public opinion so that segregation literally couldn't continue.

The force of the Federal government in both instances pushed things along, but both would have ended eventually anyway. All that it would have taken to end slavery was for the North and Europe to stop buying slave cotton.