single fin question

23rdstMB

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Nov 14, 2002
Home
Currently, I have this http://www.trueames.com/normflex.htm fin on my 7'6" diamond tail. The board has a bit of a retro to it, it's wide point is defiantely forward, but its rails and thickness are more contemporary. This fin has worked great for me here in Cal, very looses and flexy, but I'm not so sure it would do in juicier waves. I'm taking this board over to Hawaii in November and I want to maybe bring another fin. Anybody have any suggestions?

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
You don't mention width of your board or it's tail width.
You don't mention your weight and where in Oahu, and what size, are you planning to surf it.
I'd get the 8" and 9", and maybe look for fins there.
Depending on the above, you should be able to handle up to 12' Sunset and Pipe with your board, or be limited to 4' South Shore....again depending on the above.

Halcyon

Nep status
Jul 16, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Visit site
Hey 23,

I've made a few custom center fins that have worked out real well. Have a look at the 8.0" Mental in the attachment. It's on a 7'10" Hap Jacobs 211. That's ridden on the central coast all the time. Finding the right template and size is sometimes a hit a miss proposition because surfing style and wave conditions vary so much. Let me know if I can be of some help.

Aug 27, 2004
I'd try a smaller fin too, like 7 1/2 or even 7. Usually I take off sideways on single fins. Large fins can hold you back and cost a lot of speed, the board will be stubborn and won't take the speed line of the wave. Different foils matter too, try a Greenough for example. Most fins are not designed for shortboards, but for a thruster / longboard combination.