Shaping My First Board.

Aug 17, 2004
Hey Guys and Girls.
I been thinking about shaping a board for a hell of a long time and a picked up the september issue of tracks and it had some tips on how to do it. So that was the boost i needed to get me going. I got some questions for you:

- How much will all this cost me, note i have a few tools needed.
- Whats the best board to shape first.
- What will the room I do it in need.

Cheers,

Thanks for all the help.

Aug 24, 2004
The cost will vary according to what type of board you will be shaping. Length, channels, fins, paint, etc. all effect the final cost of the board. Before you start, look for a glass shop in your area that will accept boards from "backyard" shapers like yourself. Some shops will only accept boards from pre-arranged, high volume clients.

For your first board I would recommend simply copying your favorite board. My experience has been that it easiest to shape whatever you most often ride. If you have a board to use as a reference, you'll be happier with the finished product.

As far as your shaping room goes... you really only need a stand to work on. Flourescent lighting mounted on the walls is great for reading shadows on the rails and a vacuum system attached to your planer is great too, but all that can come later. Don't forget the respirator or dust mask.

Lastly, get comfortable with the planer. Its a little scary at first but will save you alot of time.

Some resources:

www.foamez.com
http://swaylocks.com

Good luck!

riverjetty

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 18, 2003
SW oregon
- How much will all this cost me, note i have a few tools needed.
- Whats the best board to shape first.
- What will the room I do it in need.

Cheers,

Thanks for all the help.
Just made my first board this year, a 9 foot longboard. Cost about 200 bucks plus shipping for everything materialwise, blank, glass, resin and fin.

I have no idea what the best board is, although I imagine the board you want would be a good start. My second will be a fish.

Did mine in half the garage I commadered off the wife, and she's not getting it back.

Aug 17, 2004
Cheers guys thanks for the help.

I am clearing out this shed that used to hold fire wood and its is perfect for fist time job. I just need some plans on how to make a shaping stand.

Thanks for all the help.