recomend dimensions

Oct 30, 2003
norcal
I have a 6'2 x 19 x 2.5 that i love. i want to order a similar version of this board but for the winter that can handle more size and has a bit more foam. I am 5'11 and weigh 195. the board has a flat rocker under the chest and a bit of exaggerated tail curve, also faily light single to double concave and the wide point is just behind the center, the board works insane. I'm thinking 6'6 x 19 x 2 9/16. Would you recomend a bit narrower? I surf in and around Santa Cruz. Thanks

pickles

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2003
Ventura, CA
Sounds to me like you've got it pretty well dialed in ... my small wave boards have a simmilar design. I can go 8+ foot faces on my board thats like that with no problems, so I'd focus on adding a board for bigger days. The dims you chose are good, or even go 6'8", and make it a semi-gun design ... narrower round pin tail, more rocker, maybe 2 3/4" thick. Something designed to get into waves early and hold.

Then you keep riding your current board up to about 8 feet, and swap out to the semigun when it starts getting heavy.

pickles

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2003
Ventura, CA
Reread your post ... I also do have a "step up shortboard", 2" longer than my small wave board with more nose rocker, regular (instead of hyper) tail rocker, and thinner rails. Its a cool board too, a little more in control, smoother, more confident in good surf than my smaller board ... but also a little slower and not as snappy if the waves are not firing.

2" longer is plenty for that kind of design, you can really feel the difference when paddling in. When you said 6'6" I assumed you meant a semigun.