Private Wall talkin'

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
huryanpost said:
F(king morons need to build it on Mexico’s border
With Guatemala if they are trying to stem the tide
Or should I say in flux of poor souls(for the most part)
Trying to lift themselves up by their bootstraps.
Funny that they'll travel thousands of miles for work and a better life but the Trump faithful in coal country can't be bothered to do even a tenth of that.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
These guys are saying their costs are $4M per mile, which who even knows if that's true, and that they already have other property owners and other segments lined up. They apparently think there's more donation money out there that might come in if/when they can demonstrate some results.

So if their fence actually does divert the traffic to other non-fenced properties, owned by other property owners, then over time that could change the math on which nearby property owners choose to participate.

If these guys know what's good for them they will go to extreme lengths to account for every dime of the donation money because the no-borders contingent will be scouring the situation in search of any corruption. If these guys are dumb about it then they get what they get.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
GDaddy said:
These guys are saying their costs are $4M per mile, which who even knows if that's true, and that they already have other property owners and other segments lined up. They apparently think there's more donation money out there that might come in if/when they can demonstrate some results.

So if their fence actually does divert the traffic to other non-fenced properties, owned by other property owners, then over time that could change the math on which property owners choose to participate.
don't the property owners have to pay tax on the fence? wonder if they've factored that in

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
stu dog said:
GDaddy said:

So if their fence actually does divert the traffic to other non-fenced properties, owned by other property owners, then over time that could change the math on which property owners choose to participate.
don't the property owners have to pay tax on the fence? wonder if they've factored that in
That's a good question. I have no idea what the answer to that might be.

Depending on the definition of assessed value being used it might hinge on the question of whether these properties would end up being worth more than the unfenced properties with the similar location. Or whether the state legislatures would exempt that type of improvement from property tax assessments. Or whether the property owners can get away with deeding the easement and improvements to the federal or state government.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
stu dog said:
GDaddy said:

Why, yes they do. The county assessor will assign a value to the improvement.

huryanpost

Michael Peterson status
Dec 9, 2010
Kento said:
huryanpost said:
F(king morons need to build it on Mexico’s border
With Guatemala if they are trying to stem the tide
Or should I say in flux of poor souls(for the most part)
Trying to lift themselves up by their bootstraps.
Funny that they'll travel thousands of miles for work and a better life but the Trump faithful in coal country can't be bothered to do even a tenth of that.
I’m a white boy born and raised in South Texas. Been working construction
for 43 years, with a little time spent in the Gulf plying my trade as a deckhand
on a wooden hull 72 foot St. Augustine trawler looking for the shrimpies. All this time
In these lines of work the only ones I strove to emulate or respected me and tried to keep up and learn
were not considered Americans. There respect was important to me for I knew
a little bit of what they sacrificed to be where they ended up.
Hats off baby!

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
GDaddy said:
If these guys know what's good for them they will go to extreme lengths to account for every dime of the donation money because the no-borders contingent will be scouring the situation in search of any corruption. If these guys are dumb about it then they get what they get.
Do you have any sources showing "the no-borders contingent" getting mad about this? As far as I can tell the POV from the left is pretty much just :hah: @ the idiots who'd spend their own money on this.

Like I said, not done with tax dollars and done up to code, IDGAF.