parasites

Jul 14, 2003
hawaii
after traveling to Indo I suspect that I may have picked up a gut parasite, such as giarrdia. however I am now in Mexico and don´t have time or $ for expensive testing. could someone recommend medicine that kills a broad spectrum of parasites including giarrdia. I would be greatful for any info on the subject.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
I would strongly suggest against self treatment. A stool test for parasites is a better idea.
The usual treatment for Giardia is metronidazole. I just got back from Indonesia myself and there could be a lot of things other than Giardia causing your problem. So, I say save your dough and go....straight to the surf doc!

Jul 14, 2003
hawaii
In last years Big issue of Surfer They recommended taking a course of something just as precaution every so often, although I can`t remember what that was. Also what are the side effects of Metronidazole if any.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Metronidazole's main worry is in combination with alcohol it could make you pretty sick. Some people get upset stomach and cramping even without the alcohol combo.

The general run of the mill "worm" pill is Vermox or mebendazole. I wouldn't suggest taking it without proven infection.