*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Yea I'm curious, as I think a ski resort in Italy? or EU somewhere, had a covid outbreak and wondered what the US resorts will come up with. I've seen opening dates, as usuall, with some Tahoe places, around Dec. 10th. Would love to pick up a condo somewhere if the slopes are reasonable empty due to covid...

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Here in CO they are planning on opening when snow allows. Lifts will be ridden single or with family members. Lot of places going to limit ticket sales and require them to be purchased in advance.

Also, I am given to understand that there is a phenomenon referred to as a "lodge". I don't know what its for, but you can't ski in it so who cares, and apparently they will enforce social distancing measures within.
Mammoth/June are planning to open and going to limit non-passholder tickets. I've heard of Epic doing something similar and even having a reservation process for passholders. Buddy said it might be an easy work around that you reserve at the beginning of the week even if you're not planning. there's no limits on reservations throughout the season so reserve every week and that will cover you for last minute powder strikes. I'm planning on trying to avoid the lodges. Bring food in the car and eat in the parking lot. Should be ok in the rest. wear a mask. no gondola rides. get take out for dinner. same stuff we're doing now.

the Europe ski covid outbreak may have been due to it was a party town resort. eating & drinking in bars could have been the big part of the spread vs actually being on lifts and riding.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/05/everyone-was-drenched-in-the-virus-was-this-austrian-ski-resort-a-covid-19-ground-zero

Reactions: JBerry

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Bring food in the car and eat in the parking lot.
This is how most folks were rolling at my hill even pre-covid. I'm guessing pretty much everyone will go that way this season. I might even think about upping my game and getting a little propane powered grill this year and do up some burgers on bluebird days.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
This is how most folks were rolling at my hill even pre-covid. I'm guessing pretty much everyone will go that way this season. I might even think about upping my game and getting a little propane powered grill this year and do up some burgers on bluebird days.
Lara bars on the lift
optimizes time on the mountain

Reactions: crustBrother

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Lara bars on the lift
optimizes time on the mountain
Totally. When I was younger and lucky to get 3 ski days a year the concept of the lunch break seemed utterly insane to me.

Now that I'm 52 and shooting for 30 days, a half hour break to rest, eat, and hydrate is starting to really make sense to me.

Reactions: Random Guy

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Between La Niña and Covid restrictions I have no idea what this season has in store. But I desperately want to get back to the mountains and get on some snow.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Hell yes.

I used to love doing that way back in less complicated times. Break out the BBQ, charcoal, burgers, dogs. That was back in the Kirkweed days; great times. Had a couple sixers and would just post up for a couple hours in the lot, tossing back a couple beers, burning a few, and treating everyone else in the lot to what they felt like having. Definitely wasn't the only one doing that.

Also same days you could just roll up at noon or so and buy a day pass off someone leaving early for $10 (or a nug) and get a dozen or two runs in. Wire cutters and duct tape were your friend. Lots of things you can't do anymore. Unless there's a massive revolution against the corporatization of the ski/snowboard world, I don't see those good times ever coming back, at least not at the boutique resorts. Can you even board a lift without being scanned through anymore?

Hopefully this season works. Could use a good day at Baldy.

• Love

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Between La Niña and Covid restrictions I have no idea what this season has in store. But I desperately want to get back to the mountains and get on some snow.
NPAC is starting to wake up. already some NW swell. whether that's long term and weather associated? Now that Bachelor is on the Ikon pass I want to go there this winter

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
NPAC is starting to wake up. already some NW swell. whether that's long term and weather associated? Now that Bachelor is on the Ikon pass I want to go there this winter

I'm trying to plan a trip with a cat outfitter somewhere in the northern rockies. I'm hesitant to book anything out of the country any time soon. Otherwise I'd be looking in BC.

But yeah, bachelor has always been on my list. I'd like to ride the banked slalom.

Reactions: Leaverite

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
I'm trying to plan a trip with a cat outfitter somewhere in the northern rockies. I'm hesitant to book anything out of the country any time soon. Otherwise I'd be looking in BC.

But yeah, bachelor has always been on my list. I'd like to ride the banked slalom.
non convid year, do Island Lake Lodge for cat backcountry. did there in even in late March long time ago and still was powder every day. such insane terrain

Reactions: $kully

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal

For snowcat skiing/boarding. Mount Bailey in OR. South of Mt Bachelor. Another Cascade range volcanic peak. 365 degree access to routes from the summit depending on snow conditions. A big plus is it's close, and packages are a lot cheaper than other cat skiing venues. You just need to watch the weather and choose your dates wisely.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
This could be a pretty epic covid ski destination.....

Meadow skipping + hipsters = meh

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It really sucks that Squaw Valley will no longer be named Squaw Valley after 2021. Culturally inapproriate. Maybe something new like Bogner Valley...
Fixed for appropriateness.

I just hope Squaw Tit outside Baker retains its name. Likewise Squaw t!ts outside of Gila Bend, AZ. As they are useless in all phases of tangible life, SJWs have no idea how to read maps so those places are probably safe.

How about Squaw be renamed Female Native American Vagina Mountain? It's a little wordy; I'll leave the resident editorial staff to streamline it all. If it makes the Frannie acronym, that would be :jamon:

All kidding aside, would be stocked to get on mountains again. Kirkwood Xmas/NY before last was most recent time and was as good as it gets.

My dread is that a certain SoCal mountain known for awesome terrain and zero BS foo-foo peripherals may be done b/c of Bobcat Fire and that sucks. :cry:

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaverite

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Hell yes.

I used to love doing that way back in less complicated times. Break out the BBQ, charcoal, burgers, dogs. That was back in the Kirkweed days; great times. Had a couple sixers and would just post up for a couple hours in the lot, tossing back a couple beers, burning a few, and treating everyone else in the lot to what they felt like having. Definitely wasn't the only one doing that.

Also same days you could just roll up at noon or so and buy a day pass off someone leaving early for $10 (or a nug) and get a dozen or two runs in. Wire cutters and duct tape were your friend. Lots of things you can't do anymore. Unless there's a massive revolution against the corporatization of the ski/snowboard world, I don't see those good times ever coming back, at least not at the boutique resorts. Can you even board a lift without being scanned through anymore?

Hopefully this season works. Could use a good day at Baldy.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Hell yeah. Wolf Creek has been on my radar for a long time but haven't got over there. So much more snow than most places in Colorado. And even better to hear that they are fighting the corporate takeover. It also looks like their ticket prices aren't retardedly expensive like other mountains.

The corporate monopolization and overdevelopment of all these mountains (and America in general) really needs to end, preferably at the business end of an avalanche cannon.