Newly Shaped Fish: glassing questions

Sep 11, 2004
I just finished shaping a 75'' x 2 3/4'' x 20'' board with a swallow tail. I am ready to glass it but dont know when to put in the leash plug, yet alone how to exactly get it into the board and where to put it. So if you know how to do it, write back.

I am going to lay 2 layers of 6 oz. cloth on both sides. If you have any suggestions about how i go about rapping the rails and such, write back.

Finally, whats the easiest way to go about glassing on the fins?

surfgearhawaii

OTF status
Jun 7, 2004
oahu, hawaii
Visit site
Try a "BP" leash plug. They are inserted at the end of the board and you can place prior to glassing. Your leash will break before the plug will give way. Will work on a swallow tail. Can find at most surf manufacturing suppliers. If you can't find one pm me with your address and I will send you one.

the leash string comes out of the two small holes in the picture above.

Alledged advantages: easy to place prior to glassing, nuke proof, prevents "tombstoning" of board after wipeout.

Disadvantage: when placed on pin tailed boards be careful post wipeouts to stay underwater a few extra seconds. The board shoots out of the water(like a missle) sometimes with the rebound of the stretched leash.

wood laminated over plug

no wood over black plug

Regarding all your other glassing questions invest in the video "glassing 101" or have someone who has done it help you. I personally would use 6oz bottom and 6/4oz top and most would think that is overkill on your board. Have fun on your project.
warmest aloha,
sgh