netherlands surf?

Dec 2, 2004
does it exist and adn how good is it in january or feburary? my club i am in in school might go there iwas gonna bring a board and my suit if there were gonna be waves.

LeeD

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
My windsurfing buds say there is lots of tiny, Texas style waves mostly, usually in the 2-3' range, draggy slow, but at least it's surf.
Winter is best, so timing is good. Takes a well aimed swell to get in, so don't plan on using your regular tri fin chip board.
Maybe a dedicated small wave board or minifun.

LeeD

Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
Bring a 42+ for sure.
A traditional 40/41 is really for juicy 5+' sized waves, something you won't see in Holland.

LBInjSurfer

Michael Peterson status
Apr 25, 2002
Maritime Forest, NJ
LeeD.. although I haven't been there, I've been doing research on that whole area for the past year or so.. there are definately waves to be had.. most of the time they are like you described.. 2-3' & not awhole lot of power.. however there are good waves to be had.. hope anyone who ventures there scores..

LeeD

Jun 26, 2003
Berkeley,CA
For sure. Like S Texas, it can get overhead at times, and even with offshore winds and good shape, but your small wave surfboard, or oversized boogie, should handle that size just barely.
Remember, no one there has gun surfboards or really hi performance boogies, as they need boards they can use most of the time.
Yeah, some windsurf mags show Zandvort (sp), with head high surf and side offshore winds, but lots of rows of whitewater and long paddle all the way out.

Dec 28, 2004
Yes there is surf in Holland, and in jan/feb. it can be pretty good, BUT also very cold! Temp. around freezing and the water will be like 4-5 Celsius. check www.surfholland.nl click on gallery to see some pictures or this one: http://www.arts-pictures.tk/ which shows pictures of Domburg, a place south in Holland. Good luck!

Oct 21, 2004
There is some surf in Holland. I lived in Leiden for a while and mainly surfed Schevenegen but also surfed Noordvijk a few times. It doesn't break well very often but there were a few days when you could get some fun rides. Bring your small wave board cause it doesn't get above head high (at least from my experience).